5.0 out of 5 stars Metallic Spheres (or Echoes and Dark Side Revisited)
This album has David Gilmour stamped all over it and quite a wonderful creation it is. More trippy than ambient, this collaboration is more than just the sum of it constituent parts. It plays to the strengths of all the collaborators and the finished article is a rich, immersive experience. Indeed, the "3D60" version is mixed specifically for headphone use to mimic a...
Published on 13 Oct. 2010 by pableonus

3.0 out of 5 stars Chilled to the point of ennui...
On the one hand...

There are two tracks on this album. They are - A Sigh At The Gates Of Ennui, and Soporific On The Far Edge Of Snore. Actually they're not called that at all as that would take way too much effort, maaan. The tracks are actually imaginatively monikered "The Metallic Side" & "The Spheres Side", which must've taken some time to think up...
Published on 22 Oct. 2010 by Roger the Dodger

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 59 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 12 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Metallic Spheres (Audio CD)
When you enter a star rating for a product on Amazon, the caption that appears as you mouse over 3 stars is 'It's OK' and that is exactly what this album is.
There's just nothing there to inspire or make you want to hear more.
I have always been a very big fan of Gilmour and like most of the work the Orb have released too. So I was expecting the two together to be so much more.
Maybe it's just me expecting too much or I have missed something, somewhere, whatever it is, this is one album I will not be reaching for very often.

On a side note : The cover on the copy I received is Silver, not the black the illustration shows. ( Not really important, just thought I would point it out )

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsure.., 11 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Metallic Spheres (Audio CD)
About this but hey its something new from Gilmour so it had to be bought with some trepidation i might add i neednt have worried its a great album i have the deluxe version and the 3D60 album is supurb,very lush sounding.

Thmubs up to the postman for getting it to me on time and amazon of course.

Gilmour sounds as good as ever his playing is sublime The Orb have passed me by if i'm honest but on this showing i'll be giving their back catalogue a try i'm that impressed with it.

The packaging (its white for the deluxe version, gate fold sleeve) is flimsy to say the least its one i'm going to have to be careful with i think as the years pass by not a deal breaker but something to keep an eye on maybe.

In summing up then its a very good album i prefer metallic side as a whole but i'll go out on a limb and say its all great but i would add its not for everyone (Gilmour doesn't sing as such shame really he would have added yet more in my view but its a minor quibble).

Highly recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars Metallic Spheres? More like Clanking Balls, 26 Oct. 2010
T. Hooper (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metallic Spheres (Audio CD)
So much less than the sum of its parts, this has the feel of something opportunistic that was thrown together on a Friday afternoon. The Orb are at their least diverse and creative and Gilmour merely mooches around playing some stock guitar lines that feel terribly dated. Had they got their heads together they might well have made the most of this otherwise inspired partnering.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a David GIlmour album, 17 Dec. 2010
Martin Diggins (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metallic Spheres (Audio CD)
Bought this as a long time fan of David Gilmour - very disappointing as his contribution is minimal. Really shouldn't have his name on the cover at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to hype, 27 April 2011
This review is from: Metallic Spheres (Audio CD)
The second disk is much better than the first. I must admit I had in my mind the idea of music sweeping me up and taking me on a journey. Progressing and evolving melodies. On disk one I got a thumping endless beat that occasional found an interesting and exciting melody, just before it changed to something else discordant. I was quite disappointed, I had hoped for a touch of Floyd mixed with some Jon Michael jare type progressive instrumental ambient music. Not what I got. Disk two is better... but not as good as the hype.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor, 1 Mar. 2012
John R. J. Taylor "jumbo" (london uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metallic Spheres (Audio CD)
Don't know what the 4 and 5 star reviewers are listening to. This is an unresolved meandering mess to my ears.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Expectations, 27 Jan. 2013
Mr. M. P. Dibley (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metallic Spheres (Audio CD)
I don't know a thing about The Orb, but when I saw that David Gilmore is playing on here I had to have it. Bought it eighteen months ago and thought then, "This is nonsense". I put it away, and thinking that my taste might have changed, I just got it out again. I was right then, and it still is. How can you write such boring music and then waste two C.D.'s ? Awfull drivel. Now, where's the bin ?

1.0 out of 5 stars Listen before buying, 20 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Metallic Spheres (Audio CD)
I have never heard of Orb before. The only reason for buying this cd is that I am a great admirer of David Gilmour's guitar playing. The music is not unpleasant to listen to, but lacks range. It flows along as you were relaxing in a boat, interrupted by some odd sounds you won't bother to check out. Side 2 is a little more varying. In spite of this the cd is in my opinion boring and repeating. Gilmour's playing does not raise the level on this cd. His playing is part of the picture they are trying to express. He sits out behind the landscapesound without creating any highlights. After having watched a video clip on Youtube I had expected something compared to the playing of Echoes or Shine on. If you like to hear Gilmour playing with other artists better buy some Pretty Things, Propaganda or Brian Ferry. I will still check out contributions from Gilmour in the future, but Orb is down and out with me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special, 12 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Metallic Spheres (Audio CD)
This is an OK album but nothing more. Sounds like System 7's worst album mixed with 80's Tangerine Dream add in some Orb touches and thats about it. Nothing special in the way of Guitar playing either.

As you can see from above there is nothing new about this album we've heard it all before by other people and done much better.
However that said, it all sounds very nice and it's not a bad album hence 3 stars but it's not the first thing I would pull of the shelf to play.

Expected more from the Orb and Gilmour sounds the same as always, nothing new and very middle of the road.

Apart from Pomme Fritz it's the most uninteresting Orb album yet.

Most interesting thing Gilmour has done in years though.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a jam session and sounds like it, 13 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Metallic Spheres (Audio CD)
I thought I would try it as i am a fan of David Gilmour and because many of the reviews were positive. However it sounds like a jam session which is basically what it is. Ok for some background music in the right situation but not one I'm going to sit down and listen to much. It was always going to be a gamble, in fact 3 stars maybe a bit generous.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 59 | Next ›

Metallic Spheres
Metallic Spheres by The Orb (Audio CD - 2010)