1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile investment, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Pontec PondoPolar 36825 Anti-Ice Pond Heater (Garden & Outdoors)
I've had standard pond-heaters in the past to protect the creatures in my admittedly small pond from prolonged frost so finding this one found me a little scepticle but keen on its sustainability (ie no metal to corrode, no electricity needed and no cable to trip over).

This device has been the best thing ever because since I bought it, there have been very few frosts! However, when it has been below freezing, its been very effective. It does what it says - it stops the water freezing underneath.

Two things worth thinking about though - firstly the size of it (it was bigger than I anticipated which, for a small pond, meant it covers about a fifth of the total water surface) and secondly, living in a windy area as I do, it blew off the pond several times during gusts until I devised an anchor to weight it slightly, just enough to stop it flying off.

I'm thinking of painting it so that it blends better in the garden but then what when it snows!