4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good
I bought this as a package deal since I was buying my wife two books at the time and got 1 free. I chose this based upon nothing more than there wasn't anything else that caught my eye in those few minutes of looking.

Published on 9 Aug 2011 by Gary Newport

3.0 out of 5 stars "We were nine. Three are dead.
Published on 1 Sep 2010 by Andromeda Descendent

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 9 Aug 2011
This review is from: I Am Number Four (Paperback)

I read the blurb when I actually decided to start reading this and my heart sank; alien invasion, people with superpowers and a storyline that seemed to be an inverse model of The Invaders - with either an impossible ending or a never ending set of 'oh they nearly got us' scenarios.

Anyhow, I was pleasantly surprised.

Okay, this is not the strongest of stories and it certainly is not unique. The plot is on the whole obvious and there is the constant feeling that to believe the remaining few Loriens can defeat an entire race of beings that have already trounced their planet is a step too far. There are times when you want the 'hero' to actually do something (a little Harry Potter in that he seems to be 'lucky' rather than clever or skillful).

Given all of that, surely I have rated this too high!?

Yet, I read this quickly and found myself wanting to continue on. I found myself enjoying this 'teen' book despite the predictability and annoying 'oh, no the hero has fallen over again!' situations.

I found the writing style consistent throughout, the obvious elements satisfying and the flow set to a good rate.

I gave this four (hey, it's like the title told me to do this) because it is a good read and it allows you to escape the normal run of things. It is chewing gum for the mind and helps you relax whilst keeping you engaged. I like the characters and I accepted the basic concepts. A good book in all and worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars We were nine. Three are dead. I am number four., 10 Mar 2011
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Number Four (Hardcover)
Once there were nine, sent to keep their race alive, kept divided for their safety. Now three are dead, and the rest will have to fight for their survival. Number Four is John Smith. He's just had to flee Florida with his guardian Henri for fear of discovery, and now with their new identities they have settled in Paradise, Ohio. Simple rules have kept John alive - never stand out, never get noticed, never reveal who you are and always be ready to leave. But now those rules are getting harder and harder to keep, and John is putting himself at risk...

This was one of those books I kept hearing about but put off reading as more than a couple of people had described it as Twilight from the guy's perspective. After seeing the previews for the upcoming movie, my curiosity was piqued enough that I grabbed a copy from my local library. I really enjoyed this and, while I understand the comparisons with Twilight, found it to be unique among most of the current young adult offerings.

I found the plot to be reminiscent of Roswell and Dark Angel, but different enough to be interesting. The blurb really caught my attention, and although I was a little nervous about it being written in first person the storyline sucked me in to the point that I barely noticed the writing style which would usually irritate me. The book has a really lyrical, descriptive quality to it and I think it will make an incredible movie.

I liked John as a main character and he is well developed. I especially liked his friend Sam with all his conspiracy theories and alien obsession, and his guardian Henri. I will admit that most of the characters are a little stereotypical in their appearance, and racial diversity is pretty much non-existent. However, I'd rather have a book full of only blue-eyed blondes than one where the author forces different races into the storyline and the book becomes a mess of stereotypes.

Now the things I didn't enjoy so much, although there isn't much. I did see a couple of the twists coming quite early on but the only thing that really bugged me was that the author is actually a character in the book. It seems like cheating and a cheap ploy to play with little kid's minds. It didn't affect my enjoyment of the book, but it does affect my respect for the author.

All in all this was a great read and I'm looking forward to reading The Power of Six when it is released.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 9/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 10/10

Overall: 48/50

3.0 out of 5 stars "We were nine. Three are dead., 1 Sep 2010
Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I Am Number Four (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am Number Four". This introduction on the cover really piqued my interest, and was a major factor in my choosing this book. It even offset the dislike I have for "narrator names" instead of giving the true authors. Four is a teenager who has had to leave every place he has ever lived because he is being hunted by aliens who are out to kill him. He's not being paranoid, for he is an alien too and he's next on the evil aliens' hit list.

With his adoptive father and mentor, John Smith (as he calls himself this time around, and he may as well wear an "I am here" tee-shirt) settles down yet again, in yet another small town. But this time things are different. He is finally developing the superpowers his people are known for. He falls in love. He befriends a geeky conspiracy theorist kid. He adopts an odd stray dog. He gets on the wrong side of the school bully, who just happens to be the school's star player, principal's pet and ex-boyfriend of his new girlfriend. That's right, John Smith has moved to Clichetown USA.

I may sound like I'm being sarcastic, but despite having one dimensional baddies and a story that for the most part goes exactly where you know it will, this is actually a very enjoyable book. Don't look at me like that - I don't know why something so predictable and derivative kept me turning the pages, but there you have it. It's written with such enthusiasm and aplomb that none of the above actually mattered to me. Would I read the sequel though? No.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome book, 26 Aug 2010
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
awesome book - I can definately see why it has already been optioned for a film. I have read a few reviews complaining it is too simplistic or famous fivey but I don't really know what the fuss is about - it is YA fiction not hard core sci fi. I really wish people would take a story for what it is rather than always trying to compare it to something else.

I loved the premise of this book from the outset (I am secretly a little bit of a sci fi girl - but only a little bit). The whole idea that aliens are among us isn't original but I liked the twist that they were here to escape other aliens in the hope that they would return to their own planet once again. Much time was spent giving you a real feel of number four's home world through his dreams/visions

The main driving force for me was the relationship between Henri and John/number four. I loved the way they were with other as if they were father and son and it felt very geniune as the story developed. I also loved Sam (he was like to John as Willow is to Buffy)

I liked the idea that John had to go and do all these normal human things like go and fit in at high school and put up with all the rubbish the new kid had to deal with like anyone else. This was good as it contrasted perfectly with the fact that he also had to get to grips with his legacies (new kick ass aliens powers). The scene where he finally starts to get to grips with them and uses them to help Henri rocked!

The story was action packed all the way through and often very gripping (I literally couldn't put it down at times) but what I liked about this was that rather than save up everything until the last moment different events were spread out through the book rather than there being a slow build up to a final event.

That's not to say the final event wasn't awesome in its own right. The final section and the battle that ensued was truly epic. It rounded the book up well and set up nicely for the next book.

The only criticism I had is that why was John more suspicious of Bernie? If I was I don't know why he wouldn't have been. I also wasn't fussed with the relationship he had with Sarah but it didn't offend me one way or the other.

A brilliant first book in what should be an epic series. I can't wait for the next one.

[...]

1.0 out of 5 stars Sick Buckets at Standby, 5 April 2014
Disappointingly dull, formulaic plot and despairingly poorly written. The characters deserve no empathy in a book that has a simple premise made to extend the length of the book (particularly the convoluted last quarter) and one would suspect the course of the quadriligy. The authors twisting of the blade in the back has to be the interspersed teen romance which will have you retching. Had the writing been more stylised these would be forgivable crimes against 'literature' but all I can say is 'bring back Blyton. All is forgiven ...'

5.0 out of 5 stars amazingly gripping, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: I Am Number Four (Kindle Edition)
It was super and held your attention while reading, and captured your thoughts when you weren't. Overall a wonderful read, recommended to anyone and everyone!!!😃😂😅

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: I Am Number Four (Kindle Edition)
A nice easy read that quickly draws you in and keeps you hooked until the very end. Can't wait to read the next one!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: I Am Number Four (Hardcover)
To be honest I didn't get very far through the book before giving up I thought the style of writing very basic and immature , he did this , he did that etc . . . Perhaps more suitable for younger readers .

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly enjoyed this, 28 April 2012
Laura Hartley (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book or not because I'm not usually into sci-fi books, personally I think they look a lot better on screen, but this book is different. Perhaps what makes this book easy to read and understand and less sci-fi-y is that although the protagonist, John, is an alien, he still looks and acts like a human, the only difference is that he was born on 'Lorien', not Earth. I'm not entirely sure whether this book belongs under the genre 'sci-fi' as to be honest there is not that much alien/out of this world content. The majority of the book takes place on Earth with brief glances at other planets, and there are only two alien races, both of which look pretty much like humans. This book is aimed at young adults and I think that both boys and girls can enjoy it. There are both battle scenes and love scenes which brings a balance that is just right. The book does not contain lots of made up words that are difficult to understand, pretty much everything can be found in your standard (human) dictionary. The love aspect of this novel is predictable, but to be honest, that can be said for just about every story with romance, the rest of the story; however, is not. There are some unexpected suprises to keep you on your toes and I think the minor characters add a lot to this book.

It is quite an emotional story about a boy, who is next on his biggest enemies hit list, trying desperately to stay alive so that he can save his planet. The relationships between the characters are true and this offers much to the plotline. The book does differ slightly from the film, but the main plot remains the same.

I highly recommend this book to young adults, and if you've never tried reading sci-fi before, this is as good a place as any to start and ease yourself in!

Find more reviews on [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am Number Four, 15 Jan 2012
This review is from: I Am Number Four (Kindle Edition)
When I watched the movie I never knew there had been a book and when I found it on amazon I sent a sample to my Kindle and I loved it and went straight back onto Amazon and I bought it. Best 2.99 I've ever spent!

I Am Number Four