5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the money, 23 Feb 2012
A. Styles - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tamron SP AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di USD lens for Sony/Minolta (Accessory)
I bought this lens as a replacement for the Tamron 70-300mm LD Macro lens that I have had now for about two years. I bought an Alpha 850 a few months ago (full frame) and wanted better glass to make the most of it's potential without being able to afford one of the Sony G series lenses. After reading reviews on this site and others I decided to purchase this lens.

The first thing you notice when you open the box is the size and weight of the thing. It is solid and well made. The zoom and focus rings have good grips on them and there is no play on either ring. They are also impressively smooth in operation.

On the side of the lens there is an AF/MF switch which functions fine and you will see from the picture I have added that there is no vibration control logo or switch on this version as it doesn't need it. The USD motor this lens is fitted with is very quiet and fast. My old Tamron relied on the body's motor and was quite slow and noisy in operation. The AF metering is fast and accurate and works in all but the poorest of light conditions.

One thing to be aware of on the subject of focus is that the manual focus ring is still movable even when the auto focus is in use and if you touch it it will move your focus off. It is not locked off when the AF switch is used so it is something to be aware of when taking a shot. I don't find it a problem though myself.

The hood provided with this lens is deep and does a good job of blocking out stray light. As it is an internal focusing lens it is of the petal variety as it doesn't rotate of course. The one problem with the hood is that it is difficult to replace the lens cap on after you have taken a shot. Also, if you wanted to put a filter on or rotate a polariser that would also require you to take it off first.

I have found the image quality to be good on my full frame camera with only a small amount of vignetting at the the wide open end of the scale. Stopping down soon clears it away and the images are crisp and colourful as you would hope. I also find that CA is well controlled even in pretty harsh conditions.

I feel this is an excellent zoom lens for the money although I can't work out why the Sony version is about 20 more on average (from multiple suppliers) than the Canon and Nikon versions which both have the VC IS system on. Surely it is cheaper to produce the lens without the VC function? Anyway, it is a small thing which you will forget when you start using this lens as it is so good.

Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knock hill racing Moto, 15 Jun 2013
Wow what an astonishing piece of photography equipment for that price as I write this review I'm at knockhill racing beside Perth and omg I must say that me being a 21 amatuer photographer it is certainly an amazing lens for the price your paying the zoom is second to none no fuzzy or pixelated photo brill and it's good for a twentyish foot photo I've got some cracking photos with the motor bikes (no they weren't standing) haha 100 plus ;) haha but overall would recommend this to anyone who is willing to get a decent price for an amazing lens :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamron SP 70-300MM, 24 Jan 2013
J. Barton - See all my reviews
I recently upgraded from the cheaper DI LD version of this lens
and am amazed at the difference,
I used it at a local woods i often go to and managed some
of the best wildlife shots i'v ever got,
and that's just my first outing with the lens!
Even at the 300mm end i found little drop off in sharpness,
Focusing is very quiet and the zoom ring smooth,
I use it with a Sony A57.
I highly recommend this lens and believe you would
need to spend a hell of a lot more money to better it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Oct 2012
I bought this lens to go with the Sony A57 and I am delighted with the results. Fast and accurate focusing with little need for adjusting shots in Photoshop afterwards as the quality is superb. Photographing moving subjects is no problem and I have had no vignetting even in low light conditions. On full zoom hand held I have had excellent results but a tripod would be needed I'm sure for anything less than 1/25 sec. It is a heavy lens but aren't they all? The switch between manual and autofocus is a little loose as when I put the lens in my bag it does tend to shift position so I have to remember to check it before use. I would definitely recommend this lens.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have piece of glass for any budding amateur photographer, 23 Feb 2014
Mr. C. Buck "Hope this helps" (Mansfield, England) - See all my reviews
I agree with most other reviews, it has quick crisp quite focusing and the picture quality is great...

However I have a few little niggles which has stopped me from awarding 5 stars.
1. The lens hood is so large it's hard the replace the lens cap.
2. The lens cap "pops" off too easily
3. The manual focus ring has no "stop" point, it just keeps spinning, which is annoying when trying to find infinity focus in the dark.
4. The price. Yes its very good value for money but why is it more expensive than the equivalent Nikon or Canon version?

All minor issue's granted but still I’m just offering my personal opinion.

Just one more thing, the lens is pretty heavy (which for me is a good thing) but if you’re intending to carry this around affixed to your camera you may want to think about a neck strap or monopod!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 2 Nov 2013
This lens gets 5 stars for good reason, it works! its relatively cheap and the auto focus drive is silent.
slightly heavy but that makes it more stable, takes good clear,sharp pictures.
If you do not want to pay a lot for a lens that gives performance close to much more expensive ones then buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes great photographs, 11 Aug 2013
The lens is very well made and feels good in the hand. When fitted to my Sony A77 it really looks the part. The focusing is quick and accurate. The photograps are sharp and with good colours. I have not noticed any real flare issues, the hood works very well being quite deep. All in all very pleased and supplements my other lenses very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic lens, 30 Nov 2012
I bought this after reading several reviews. I am far from disappointed.
The lens is quiet and the photos are beautifully clear with good colour balance.
It's a long time since I've had a lens of this quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 70-300 lens available below 350, 8 Jan 2012
D. GILLETT "Dave G" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Over the years I've tried countless long range zoom lenses, be they 55-200 or 70-300, and from different manufacturer's, having used the supposed best under the 200 mark I opted to buy one of these usd lenses, which only came in Sony, Nikon & Canon mount, like many I wasn't happy that the Sony version didn't have VC and that it was still the same price as the other 2 fitments, in a nut shell we have SSS so don't need it, yes in lens camera anti-shake is a tad batter but anti-shake is anti-shake ;-), as for the cost, I'd rather pay the same as NikCan owners if it meant having the lens anyway, Tamron didn't have to produce a Sony mount version ;-).

Right, believe the hype, this lens is easily the best 70-300 lens you'll buy below 350, put it alongside Sony's much dearer SSM version and the Sony's sweating rather a lot, it's sharp wide open, the colours, build quality, looks and feel are a cut above, it looks great when mounted on an A77, it does look a little silly on an A55 though (big lens - tiny camera), it's fast & quiet looking on with no difficulty.

Downers; that huge hood is enormous and either has to be mounted or removed in order to use the lens.

If you're on a budget and want the best zoom lens you can get, this lens is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic alternative to 700 Sony's 70-300 SSM G lens, 9 Feb 2013
luke997 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is great lens, fantastic alternative to 700 Sony's 70-300 SSM G lens.

1) Build quality:
Build quality is excellent, feels really solid and the zoom has spot on stiffness.
Focus ring is a bit on the loose side but I use AF mostly so not an issue at all.

On a side note, with extended zoom and hood on lens look real business :-)

2) Operation:
AF is very fast and rarely gets confused, due to being quiet it is perfectly suitable for shooting videos.
That + nice zoom feel makes it real joy to use when you need that range of zoom.
Provided lens hood is fairly long and blocks light very well.

3) Image quality:
Using lens on the APS-C I get the best, sharpest part of the glass so can't complain.
Detail is very sharp wide open up to the 200mm, but stopping to F8 makes it even better.
200-300mm I would recommend stopping it down to F8 every time for the best results.

Colour and bokeh is very nice.
CA and distortion is not too much and if desired can be easily corrected in Lightroom.

4) Conclusion:
Unless you have money to burn, I would recommend this lens over the Sony's 70-300mm SSM G which costs more than twice than the Tamron.

It is practically the same glass, so I would say 95% IQ of the Sony for 40% of the price is a great trade off (if any really as only pixel peepers will notice difference.