5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Headphone, A Classic with a Modern Sound
Published 21 months ago by xcesAudio

3.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones and sound but poor lifetime on the plastics
These are great headphones. To say what they sound like is subjective but overall they are rich and balanced if part of a decent chain such as FLAC/CD > Xonar/SB Zx > AD1100 . They are great for general use, watching films or listening to music and you do really get a great sound for the price, but there is a catch.

The plastic is structurally weak and this is...
Published 11 months ago by ezhno

3.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones and sound but poor lifetime on the plastics, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Denon AHD1100 Over-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)

The plastic is structurally weak and this is why they keep dropping in price. The silver, rectangle plastic between the headbar and the pivot will start to fracture with time, you will see them as you pull the headphones open to put them on, hairline cracks appear from the inside edge and will will spread outwards around the side of the rectangle and then across the outside flat surface eventually snapping. I saw mine in time and used a glue gun to reinforce the thin sides of the silver rectangle. When i ordered mine i thought the issue was a something you either got or didn't get. Once i experienced the issue i realised it is just down to weak plastic that is not fit for purpose.

That is the problem with these headphones that is referenced may times in reviews. It will most likely happen to you at some point since it is the act of pulling the headphones open to put them on that does it. The sound is great and if you are prepared to fix or prevent the cracking then you will enjoy a great sound for a very reasonable price. I would guess most people don't notice the cracks and then only experience the snapping and assume they just broke.

The audio cable has proved to be quite sturdy. The connection between the extension and the main unit has has not degraded and the cable gets kicked around quite a bit.

So overall great sounding heaphones, well worth the money but the plastic won't survive more than a few months of constant use of being put on and taken off. This can be prevented by reinforcing the side of the silver plastic rectangle with a glue gun or similar.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound, great comfort, awful build quality., 27 Jan 2012
This review is from: Denon AHD1100 Over-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
The sound of this set is fantastic, easy to drive from an iPod touch and sound best in my opinion with the EQ set to Flat or off, as the sound of these seem to change a little TOO much with the built in EQ settings,
causing the sound to feel too exaggerated and false.

Bass is powerful and fast, can be a little overpowering with certain types of music though, but overall very well balanced.

These really shine though when watching movies, the extended range ensures there's no distortion and effects, dialogue, and soundtrack all stand out equally.
The included 9ft extension cable, giving you a total of 12ft when in use, makes it ideal for late night viewing or gaming.

These are also VERY comfortable. The pads are very deep giving a good distance between your ear and the speaker in the ear cups, so you don't feel too restricted.
The fake leather pads can make you get a little sweaty under them though. My ears pretty much fit snugly within the cups, and I don't have the smallest of ears,
so unless you're unfortunately endowed in the ear department these should fit nicely onto your head and ears.

The downside though, is that the silver plastic arms that hold the cups on AREN'T solid. They're actually hollow and open on the side towards your head,
and after just over a month of use out and about every other day or so, there are already a number of hairline cracks developing on the top edge.
I haven't dropped these and they've been in the pouch when not in use, so I can only suggest that the cracks have come just from the flexing of the unit when they're in use.

I'm not sure about Amazon's returns policy, they might not offer returns for something that may be deemed as cosmetic or accidental damage.

So be wary, and to be honest after this experience with the quality of them I regret this purchase, despite the amazing sound quality.
Cracks developing in the arms through careful day to day use in a product costing near £100 is unacceptable,
I'm sure that given enough time the arms may crack completely and have the ear cup fall off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Headphone, A Classic with a Modern Sound, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Denon AHD1100 Over-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I have owned my D1100 headphones for over a year, and I have been very pleased with it. The sound quality of these are simply extraordinary. The highs are crisp and clear, the mids are rich and non-recessed and the bass are punchy, deep and powerful, but never overpowering. The sub-bass of these is simply gorgeous. There are not many headphones that can create this kind of sub bass quality, so kick drums will have such a big depth to it, explosions and sub hits in films/games soundtrack will sound huge and deep. Before getting the D1100, I liked the Audio Technica M50, Beyerdynamic DT770 and Denon D2000 very much. The D1100 now being the cheapest of the all three, really present to be the best value of the bunch.

The soundstage of these D1100 is very big, creating a great sense of space. Instrument separation is very impressive, so the textures and layers in the music can be easily heard. Acoustic instruments sound realistic on these, vocals sound rich and warm and electronic instrument sounds, well, electrifying. The sound quality is on par if not better than the M50 and DT770, and I would say that the much more expensive brother Denon D2000 is only marginly better, especially in the sub-bass and soundstage area. These will work well for every genre, and when a track needs lots of bass, the D1100's tremendous bass response will impress everyone.

These are very classic looking headphones, with the ear cups mades from a metal finish. They have a similar style to the Bose AE2 lines, but trust me, these sound miles better, in every aspect. The isolation is very good, from outside noise, while maintaining leakage to minimum. The earpads are soft and comfortable on the ears. The headphones fits the heads securely, creating a moderate level of pressure for good isolation and secure fit, while not creating sense of unease.

Within the box, you will find a nice leather like pouch for carrying, also a very useful, long extension cable, that can be used for watching movie or playing games at a distance. A 1/4 inch adapter is also included.

The build quality of is MUCH BETTER than what some of the other reviewers suggests. Although the headband is made out of plastic, rather than the aluminum finish suggests, it's still strongly built. After a year of heavy use, portable use, travel, studio use with many drops and hits, these Denon 1100 have held very well. Their construction is sturdy and well built. If you don't abuse it, they will last many many years.

Overall, these are some of my favourite headphones, and for the price they are absolutely stunning. They match up to £100+ headphones, and their portability classic look and lightweight making these a great headphone on the road. I have approached many fashion focus Beats Studio owners with these D1100, and every single time they have regretted with their Beats purchase, and mind blown about how much better sounding the Denons are - for 3rd the price!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, terrible build, 26 April 2014
N Boulton "SGS2 4 Life" (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Denon AHD1100 Over-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
These headphones provide brilliant sound, they come with a carry bag, extension cable and quarter inch adapter which are all great features, however, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired, the 4 plastic arms where the headband connects to the cups have all cracked and subsequently broken rendering the product completely unusable, which is a shame when you consider how good they sound. It seems daft that they have made the area that takes some of the most stress and strain out of plastic that is hollow and obviously not strong enough.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thought they were great, but then the cracks appeared., 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: Denon AHD1100 Over-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I loved these headphones, then the arms started to crack. The cracking occurred on both sides of both cups, and finally snapped off today. Fortunately this all happened in the period I get to return them easily. Do not buy is the only advice I can give.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fragile headphone, 20 Jan 2012
This review is from: Denon AHD1100 Over-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
Don't get me wrong. This is very good headphone sound and comfort wise.
I would recommend you if only this didn't break within a month of purchase.

Basically the silver plastic parts near the ear pad is extreme fragile.
It cracked despite carefully use and never get dropped. I am not big-head either.

I hope they can improve the material and building quality.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sound Quality Good BUT VERY FLIMSY BUILD QUALITY!!, 10 Feb 2012
Keri Hunt "kerih" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Denon AHD1100 Over-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
Bought these on the sound quality alone when trying them in a store. Found them on Amazon for a very good (so I thought) price.

However I feel Denon should recall this product as the quality of the materials supporting the two ear pads is vey cheap plastic that is sprayed to look metalic.
I only had them for a few weeks and one of the arms on the ear pad completely snapped off when I was putting them on!.

I am 54 years old and treat my computer and audio equipment with great respect. For the price I paid I and amazed at how Denon can justify such poor build quality and cheap materials.

Buy at your peril!

Full marks to Amazon customer service.

Sent them an e-mail explaining my problem and within a couple of hours they responded and have sent me a replacement.

From the reviews there are obviously many who have not had a problem.
Still wary of the build quality and have inspected the replacement around the ear piece arm.
If i notice any hairline cracks I will be getting a refund next time.

Such a shame as they sound great and a very comfortable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy these headphones, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Denon AHD1100 Over-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
I repeat do not buy these headphones as they will break. I listened to these in a shop first, before buying them from Amazon. They really are a good sounding pair of headphones and I thought I had made a good choice. As I knew what I was buying I did not bother reading the reviews, bad mistake! I am careful with these headphones and I always put them in the bag after use. I did not notice the cracking, until after the arm had snapped. It is then that you see what poor quality these are. Cheap materials and cheap labour have gone into the making of these headphones. To me Denon always stood for a quality product, not anymore. I have another pair of headphones, which I bought of my local market for £5.00. The sound quality obviously is not as good, but they have had some rough treatment and are still working fine. If this is a known fault why are Denon still selling them?

5.0 out of 5 stars The best affordable headphones. Just get them., 17 July 2014
M. CORRIGAN (Perthshire, SCO, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Denon AHD1100 Over-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
Unbeatable value. Best headphones i've ever listened through. Super comfy as well. Get them!

I have listened through them 4+hours everyday out walking, I have on several occasions been caught out in the rain in them, and even the most torrential downpour doesn't seem to affect these. I had them for almost two years when someone stood on my rucksack in college. One of the earpieces became detatched. But they were still working fine so I just fixed them up with brown tape. It wasn't ideal but I got another few weeks out of them. Then got a free pair of phillips shibuya headphones which were ok but after 3 months one of the ears has gone, so here I am back to get another pair of these! :)

I have no idea why people are moaning about the build quality. I certainly didn't look after them and they were fine for 1 1/2 years until they got stood on! Then they were still kinda ok! I think all the 1 star reviewers have got duds. Just return them if case of untimely breakage. Or get the 2 year warranty (if it's still there when you're reading this).

1.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound quality but poor build quality, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Denon AHD1100 Over-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
While these are good as far as sound goes, they are let down by the poor build and shoddy materials. The ear pieces tend to make your ears a bit sweaty. I could just about put up with that, however the plastic frame has now snapped rendering them useless. I have had them 18 months and used them for a short time most nights. I was expecting better from Denon.

Denon AHD1100 Over-Ear Headphones - Black