5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 22 Sep 2010
M. K. Ohr "martinohr" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Expectation (Audio CD)
I saw the jolly Boys on 'Later' rushed to download this as soon as the programme finished.

If you're a fan of early ska then Mento will appeal to you too- more folky, instrumental and darker than Calypso. These covers really bring that out.

The headline track to get you started is probably Rehab, the arrangement really lets you hear not only the lyrics, the skill of the Jolly Boys and the brilliant vocals of Albert Minott -who most be close to 90 years old. If like me you're not familar with Mento music then the rhumba box -a tea chest with metal bars which are plucked to make a deep base sound- is a revelation.

The cover of the Blondie song 'Keep me hangning on the telephone' is my favourite track so far, but Blue Monday and I fought the Law are also superb.

Part of the joy of these types of cover albums- and something Great Expectations shares with Nouvelle Vague- is to be able to listen to great old songs again. But the greater joy is to be able to listen to syle of music which might otherwise be inaccesible or just unknown.

Fantastic album. The Jolly Boys are set to be everyone's new favourites in time for xmas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ha ha ha, brilliant!, 26 Jan 2011
This review is from: Great Expectation (Audio CD)
Bought this for my husband who is a big reggae fan. He loves it and thinks it is hilarious. I saw them on daybreak. It really cheers you up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Great Expectation (Audio CD)
what a joy to listen to. Shame its not a double album

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a joy to listen to worth the money, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Great Expectation (Audio CD)
Great sesson with great songs it is pure gold you will enjoy the version on this CD if you loved the orgional songs
Buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: Great Expectation (Audio CD)
Brilliant music CD, entertaining, enjoyable and fun. Saw the Jolly boys live some 30yrs ago an afternoon I will never forget. CD arrived promptly, thank you for the brilliant service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant live, 13 April 2012
S. Ivory "Jamaica girl" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Expectation (Audio CD)
Saw "The Jolly Boys' live at the MEN Arena as a support act for the wonderful Sade. They were and are amazing considering their ages. If you like any aspect of Mento, Ska or Reggae then buy this CD, you will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars great expectation ,the jolly boys, 9 Feb 2012
This review is from: Great Expectation (Audio CD)
This CD is one of my best fines of 2011, it has great covers of popular song from the 60s to 2010
I would say it a fantatic Sunday arvo listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars All favorite songs in a new coat!, 21 May 2011
This review is from: Great Expectation (Audio CD)
Ordered the cd after seeing the Jolly Boys with Jools Holland. The cd is fantastic and playing all the time at the bar!

4.0 out of 5 stars Expectations met!!, 27 April 2011
This review is from: Great Expectation (Audio CD)
The covers are great! Among them, the best are Rehab, Perfect Day, Ring of Fire and I Fought the Law. This cd is exactly what I hoped it would be. It's punchy, it's happy, it just makes you wanna dance throughout the summer!

5.0 out of 5 stars A comeback album with a big difference!, 26 Feb 2011
Mike Anderson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Expectation (Audio CD)
I've loved the Jolly Boys since the early 1990s, when I first heard their releases "Sunshine 'n' Water" and "Pop 'n' Mento". I have since managed to track down an older album as well, but I heard nothing new from them until this new album, "Great Expectation". I have a large collection of traditional mento, so nothing could have prepared me for the song selection on this disk.

My first thought was that it MUST be a big mistake, asking these fine old gentlemen to step so far outside their normal milieu and perform covers of modern pop songs; but all it took was a first listen to convince me that this is in fact a perfectly wonderful idea. The deep, dark voice of Albert Minott (gained from years as a professional fire-eater entertaining tourists) is absolutely appropriate for this material, and in fact injects new life into songs like "Passenger" and "Perfect Day". Moreoever, the banjo (found in many mento albums past and present) adds a punkish, earthy touch to the songs. I think hearing the Pogues has prepared me for the banjo's sound in a pop context. Whatever the case, this effort works very, very well as both a mento album AND a pop album.

I can only hope that the proceeds keep these wonderful veteran musicians in comfort for the rest of their days. I urge any fan of Jamaican music, as well as anyone looking for something really fresh, unique, and yet with truly deep roots to buy it.

Great Expectation