on 5 November 2010
I am like a Pavlov's dog where Jethro Tull are concerned and had to have this package when I saw it was out. The pop-up figures are worth the price of admission alone, having got rid of my vinyl copy when Cds took over and the package itself is well produced with Mr Anderson writing another intro to another re-issue. it consists of 2CDs and a DVD. the 1st CD is basically the remastered Stand Up from a few years back with some extra tracks from John Peel sessions (which must have been issued on other reissues already) plus a couple of very strange US radio plugs for the original album. How they got anybody to buy it is anybody's gues - they are wierd, but having heard the radio spots for Hot rats, they seem to be standard US adverts (V strange indeed).
The second CD consists of the live at Carnegie hall concert from just before the Benefit album came out, without intros etc, of which part was on Living in the past and the rest on various extra tracks. It is nice to hear it all together but as the DVD is mostly an audio repeat of this plus intro and a video interview, I would have thought the CD could have held the concert plis intros and the DVD could have had some of the period videos hanging around U-tube along with the interview.
That said I'm glad I bought it and am looking forward to a Collector's Benefit (my favourite album by Tull). I just hope it won't be as long a time before it arrives.
on 26 October 2010
This is a nicely packaged 2cd/1dvd set from Jethro Tull.What strikes you straight away is the 'pop up' of the band as you open it up.A great touch.
Cd 1 contains the original album with bonus tracks including tracks from John Peels radio show Top Gear.John Peel was not even at these sessions as he had stated he did not like the songs on stand up!

Cd 2 contains the Live At Carnegie Hall concert from 1970

The dvd contains Live At Carnegie Hall concert from 1970 is audio only but in DTS and Dolby Digital 24bit surround sound.There is a visual interview with Ian Anderson lasting 45mins.

All in all a very nice package of a great Tull album.
99 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2010
This is a very nice package.

As it isn't mentioned anywhere else, the Carnegie Hall concert is the one that appeared as disc 2 of the 25th Anniversary box set but remastered and with a 20 minute Dhama For One added.

The DVD is the full 98 minute concert + a 45 minute video interview with IA.
on 12 February 2012
A thoroughly enjoyable and well-presented 2cd and 1dvd package. The first cd contains the 'Stand Up' album, together with a bunch of bonus tracks which include the John Peel sessions for the 'Top Gear' radio show. But, for me, the biggest bonus of all is that the version of '17' included as track 14, is the original full-length recording just as it appeared on the B-side of 'Sweet Dream' all those years ago and not the savagely cut travesty that was previously all that was available on cd.

The second disc features the concert 'Live At Carnegie Hall' and would make an album in its own right. I know various parts of this crop up on other releases, but it's good to have so much of this excellent recording conveniently available on one disc. Recording techniques may have changed over the years but the sound quality offered here easily equals and sometimes trumps that on some more recent 'live' recordings.

If the package just consisted of these two cd's, I would still consider my money well spent. But in addition, the dvd is included, offering an improved audio version of the concert and a 45 minute interview with Ian Anderson.

Altogether this is an excellent release.
on 12 March 2011
Personally I still like to have something tangible to look at when I'm listening to new music (even if like this it's not so new !!). The packaging is excellent (love the little pop-up of the band as per original vinyl release) and I already knew what I was getting was musically great. The sound is of good quality when you consider how long ago it was recorded but this album was to me more about feel than production, with a good rock/blues/folk feel and really accessible songs (not like later concept albums)

Later on Ian Anderson took the band on various adventures into different musical styles (all good in their own way......well nearly all.....when he used drum machines he lost my interest !) and the production really did take off then (or did it take over ?).

Anyway, to any real fan of Jethro Tull you should get this (as probably the third or fourth variant in your collection, like me) for the CD cover & sleeve notes, plus a good number of extra tracks which are all pretty good. When I saw that a DVD of their concert in Carnegie hall was also included I got momentarily very excited, then I read 'audio only' (and they meant it !). After the initial disappointment I did listen to it and enjoy that too.

To anyone who doesn't know the band well, but likes that late 60's early 70's rock genre, at least take a chance and buy a cheaper version of the album....it's really worth a listen.
on 9 October 2011
A brilliant album from start to finish, no dips or tracks to skip, every cut is stand alone great but combined they make for a stunning whole. Innovative and vibrant this was the first 'prog' album I purchased and it sounds as great and as exciting as it did way back in 1969. This is a fabulous anniversary edition and I'm sure Tull aficionados will be delighted with all the add on bonus tracks and extras but for me the original album needs no embellishments whatsoever. Those ten mighty tracks are all you need, they remain a 'perfect moment' in the history of this band.
on 7 December 2010
To me "Stand Up" is Jethro Tull's best album: fantastic songs, great playing (especially by bass player Glenn Cornick) and a wonderfull atmosphere.
This release, with all the extras, giving its modest price, is almost too good to be true.
What a great package!!!
on 9 December 2013
Still got my original vinyl copy. It is interesting playing them back to back, the digital download has so much 'sound' missing. No, not scratches, clicks, hiss etc but the subtle nuances of a carefully recorded and mixed album. Still sounds bloody good mind!
on 12 June 2014
Much as I loved their first album, hearing the Collectors Edition was like listening to it for the very first time. The songs from Stand Up have remained firmly in my memory and have haunted me through the decades, snatches sneaking into my brain when least expected, that's how memorable the compositions were. The album was on repeat play, like a big, 12" single, pink label whirling, for months on end. I was expecting that hindsight and the situations that I associated with the sound of the record; youth, black hair, trim figure, fit, carefree and single, might have inflated my sense of its greatness to an unreasonable degree. I shouldn't have worried. This is every bit as good as I remember, now with bonus tracks and a massively improved sound. This comes from that period where the sixties morphed into the seventies, before taste and virtuosity came to be frowned upon and Island was releasing a constant stream of excellent long-players with nary a dud amongst the lot. That's how I remember it, anyways, kids!! Love and Peace!
on 21 August 2015
A must for Tull fans, probably their greatest album. And yes i place it above Aqualung!