4.0 out of 5 stars Practical Religion, 15 Mar 2008
This review is from: Practical Religion (Paperback)
This is a re-print of a classic collection of writings by J.C. Ryle. It was first published in 1878, but the pithy, challenging and practical style make it just as relevant for Christians today. The language is perhaps a little antiquated for modern readers, but if you can get past that, the messages are clear and down-to-earth. This anthology of essays and sermons is a one of a trilogy which are also available from Banner of Truth. The other 2 are "Knots Untied" and "Old Paths". I have found JC Ryle's daily readings from the gospels very helpful in the past, and he has a strong reputation among reformed evangelicals as a sound and godly man.
I think the folowing extract from the preface will give you a feeling for his stance and his style during his time as Anglican Archbishop of Liverpool:

"I am fully aware that evangelical churchmanship is not popular and acceptable in this day. It is despised by many, and has no form or comeliness in their eyes. To avow attachment to evangelical views, in some quarters, is to provoke a sneer and to bring on yourself the reproach of being an unlearned and ignorant man. But none of these things move me. I am not ashamed of my opinions. After 40 years of bible reading and praying, meditation and theological study, I find myself clinging more tightly than ever to evangelical religion, and more than ever satisfied with it. It wears well, it stands the fire. I know no system of religion which is better. In the faith of it I have lived for the third of a century, and in the faith of it I hope to die. The plain truth is that I see no other ground to occupy, and find no other rest for the sole of my foot. I lay no claim to infallibility, and desire to be no man's judge. But the longer I live and read, the more I am convinced that evangelical principles are the principles of the Bible."

As I read recently from one posting on a US Christian web site "J.C. Ryle rocks!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned maybe but hard to beat, 23 April 2012
DEG (Cheshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Practical Religion (Kindle Edition)
Challenges the superficial nature of our modern, all too busy way of living.
A humbling book to read, because it shines it's light into your life.
But... Having made you look inward, it makes you look outward too others too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practicle religion, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Practical Religion (Kindle Edition)
An excellent book, Ryle's style is easy read and straight to the point. This book is a must read for modern Christians, its a weapon to fight against the enemy that is formalism!! Dealing with self examination Ryle sets out the true faith. True faith is heart faith, anything else is mere hypocrisy.

Practical Religion