I picked up this book straight on the heels of the first book in the series - and I'm glad to say that I was not disappointed. The book kept up the pace, and more, of the first book bringing out more of the main character, Jen, and what's important to her.
For me, there are two outstanding points:
1) As mentioned above, the author concentrates on the detail of...
Published on 23 Dec 2010 by M. Thompson

1.0 out of 5 stars There's a story in there..... somewhere
I read the first book which didn't set the world on fire, but was enough to make me buy this, the second book in the series.

I really can't say I liked it. She story was okay, but the characters just trundled along. When the action took place it never seemed like the main character ever found difficulty in success, and everyone seemed very two dimensional...
Published on 29 Mar 2011 by C. Parr

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars There's a story in there..... somewhere, 29 Mar 2011
C. Parr "chris_parr" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Valor At Vauzlee (A Galaxy Unknown Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

What I really hated was the tiny detail the author went into on insignificant things, leaving more important detail out, as well as a plot thread that served no purpose at all to the story. What I hated the most though, and I mean it really annoyed me was how the author thought it necessary to have even the most insignificant characters wax lyrical about the amazing actions of the main character from the first book for page after page, time, and time, and time, and time, and time again. I found myself skipping page after page of this book and I didn't miss any of the story.

In conclusion not a very gripping way to tell an average story, and I'd say 40% of the book was just random padding to make the word count bigger. I would go as far as to say it was painful to read.

I won't be buying the third book.

Harsh? Yes. Fair? Absolutely!

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, 6 May 2011
If you liked the first one in the series, you can pretty much expect to like this. If you didn't, you won't.

All the same bonuses and flaws are here. First let's be positive - the author has some decent ideas, the plot moves along smoothly and gives us a story that, whilst it doesn't exactly twist and turn, is at least serviceable. The pace is brisk, there's quite a bit of action and it's handled engagingly enough. I said in my review of the first book that it was for "teenagers or undemanding readers", which may sound like a criticism, but really isn't. Take the Honor Harrington series that this series pretty obviously has as an inspiration; Weber's work is great, no doubt about it, his characters are deep, his universe intricate and compelling. And yet... there are times when I have to put his books down because I just can't face ANOTHER thirty page discussion of the exact motivations somebody has for doing what they do and what the public on their planet makes of it, and then another thirty pages of why her opponent does what he does in response and what the public on their planet thinks of that. Intricate detail is great, but seriously there's a limit.

Here, by contrast, we get very little of that. Yes it makes these books rather thinner, rather more simplistic. But by the same token they're easy, straightforward, fast moving tales to read. It's like reading junk food, and who doesn't like junk food sometimes?

On the downside... well again, Carver remains the perfect person. Ever more gorgeous thanks to her altered DNA, she once again skips through the plot never making a single mistake, never having a second thought or doubt, never being just plain wrong. She wins every battle, which is fair enough in and of itself, but she also wins them with total ease. And again, it's not done by really making her a supremely intelligent or even supremely competent individual - rather, everybody else is an idiot so she can shine in comparison. Her enemies back themselves into corners, choose battles they can't win, make foolish tactical mistakes, or whatever else the plot needs in order to lose. The other characters are pretty much ciphers who are there to admire and praise Carver if they're good guys or hate her if they aren't.

Amusingly, there's an Admiral back in the home command who apparently hates Carver with such a passion that it comes across as farcical as she keeps winning over and over. It's as if somebody back in England heard about Nelson's great victory at Trafalgar and instantly castigated him for the cost of the ammunition he wasted sinking the enemy ships. Actually, given the simplistic view the book takes on characters, I keep expecting him to turn out to be a traitor who is selling out to the bad guys. Time will tell.

2.0 out of 5 stars A good yarn, poorly written., 25 Mar 2011
Purchased on the back of the first book, the story being compelling enough to catch my imagination. But, oh dear, the syle of writing is enough to make anyone with a basic grasp of the English language cringe. And why on earth do we need to know each and every character's height to the exact inch? Why not some other descriptive characterisation? And yet the length of the various battleships are always metric. Some sentence construction is so poor you have to wonder if the author can actually speak the language. It all gives the impression that there is no real attention to detail and takes the edge off an otherwise quite good yarn. As much as I might be intrigued to find out what happens in Book 3, I don't think I can deal with reading another poor text. For me, a well written book is part of the joy of reading and this author still needs to polish his craft - big time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even more of the Real Deal SF Adventure - and with the detail!, 23 Dec 2010
M. Thompson "Mike Thompson" (London) - See all my reviews
For me, there are two outstanding points:
1) As mentioned above, the author concentrates on the detail of the characters - what's important to them, how they feel they are perceived by others, their insecurities and their dreams
2) The level of world/engineering detail is awesome. From the acknowledgements, it is clear that this is an area that the author felt strong enough to use an 'advisor' to help - and it shows.
The combination of these two items reminds me somewhat of the Hogwarts books (sorry - Harry Potter) where life and feelings were described in detail to give a solid feel to the world around the characters. I feel that the author has easily achieved this in his fiction.
A great fun read that kept me up late (again after the first book). Just bought the third book so I expect to be up late again tonight.

5.0 out of 5 stars More of the Galaxy Revealed, 27 Nov 2010
Amazon Customer (windsor, berkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
downloaded this as soon as i finished the first book in the series.
as i lost the morning to the first, i lost most the afternoon to this.
once started i had to finish it.

read it, enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great read, 17 Mar 2014
A fast paced easy read with a great central character. If you like more accessible sci fi this is a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure escapist fantasy!, 8 Oct 2013
A alwis "Al" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
An addictive series! Just plain old fun reading, swashbuckling adventure with a happy endings. Happily working my way through the whole series.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 23 Aug 2013
I love this whole series, each book is a great addition to the central adventure, I hope author keeps adding to this space adventure

4.0 out of 5 stars Valor at Vauzlee, 18 Jan 2013
After enjoying the 1st of the novels in this series, (A Galaxy Unknown), I have now purchased the others that were available.
I find them to be an enjoyable read, entertaining and easy going. There is no pretence here to offer them as serious Literature, the ideas are not thought provoking, and the characterisation not strong. Without wishing to upset the Author, I would say these are more in the style of The Hunger Games, which are of course, in the Young Adult Category.
Don't let this put you off, though, a good read generally, and a lot better than some of the cheaper end of the market that I have tried to read. Mr DePrima knows his strengths and sticks to them, the heroine is great, but rides her luck, and sails through adversity at every turn. There seems no limit to where this character could go in this great Universe of ours.
Onwards and outwards Mr De Prima.

3.0 out of 5 stars too predictable, 6 Jan 2013
I guess it is written in "Hornblower" but it became so predictable and all depht dissappeared from this young woman. Lots of honour and yes sir but no sex life or personal desires. First book was an adventure and second one was a copy of that first adventure. There was no way how she could loose and plot seemed more like teenagers daydream of glory than a story.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›