4.0 out of 5 stars A riotous page-turner
Unlike the previous commenter, I've actually a) got hold of a copy of the book and b) read it before typing my review.

I'll admit I'm not a particular fan of GNR, but I am a big fan of rock biogs and I loved the Motley Crue book 'The Dirt' without liking them, so I had big hopes for Adler. And I wasn't disappointed.

Unsurprisingly, he has a bit of...
Published on 6 Aug 2010 by MadamJMo

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting for a GNR fan, but the style is annoying.
There's some interesting stuff in this book, but it is written in small sections, each with a little heading. This makes it disjointed and interrupts the flow when reading.

Also there are quite a few gaps in events - possibly understandably.

Duff's and Slash's books are a better read.
Published 14 months ago by Jules

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A riotous page-turner, 6 Aug 2010

Unsurprisingly, he has a bit of help stringing sentences together from journalist Lawrence Spagnola - from the early chapters, you get the feeling Adler didn't spend too much time at school, learning the basics of sentence construction or grammatical inflections. But none of that matters - it's a page-turning, toe-clenching, stomach-churningly good yawn.

There's probably a fair bit of this book that should be taken with a pinch of salt. I mean, considering how long ago it all was, and how much drugs this guy took, it's unlikely he can actually remember half of this stuff, never mind with the amount of detail... so I suspect his co-writer did a lot of digging around through cuttings and interviews, and some of it was guess work. Still, that doesn't detract from the fun.

It's not as good as "The Dirt", but it's still a darn fun rock'n'roll tale.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Appetite for Destruction: Sex, and Drugs, and Guns N' Roses - Steven Adler, 3 Sep 2010
After reading Slash's autobiography, i thought it would be interestng to see things from another band members perspective.

Steve Adler has had a tumultuous time, with the usual rock and roll excesses - more drugs than should be mortally possible to take, and at times rather graphic tales of dalliances with groupies.

The book left me wondering about Steven Adler, because although he does admit throughout the book that he has behaved stupidly throughout his career/life, there always seems to be an undercurrent of pointing the finger elsewhere for his troubles!
The thing that does amuse though is how messed up would you have to be to be kicked out of GnR for doing drugs??!

A good read, detailing his life before, during and after Guns n Roses.

If you like rock autobiographies it may well be for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but genuine, 19 Aug 2012
OK, what you already read about this book is true. It is not a good example of the proper use of the English language (probably like this review :-)). Especially in the second part (after Steven is kicked from GNR), you completely lose track of what is happening and when did it happen (as I guess Steven himself did...). The chapter about his stroke is a prime example of this...

But on the other hand, all this makes the book much more genuine. You know that this is Steven Adler speaking, you have a clear idea about the man's character and motives, he is not hiding behind a masterful "ghost writer", that's really him.

In the first part we have the GNR story. I don't know if his account of events is "truer" than Slash's for example, but one thing is clear: Steven Adler was a big fan of rock'n'roll music and an even bigger fan of the rock'n'roll lifestyle who actually BECAME everything he hoped for. It's like one day I am sitting in my room looking at posters and the next I am IN the same posters. And he couldn't handle it...
In the second part we have the aftermath of his exit from the band. This part is in fact more interesting than the first. It is obvious that Steven Adler wasn't ready for what happened. It gradually becomes clear that his life STOPPED that fateful day in June 1990 when he was kicked out of GNR. Since then, he has passed most of the time (something like 20 years) doing ABSOLUTELY nothing (except of course getting stoned on crack and heroin).

Still, in the and Steven Adler comes out of this book as somewhat of a sympathetic figure. I mean in the end you feel sorry for the guy...
And (although he doesn't seem to believe in himself so much) he WAS the best drummer GNR ever had. I sincerely hope that he finally lets go of the past...

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting if somewhat unbelivable, 25 Jan 2011
This is a great read but i still find it a little hard to beleive that someone who has spent more then 20 years strung out or off his head can remember so much and so many details. But it does give another side to the whole G'N'R's story.

4.0 out of 5 stars How sad., 29 Dec 2010
K. Webb (Maidstone, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Every time I got to the end of a page of this book I thought, "surely this can't get any worse for this guy?!" And then I turned the page. Throughout his story I got the feeling he was saying to me & all the other readers, "I just cannot learn". Overdose after overdose after overdose. He's been clean since he made friends with Slash & got his, his friends, his new band & his wife's help now but after reading this book you can't help but think he'd go back to drugs the minute one of those leaves his life. He mentions that he hides his troubles behind a smile when with other people, & that's positively chilling. How he can still smile after all he's been through is beyond me!

If you like GNR for more than the music; i.e. the charisma & danger that followed them, then this is an essential read to get more of a feel of the life they lived. With Duff's supposedly coming out next year, it's just Izzy & Axl to go, & I think everyone would be interested in getting ahold of the latter, even if you're not a fan!

4.0 out of 5 stars My Appetite for Destruction, 16 Sep 2010
Although not as good as Slash's autobiograpy this still makes for a good entertaining read. You can't help feeling Steven Adler's slightly deluded throughout the whole thing and doesn't seem to realise quite how badly addicted he must be and the whole episode of being kicked out of Guns n Roses seems kind of glossed over and not very detailed but then thats probably the drugs! His version of being kicked out is both sad but also very much his version.
A nice addition to the Guns n Roses literature which seems to be coming out a bit more regularly now.....
Will the ever reunite...not if Axl has anything to do with it but it doesn't seem to stop anyone wishing and wondering....

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to hear Adler''s side of the story, 27 Dec 2010
I was expecting a pretty messy account given the media portrayal I'd been led to believe of Steven, but this is a very interesting read, indeed a must read for any G n'R fan. Great to hear Steven's side of his sacking from the band, which indeed did seem more than a little unfair (given how all the band bar Axl were alcohol or hard drug dependants). Some of the high's of rock and roll antics are described in much fuller honest detail than in Slash's book, the groupie antics with Nikki Sixx and Steven Tyler being a case in point. However it's pretty sad to hear the pit of drug abuse he couldn't seem to shake until very recently.

I personally think Adler's uncomplicated straight ahead almost punk style of drumming certainly is one of the major factors why AFD is a timeless classic (and the Illusions albums have aged pretty poorly). Thanks again for the timeless music Steven, I think you got out before the band started to suck anyhow.

Best wishes to his remained sobriety (and don't end up smoking the royalties you'll get from me buying your book!)

: )

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: My Appetite for Destruction: Sex & Drugs & Guns 'N' Roses (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic read loved steven adler before but now I just want to shake his hand and give him a hug

4.0 out of 5 stars appetite is not the word!, 4 Mar 2014
Very heartfelt and honest. I read slash's autobiography first and it was interesting to read two different versions of the same events. It's up to you to choose which you believe but a great read none the less

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting for a GNR fan, but the style is annoying., 20 Jun 2013

Also there are quite a few gaps in events - possibly understandably.

Duff's and Slash's books are a better read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›