4.0 out of 5 stars but no better, and that has put me off reading many
Most Star Trek books I have read have been merely okay, but no better, and that has put me off reading many. So I came to this series on novels with low expectations. But I had read some recommendations, and my curiosity had been piqued.
Published 3 months ago by billbadblack

3.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, but it isn't Star Trek
Published on 20 Oct 2003 by No_Poet

3.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, but it isn't Star Trek, 20 Oct 2003
Very good fun to read with some real laugh out loud moments, this is not the reserved, somewhat stiff and formal Starfleet we know today. Captain Calhoun of the Ambassador-class starship Excalibur (what a cool name!) rampages around the galaxy foiling terrorists in the most blatant and daring manner I've ever seen, then tries to restore the balance between brawling empires. The story introduces a large number of truly memorable characters, most of whom get their chance to shine. The banter between characters is very sharp - Captain Calhoun has most of Starfleet's top brass tearing their hair out.
Best bit: When Kebron and Si Cwan turn their prison into a Federation embassy, I was almost screaming with laughter. It really is that funny.
I don't think the Excalibur itself gets a lot to do; anyone interested in the technical side of Trek is going to be seriously disappointed, and the Vulcan characters are highly humanised. There's the usual pointless parade of established Original Series and Next Generation characters too.
Purists will hate themselves for liking this, but it's a hugely enjoyable way to pass an afternoon (this "compilation" is shorter than some junior school books and won't take long to get through!).

4.0 out of 5 stars but no better, and that has put me off reading many, 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: New Frontier (Star Trek: New Frontier) (Kindle Edition)
Other previous reviews have given a lot of detail on the 4 books in this volume, and, to be honest, that is why I bought this rather than the cheaper individual story.
I'm normally quite picky with novels, but this lot drew me in almost immediately, and I have been reading it in every bit of spare time I have. Highly readable, and fully engrossing, with plenty of action, and good characters (checkout Si Cwan, Kebron, Burgoyne 172 and Captain Calhoun)! Much better than the other ST books I have read.
I would recommend this book to any SF ot ST reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best star trek book i have ever read (apart from imzardi, 22 Sep 2003
By A Customer
the one word i would use to sum up these books is WOW! i originally brought them for my sister who was mad on star trek, i at the time thought it very boring to say the least but i decided to give one book a go- just to shut her up and ended up buying every other book in the seris. it is amazing the charactors can make you laugh out loud or bring tears to your eyes, i sometimes find myself yelling at the book saying "no no don't". the vulcans soleta and selar are not very vulcan but then the other characters more than make up for this robin being "desperatly outgoing" and shelby well you have to another thing i now love about peter davids work is the way he fits everything togeher its truly great. read the book to find out about her. but trust me read it it's good.

5.0 out of 5 stars First four New Frontier books in one, 6 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This omnibus edition contains the first four New Frontier books in one volume and is worth every penny. The New Frontier series resembles the original Star Trek adventures more than any off the other series which have emerged over the years and as such if you loved the original adventures of Kirk you're sure to love this.

4.0 out of 5 stars So good!, 11 Aug 2009
This omnibus consists of four ST:NF books: "House of Cards", "Into the Void", "The Two-Front War" and "End Game". ST:NF basically tells the stories of the USS Excalibur and its crew - and it's so good! The truth is that you need to read these four books together because they tell one story, they are not stand-alone.

I love the characters, they are real heroes in the old sense of the word. The female characters are strong without being bitchy or arrogant. And the plot, I really like it. It would have been great to see the special effects on screen. But the best part? The dialogs! The book is not dark and gloomy, it's fun and full of adventure and the banter - especially between Si Cwan and Kebron - is hilarious!

Conclusion? I will definitely keep buying books in this series, that's for sure!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, entertaining, but it's just not Star Trek..., 24 May 2002
By A Customer
This book immediately hits you with its witty, off-the-bat sense of humour. It also contains scenes of violence that are, for Trek, quite shocking. All I can say about this is GREAT STUFF! No more perfect people, no masses of technobabble; a new starship, a new crew, new aliens reaces, gives the fans what they really want to see.
However, there's the usual overload of established characters - I was half expecting to see Captain Kirk wrestling with Gul Dukat for example, and Picard's involvement was completely unnecessary. And the utter lack of technobabble makes it seem as if David hasn't been doing his research.
The new cast members are quirky, interesting and sometimes very funny. They're real, living, breathing people (although most of them get annoying very quickly, particularly the he/she thing) even if David can't get it right with the Vulcans to save his life! Captain Calhoun more than makes up for this though; he immediately establishes himself as the most exciting of all the Trek Captains and the stuff he says will have you laughing out loud! The Si Cwan character is just pointless and irritating.
I think the Ambassador-class Excalibur was underused - not space battles or anything.
Unfortunately the Excalibur 'books' are more like drawn-out short stories, each made up of around 100 or so pages of people mostly standing around complaining. There's almost no action at all, or at least it seemed that way to me. The very short length of the books makes it seem like they are written for children.
So although it's fun while it lasts I don't think I'll be reading it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read the book and see how rubbish this is., 20 Dec 2000
The book is one of the best Peter David's I've read; it got me hocked on Star Trek. But these cassettes are rubbish. There is no flow to the cassettes that were in the books; there is none of the Peter David flare or wittiness of the characters, which you find in all of his books. The story has been stripped of everything be the bare facts of the events, totally ruining a suburb serice of the best books on the market. They also did terrible job with the preposition of names and places, (not to mention accents). Don't get this, the book is a lot better.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Frontier, 5 Sep 2003
The main story around the series is the collapse of the Thollian Empire, a tyrannical regime that has ruled over a sector of space for well over 200 years. The captain is M'k'n'y of a backwater planet that is fighting for it's independence. The first officer is Shelby who stared in The Next Generartion. The security officer can only be described as a 'walking-land mass' and when he moves the bulkheads sudder.
Within all this there is a constant battle between M'k'n'y and starfleet regulations. Starfleet says that he should not interfere with a planet who has obducted one of his crew members, M'k'n'y sends 4 photon torpedoes heading towards the planet. Just when you think M'k'n'y is down and out he says a whitty comment that will have you laughing out loud.
All i can say is a very good series!!!! I read 3 books in 1 day, that's how good it was. Buy all the books together, or you will regret having to wait for the next one to turn up on your doorstep.