Format: DVD|Change

on 28 March 2011
I saw the whole series in the States and was hooked from the first pilot episode. The series tells the story of a woman fighting to come to terms with grade four cancer by intially keeping it to her self and tries to live out her dreams and aspirations before she dies. Laura Linney plays this role superbly with emotion and comedy and with Liam Neeson making a guest appearance in episode twelve it is well worth watching. I for one will buy the video when released
on 21 April 2011
I've been watching The Big C since the pilot episode a few months ago and i've been hooked ever since. Laura Linney plays a fantastic part as Cathy and is equally matched with such a brilliant cast. I can't remember the last time i was so engrossed in a comedy series as i am with this one, it has made me both laugh and cry many times. I'm so glad we were able to get it over here in the UK, roll on series 2 i say, absolutely brilliant!
on 21 March 2011
I love this series which has been showing on More 4. Laura Linney is great as the mum/wife who's been put uptight and put upon all her life and wants to have one last chance at Life. If you're looking for something fresh and different this series is it. Watch out for the gorgeous Idris Elba and a great theme song (Game called life by Leftover Cuties).
on 26 March 2012
If I could work out why it is that some tv series grip you instantly, I'd be very rich. The Big C has just one 'name' (the superb Laura Linney) but the rest of the cast instantly fitted their roles, and we were engrossed.

It is SO good we had to ration ourselves to one episode a day, but the DVD is also full of interviews/ extras so that helped! (In contrast Season 3 of 'Nurse Jackie' has NO extras on the DVD...)

The totally unpredictable plot turns, shock and laughter, even tears is not something that be easily achieved by a 30 min episode, but THIS show does just that.

I cannot recommend it highly enough; it is 'up there' as regards quality/durabilty, with '6 Feet Under', and 'Sopranos', but achieves it more easily than they did.

The writer, and Laura Linney, REALLY know their stuff. I think we will probably watch all series 1 again SOON as we wait for series 2.

THANK YOU!
on 5 May 2011
I've just watched the last of these through a flood of tears. I lost my wife to cancer fairly recently and this has obvious connections. Not the depressing ones, more the black humour that develops during the course of the illness. I recommended it to a friend whose wife had also recently died and we both thought it is an amazing series. I loved it and can totally recommend it to anyone who has the misfortune to be touched by this dreadful disease. It's not for the faint-hearted though. There is a lot of the F word and (ironically!) the C word. But the outstanding aspect of the whole show is the way it swings from humour to pathos and back again.

Incidentally, I read that Laura Linney lost her Father to cancer a mere 6 months before filming this series. So, she definitely got the t-shirt!

There is no doubt - buy it!
on 4 June 2014
I have only watched first episode so far. , but could feel real empathy on problems of telling family of her condition . As indicated by the title , there is no good or easy way of passing the dreaded news on to others .I speak from personal experience , thankfully now my own condition is in remission , but in my own case I even felt guilty that I had let my family down by burdening them with this most unwelcome news .Also , one finds out the hard way , there really is no way when once diagnosed with cancer , that one can feel really cured of the dread illness .
on 26 February 2011
this is a charming little series, funny, sad and fresh, highly recommend it and at 27mins an episode, it wont kill you to check it out! series 2 starts in the uk on more 4, jan 19th 2012!
on 6 May 2011
I also have been watching this on More 4 and was absolutely hooked, holds resonance for me too as i have just been diagnosed with stage 4 myself in the much the same position as her character.....well the! same. However it isn't obviously so simple to follow her path but the emotions and the reactions to the illness i could relate to......if you haven't seen it do.
on 8 May 2016
I didn't really like the characters. Her attitude towards her husband didn't seem believable, and hence I didn't care about her cancer dilemma. If she was a nice person, I would've cared. Her brother is a good character though.
Try it yourself, and see what you think. She just seemed selfish to me.
on 21 February 2015
Having cancer myself I was unsure whether this was for me but after the first 20 minutes I was in fits of laughter, the decision of do I tell my family or not is a question most cancer patients have to make as 'how do I tell them without them hurting' the sarcasm ,the teenage son which I can also relate too,Marlene and her bassett hound and her living of the land brother is all together brilliant !!!!! The whole story from beginning of her journey to the saddest heart breaking end which a sat in floods of tears thinking of her son,it's the best programme made just a brilliant story line I watched the first series in a day you'll laugh out loud and also see the real side of the big c .