5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful piece of film making
Published on 17 Feb 2011 by Jack Renouf

3.0 out of 5 stars The Concert
I thought the movie's story-line was only so-so, and not as touching as the other reviews portray it to be. I think it was also the strong stereo-type portrayal of characters that made me reconsider the quality of the film. However, on the whole it was still a good distraction.
Published on 29 July 2011 by Joyce Poan

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful piece of film making, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Concert [DVD] (DVD)
This was one of the best DVDs I have seen for some time. The sheer vitality of the acting was breathtaking. The music was invigorating and the settings were beautifully presented. I loved the comedic elements, especially the communist dinosaur and the penny pinching French producers. The realisation of the Moscow underworld was brilliant as was the capacity of the outcast musicians to rise above their misfortune through the power and passion of the music. I could attempt some sort of socio-historical commentary but this was a story of triumph out of adversity and I enjoyed it purely on that level and, of course, the Tchaikovsky violin concerto was sublime. The fact that it wasn't in Blu-ray didn't matter as the sound was so good and my PS3 player upscaled it beautifully. Dim the lights, ramp up the volume and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting!, 5 Mar 2011
J. Mero (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Concert [DVD] (DVD)
If you are fed up with all the Hollywood rubbish, and you want a movie where all the characters are really played out, this one is for you. Brilliant music, interesting, not overly sentimental story where the unwinding keeps you guessing.
But the big one here is the music. Just the sheer joy of it!
And you can watch it with your kids. They might even pick up a bit of real culture!

5.0 out of 5 stars A concert for the mind, 26 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Concert [DVD] (DVD)
I stopped to wonder "What the heck?" at the start of the film, but the rouble quickly dropped into place!

The film was so uplifting and funny!But at the end I had tears in my eyes.

The storyline is so biazarre and some of the humour is hysterical - I recall the line where the mega-rich Russian declares, in getting his way "Do you want me to cut of gas to Europe?" or something close to that....and he could!!!! But, remarkably, the film works on so many levels. There are serious moments, moments of pure pathos,sadness, irony, much humour and a wonderful end to a remarkable journey. You want to cheer and clap.

The filming of the violin playing and watching the player fingering....truly nice touch.

Don't let me bore you with a long-winded review. It's a fabulous film. Get it. Watch it. Watch it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Concert, 28 April 2011
J. Kibble (Powys Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Concert [DVD] (DVD)
This is an absolute gem of a film that can be viewed at several levels. There is a serious political point to the film and it can make you laugh and cry by turns. The music is exquisite from the brief regference to Mozart Piano Concerto 21 to the wonderful rendition of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto. There are absolute acting gems in principal and minor roles and you are willing everything to work out for them all. It is a sort of 'Amelie' film but with a much stronger story line based in Russian historical reality . Like me you will probably watch this film many times and always find something fresh. A treat buy it for yourselves and all your friends !

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best concerts I have ever been to, 7 April 2011
Mr. H. L. Hill (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Concert [DVD] (DVD)
I was talking to a friend about how I find many of the films coming out of Hollywood rather vacuous and that I had started watching more foreign language films. She recommended this and I have since passed on this recommendation to a number of other people. A wonderful life enhancing film centring round a group of Russian musicians who grab an opportunity to emerge from enforced retirement (I don't want to give the plot away) I am not a great fan of classical music but this film ably illustrates its power. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dream of a film!, 23 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Concert [DVD] (DVD)
This is a wonderful film - humorous, deeply moving, so perceptive about contemporary Russia and France. The performance of the Tchaikowsky Violin Concerto with which the film culminates is sublime. Both the stars - Melanie Laurent and Dmitri Nazarov - give wonderful performances. We've shown the film to lots of our friends and some of them have been reduced to tears. Couldn't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film for all, even non classical lovers, 5 Aug 2011
David N. Krafchick (Seattle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Concert [DVD] (DVD)
I had to buy this one because the US version only sell a dubbed version that misrepresents the power and beauty of this film. The quiet farce slowly turns serious and at that point, you know what's coming, but that's not the story we hear at the close. We are all wrong. That's what makes this a wonderful film. You will have tears in your eyes by the end, and the use of the Violin Concerto in D rarely gets to be such an essential part of the film. No spoilers here, no need. Why spoil it? I just want you all to know

I had to return this not because I did not love it, but as a Region 2 DVD, the only place it would play was on my computer. I have asked the Distributer to respond to my concerns, but it's gone down the rabbit hole of they do not care. Why this happened is beyond me. In all my years collecting films, I have never bought a Foreign film that came dubbed in English with no option for the original language. They could sell so many more if they produced a version in the Original Russian/French languages.

As I said, you are lucky. Europe got it right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Concert [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent movie. Well paced, excellent acting from unknown (to me) actors. Both funny and sad - a real treat of a film. Will view again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Concert, 20 Feb 2011
Lindsay D. George (Australia) - See all my reviews
Best French film since Cinema Paradiso or The Light

Will have you on the edge of your seat with the final scene

A three hanky film but cleverly woven with the political influence of Communism and the treatment of even talented Jewish musicians in Russia

A MUST see.

5.0 out of 5 stars The power of music, 10 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Concert [DVD] (DVD)
The best film I have seen in years. At the same time full of humour and so powerful in the feelings expressed through the power of music. When it was released in Paris, I went 3 times, and shed some tears at the end each time. I will view it many more times.

The Concert [DVD]
The Concert [DVD] by Radu Mihaileanu (DVD - 2010)