8 of 9 people found the following review helpful
on 19 February 2011
This product was advertised as a 245WT and yet when it arrived I couldn't see any way of getting the traffic updates, and I had a couple of other questions/problems, so here's what I emailed to AVIDES:
1) The outside of the box says it's a Nuvi 245WT, but the sat nav itself just says 245W, have I got the wrong one?
2) The manual inside is for a 205W, shouldn't this be for the 245WT?
3) There is no installation disk or, manual on disk, in fact any disk at all, is this correct?
4) There's no usb cable so how do I connect it to update the maps?
5) There is a cable with it which might be a traffic receiver but the connector looks similar to headphone jack, however the only sockets on the sat nav itself are an sd socket and a usb connection. How is this used?
I then spent about a month and about 20 emails going backwards and forwards to them trying to get answers to these questions, which I NEVER did! I eventually sent it back asking for a refund, and even then they couldn't do that straight away (though I now have the money back), they had more stupid comments and even wanted me to sign a software agreement form of some kind, which I refused to sign (Amazon customer services - thanks - also agreed that I shouldn't sign it).
So here is my advice, please DO NOT buy anything from AVIDES!!! Their customer service is rubbish and they can't even answer a few simple questions. They're almost as bad as NTL - I'm sure some reading this will know what I mean.
The 245W is a reasonable, basic sat nav (yes I did try it a bit) but the one I received had problems and seemed to have important bits missing. I'm off to buy a TomTom with my refund money :)