on 1 October 2001
Having not read any of the other books in the "Gateways" series, I was not sure if that would affect my enjoyment of 'Cold Wars'. I didn't. Peter David brings us his usual high standard combining humour and action with great characters. Calhoun and Shelby's starships are assigned to chase down reports of the Iconians selling Gateway devices. The ships are lead to two planets at war with each other, one side having used the gateway to launch an attack on the royal family of the other.
Introducing or rather reintroducing several new characters and fitting them in seamlessly to the NF frontier creates some interesting moments and each Captains' first officer steal the book at moments during their talks with their respective captains.
All in all a good read and highly recommend for Star Trek or Peter David fans alike
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 8 October 2001
My favourite NF book is still "Once Burned" but this one is also definitely one of the very best!
I could see that "Restoration" was indeed the start of a new exciting chapter in the NF saga. "Cold Wars" shows that having two captains, who are married, on two different ships but sharing the same mission is broadening the possibilities the series offers very much. I was carefully optimistic after "Restoration" but now, all my doubts are gone. NF has never been so complex, so interesting, so full of possibilities before!
The main reason why I love NF so much is the Calhoun/Shelby relationship. Not only did I enjoy it to read about their feelings for each other but that both of them are equal partners who complement each other very well. They are both the main characters of NF, as it should be. But also other characters got excellent character stories. Peter David is concentrating on specific characters, but I think that is a strength of the book. Nevertheless, Cold Wars is definitely an ensemble story, forming a basic after the start of the new chapter in "Restoration".
This books is fun to read, it is exciting, it is touching and it often made me think - also in connection with the recent atrocities in the USA. Well done!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again