Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

on 14 October 2010
R Haden does have a point in his 3 star review - some of this album sounds very familiar to anyone who has followed Steve and Toto through the years. For example the pre-chorus sections of 'Flash In The Pan' are a straight lift from 'Mysterious Ways' on Toto's 1999 'Mindfields' album. Tumescent, the closing instrumental track, is 'Jake To The Bone' revisited (1992 Kingdom of Desire). Parts of other tracks have familier sounding passages without my being able to pinpoint why.

Despite this, I actually think 'Flash In The Pan' is a great track. I also think that Steve does Steely Dan better than Steely Dan! For the second album in a row he has written an original piece, 'On My Way Home', and recorded it in the style of Steely Dan. This is the track I can't get out of my head. Fantastic stuff. I also really like 'Can't Look Back', 'Watching The World', 'You'll Remember' and 'Brody's'. They all contain something, a hook or guitar riff, that won't leave you alone. At first listen, I found 'Darkness In My World' and 'Don't Say It's Over' quite worthy but a bit dreary, probably because Steve wrote these lyrics at a low point in his life. I have warmed to them, however, with a few more plays.

I have mixed feelings about some of the production qualities on the album. Some tracks are really earthy and punchy. Steve's voice throughout is strong and 'live' and doesn't sound as though it has been fiddled with. However, in places some of the backing sounds a bit glitzy and the drum sounds too often have an 80's feel about them.

Nevertheless, there are far more positives than negatives and this album is head and shoulders above most other stuff out there today. Like R Haden I prefer his previous release 'Ever Changing Times' but nonetheless please don't think this latest offering isn't anything other than excellent, intelligent rock music from a truly superb musician. I believe this album is selling very well and he deserves every success for this and all the other 'unsung' music he has made over the last 30 years.

Good luck Steve.
on 8 September 2010
Steve's sixth solo album has a heavier edge to it than many of his previous albums, reminiscent of his 1989 debut solo album "Lukather" in places but with a more updated sound and guitar tones that have guitarists like me drooling. It still has the jazzy pop tracks too that are very Steely Dan sounding with great vocals from Steve but my favourite tracks are the Hendrixy blues rock tracks like "Flash In The Pan" which is amazing, "You'll Remember" and the final two tracks on the album "Brodie's" and "Tumescent". All of those tracks make me want to immediately pick up my guitar, Steve is inspirational.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2010
I'm 24 and most of my mates giggle at the fact that I consider Steve Lukather as one of my inspirations and guitar heroes, mostly due to his association with the band Toto which they consider an overhyped and commercial outfit. It's also incredibly irritating for me how they automatically assume that a guy who plays in a band like that can't play guitar for some reason!

Now to the album! I will try not to go into too much detail with each song as I'm sure you're only looking for a brief summary to lure you into buying this album, but anyway..

'Darkness in my world' begins in sombre mood with Luke singing unaccompanied but then bursts into life with a crunching guitar riff followed later on by a typically beautiful Luke guitar solo!

'On my way home' is almost a dead rip off of a Steely Dan tune with a chilled out kind of groove!

'Can't look back' definitely is one of the stand out tracks on the album. A very upbeat chorus and an an immense guitar solo towards the end of the song, probably my second favourite song on the album!

'Don't say it's over' is very reminiscent of a Toto ballad! Some excellent emotive soloing from Steve, emphasising the impressive guitar tone he is renowned for.

'Flash in the pan' has a Hendrix style intro which continues as the theme for most of the song. Some imaginative lyrics throughout the song and especially in the chorus!

'Watching the world' one of the weaker songs on the album for me, I could almost drift through this song without it being that memorable but again it's very Toto esque and slow paced. However that's not to say it won't appeal to some listeners!

'You'll remember' has a fantastic bluesy groove to it, and almost another hendrix style intro. The chorus is memorable and uplifting, with Luke playing some funky style chords.

'Brodie's' this is the best track on the album for me! A superb guitar intro (again almost Hendrix like!) but this song along with 'Flash in the pan' have easily the best lyrics on the album. "Another right wing cat getting busted for blow, he's cheating on his lady with Tiger Woods' ho" are just some that stand out! It also features some of the most creative and memorable playing from Luke on this album!

'Tumescent' a purely instrumental track but a very good one at that. Some of the guitar work almost could be used in a Dreamtheater song, it's got a very progressive feel to it! Again one of my favourites on the album!

In summary, a very good album from this guitar legend! Luke is probably one of the most versatile musicians I have ever come across, I expect this is due to his work as a session's musician for most of his career. He is also extremely underrated and overlooked by guitarist's such as Slash who come no-where near to the abilities Luke has as a guitarist. This guy can sing too unlike most of his peers so he should definitely be given the credit he is due, so go and support Steve by buying this album!
on 10 November 2010
Having been a massive Lukather fan since Toto4 I couldn't wait for this to add to my completist collection. It is a great album that truely shows his song writing craftsmanship and showcases his great playing. A mixed bag of tracks held together by his vocals and fretwork. Each solo is a gem. This album is darker than previous ones but more emotive for it. You won't be disappointed. Enjoy.
on 23 December 2010
Great musicianship, great CD and v good production. IF you like TOTO and or Steve Lukather, this is another brilliant album in my opinion!
on 12 October 2010
Just got this album yesterday and it really delivers for me! Although I'm a long time fan of Luke's (and TOTO) and perhaps not entirely objective compared to others, I have to say that this has some truly great playing, wonderful production and terrific songs on it. Lyrically it is a little on the dark side (but clearly heartfelt and very topical in places) but musically it is one of the best things I've heard in a long while. There are respectful hints of Hendrix, Jeff Beck and Steely Dan all through the CD but always with Steve's own unique musical stamp. Real playing, and real songs are 100% alive here in an industry currently jam-packed with pre-packaged, auto-tuned and derivative rubbish. Stand out tracks for me are 'Flash In The Pan' (great lyrics!) and 'Brody's' but I really like the whole CD. His guitar playing sounds the most mature and emotional that I've ever heard it and his singing is a stand out feature for me on several tracks. We certainly haven't heard the last from Mr Lukather and this CD is one of his strongest statements yet. Highly recommended!
on 28 January 2011
Everybody knows Lukather of course, at least his good name. I am not a Toto fan and have no previous Luke Cd but I like this album, I bought it to give it a try and was pleasantly surprised. Like many guitarists he might be better off not singing but if you just listen to the guitar work, and the songs in general, this is objectively good stuff. Recommended to guitar fans.
on 12 November 2010
Another album from "Luke",only this time as a proper solo artist.The great catalogue of music with Toto is there for all to sample,but now he is making a statement on his own.However,it has come at a price,with his Mother's death and divorce to deal with,you could forgive him for wanting to forget about music entirely,and although these themes are explored on the album,it's by no means a project of misery.The opening track "Darkness In My World",with it's menacing riff, would seem to contradict this,but overall the album is a wonderful collection of guitar driven classics including a huge tip of the hat to Steely Dan with "On My Way Home",my favourite track.Steve is touring Europe 2010/2011,so beg,steal or borrow a ticket if you want to see a true master of the electric guitar,oh and by the way,i'm not related to him,honest!Just a huge fan among millions that love this guy,thank you Steve!
on 20 October 2010
This is the album of a mature musician , in the most positive way Lukather plays a wonderful guitar and sings in a very expressive way.For me truly a step ahead in his personal music evolution.
I don't think he's repeating himself at all, it's simply unity of style in his music.Does anyone blame Paul McCartney or Eric Clapton for repeating licks ? or Chopin for repeating harmonies? I think no one does cause everyone repeat themselves , it's the DNA .
There are great songs here with great arrangements like On my way home ,Flash in the pan and meaningful and deep songs like Darkness in my World and Don't say it's over.
If you like good music , check this one.
The best sign it's that when it's finished , the album seems short.
on 23 November 2010
This is a natural follow-up to 'Ever Changing Times', once again a diversified album loaded with hooks, contageous grooves and great playing from 'Luke' himself and guest musicians !
Furthermore, the production is slick and nothing is repetitive nor predictable, a great 'musician's' type album but accessible enough for the everyday music fan that has taste ! :)
Some of the special guests include: Jeff Babko, Steve Weingart, both 'Luke's son and daughter plus 'Fee Waybill'.
I bought the "special edition' which has a beautiful booklet loaded with a great text (written by 'The Man' himself) for each song + lyrics and lots of cool studio pics !
You've gotta' pic this one up !