5.0 out of 5 stars "my life that could have been... and wasn't", 9 Jun. 2009
Mr. I. Ogilvie "Mr O" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
One of the most enjoyable Star Trek reads I have had in a long time. This is the first Star Trek book I have read by this author, yes that means that I have not read the McCoy or Spock Crucible books that precede it. It works as a standalone story, but I am looking forward to reading the other books in the trilogy.
This author captures Kirk perfectly, the characterisation spot on for me. I confess I am long overdue a re-watch of The Original Series, my view of Kirks character being shaped by his development through the feature films.
As well as writing the character of Kirk effortlessly and expertly, what has set this author apart from other Trek authors for me is as he states in his own words in the forward he does not set out to write merely a satisfying story he wants to surprise the reader. I often think that altered timeline stories possess a certain degree of "play it safe", permitting the author a bit of breathing room in terms of violating canon.
In this book the author weaves a great plot around an inadvertent change to the timeline caused by the events of the film Star Trek-Generations. The nexus and the Guardian of Forever are used intelligently to provide a rollercoaster ride through the events that have shaped Kirk, permitting him to muse on what could have happened if he turned left rather than right etc. This is anything but passé. The plot gathers momentum from page 1, reaching a crescendo over the course of the last hundred pages: I literally could not put it down.
There were some heavyweight science fiction writers that contributed stories to the Original Series, we might just have another one here.

Five stars no hesitations. A lesson to all would be Star Trek writers showing what intelligent, well observed writing can do.

5.0 out of 5 stars The final part of a the crucible trilogy., 14 July 2007
While not as good as the first crucible book, it is better then second & brings the trilogy to a satisfying conclusion.