on 17 August 2008
I have waited a long time for this book - or it seems that way at least. For years, other Star Trek books have been telling me that it's coming, and now it's finally here.

I was disappointed.

I suppose that there's nothing wrong with it as such - the writing is all good, the cover style amused me, and side one looked like an excellent springboard for side two.

Unfortunately, at that point it unravelled. Now, it's not that side two was in any way bad - the story of Iliana Ghemor was written excellently, and certainly brought you to sympathise with her in a way that I find exceedingly rare for non-canon characters, ones created be Peter David and Keith R.A. deCandido excluded. However, at the end of the side, while you did have an excellent insight into the main enemy of this current saga, you ended up... nowhere. Actually further back, story-wise, than you were at the end of side one.

Realising that you have read a book which is part of a longer saga, but at the end of it are no closer to a resolution than you were at the start is disappointing indeed. It bring up unhelpful reminders of Pirates of the Caribbean 2, and the Matrix Reloaded - in themselves good movies, but ones which utterly fail to advance the plot even one iota.

I'd still say the book is worth reading, but unfortunately only on the grounds that if you don't, the following ones won't make sense.
on 2 August 2008
Okay so Side One was good, establishing things for a future book and showing us that the Mirror Universe episodes in trek weren't just random, that said, I do think that this side was a little short and tried to compact too much information and set up into itself, but that in no way detracts from the easy reading of the narrative.

Side Two, now this os waht I call good writing, you have non of the cannon characters in it but Illianna's story draws you in and its a heart breaking one at that. Plus we get to see what an absolute bastard Dukat really was before he went down in the fire caves!!!
on 21 September 2008
The novel is split into two distinct books.

Book One continues from the events of 'Warpath' and is the shorter of the two. The book is let down by the fact that it doesn't seem to advance the story much, which left me very disappointed especially considering all the delays this book has endured. Sisko's role as the Emissary was expanded in an interesting way, which was the highlight for me, and Kira Nerys re-examines her past. The book also makes more use of the new Major Cenn character, and the author has done an excellent service to the non-canon characters in general.

Book Two is quite simply superb and has a very similar feel to the Garak novel 'A Stich In Time'. It is all about Illiana Ghemor's life. Growing up in a rich family on Cardassia, then how she became involved in an undercover mission on Bajor, and where she has been for the past 15 years. The dramatic twists and developments in this story are breathtaking, and I was left open mouthed on several occasions at the power of the imagery. I used to like Dukat before reading this.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2010
Theres not an awful lot to Fearful Symmetry, although its a case of quality over quantity. For a first time author, the characterisation was excellent; I could picture Avery Brooks, Nana Visitor, Alexander Siddig, Armin Shimerman, Nicole de Boer, Marc Alaimo etc delivering the lines written for the characters. Dukat was always the ultimate villain in Star Trek, yet Fearful Symmetry aids another layer to his character. Fearful Symmetry is Iliana Ghemor's story and it depicts her life over a fourteen year period. Similarities have been drawn to "A Stitch in Time", a fair analysis, although the scenes before Ghemor's imprisonment are brief.
on 13 September 2015
Brought as a gift for a friend, he loves it as a big fan he said he would recommend it
on 9 February 2014
I have got to page 50 and given up on it as a waste of my time reading this rubbish. I am an ardent Star Trek reader and have hundreds of books. This is the worst. I have not yet found a plot and the number of characters ( some we know from DS9) have been through alternate universes and been duplicates of themselves and others until I don't know who anybody is any more. Shame. Gives the. Genre a bad name. There is no hook to make me read on further.
on 12 January 2011
Side 1 is OK, but the real meat is Side 2. Iliana Ghemor goes from an idealistic young Cardassian woman who wants to be an artist to.....well, 3 fries short of a happy meal.

A powerful, heartbreaking read. It loses some momentum towards the end but its still worth a read.