4.0 out of 5 stars The best Mac version yet. Cross-platform productivity.
Published on 31 Oct 2010 by A. S. Garton

2.0 out of 5 stars Held to ransom
Published on 19 April 2011 by The Happy Space Invader

4.0 out of 5 stars The best Mac version yet. Cross-platform productivity., 31 Oct 2010
A. S. Garton "age garton" (milton keynes, england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Office for Mac Home and Student 2011 (Family Pack) (Software)
This is Microsoft's best attempt by far to produce productivity software for the Mac. I have the Home & Student version, which came with a three-Mac license. At this level, you get Word, Excel and PowerPoint, along with a load of old Microsoft guff in the form of almost useless accessories. You do get three other useful bits of kit though: the first is Messenger for Mac, which is now fully functional and a very well formed message tool. You also get Remote Desktop for Mac, and Web App support. Of these, the former is far more useful than the latter (I use Remote Desktop to connect my work PC laptop to my iMac, cable-free - works a treat). There is no email app in this bundle - but don't let that put you off (both Entourage and Outlook are shockingly behind the curve these days!).

Word, Excel and PowerPoint now strike a much improved balance between the familiarity and functionality of the Windows versions, and the functional stability and core principles of all good Mac software. All three applications feel slicker, less cumbersome and more intuitive. The apps are all full of excellent features, as you would expect from software that has been developed over so many years, but these are presented well so that the interface doesn't feel bloated. The new ribbon works well, and it's good to see that you can turn this on or off as you prefer. In fact, if you're a Windows user, you'll probably be quite familiar with the ribbon and it will help you make the transition between the two platforms.

It is fair to say that MS Office does nothing significantly better than Apple's iWork suite, so in some respects it's a shame that we still need to feed the MS corporate machine. However, if you're like me - and many millions of people out there are - and you use a Mac as your machine of choice, and a Windows PC as you tool of work, MS Office for Mac does one thing exceptionally well. It allows you to work on the same document, cross-platform, without importing, exporting, converting, or pulling your hair out because what you did last night on your Mac doesn't look the same this morning on your PC. Files transfer seamlessly - full stop!

Actually it does something else very well. The SmartArt tool set, especially in PowerPoint, is nothing short of amazing. It's stupidly easy to use and makes it so easy to prepare highly professional presentations. I just wish iWork had a similar tool.

In summary, you can believe the anti-hype from those who can't see over the lids of their MacBooks and take it as read that MS Office 2011 for Mac is not worthy..... if you want to. I use both platforms - I have to - and I can honestly say that I prefer the Mac based Office 2011 to the Windows version, that I think it represents better value for money as a bundle of software, and that it does make cross-platform productivity the breeze it always should have been.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great and works well, 13 Nov 2011
Recently moved across from Windows to Mac and boy am I glad that I did. But I still need to use Excel and Word for work so I had to buy Office for Mac. The functionality is as good as it is on Windows and documents and workbooks shared with windows users present no problems whatsoever. Visually I find it stunning to use on a mac too. Many Mac users are real Windows dissenters but Excel and Word have been around for a long time and as such are very sophisticated packages and get the job done well. As for Microsoft's usual bloat, who cares? These Macs come with 500 Gig hard drives as routine, mine has 1 TB, so what's the harm?

All in all, does what it's supposed to 100% and looks great, hence 5 stars as I can't fault this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective and useable, sometimes slow and buggy, 22 Mar 2011
I am very impressed with this version of Office. All the previous versions on the Mac seemed largely behind their Windows counterparts. Office 2011 seems to have largely closed the gap_

-The interface finally uses the 'Ribbon' which not only exposes new features that used to be hidden away, but makes them quickly accessible and easy to use.
-The compatibility checker is extremely useful: it tells you if there will be any incompatibility between your document and other versions of office.
-Finally, the start time and speed is improved over Office 2008.

There are a few downsides:

-Sometimes there are a few display bugs and certain buttons don't work. These bugs are resolved by restarting the application.
-There are a few things which are painfully slow (like using 'Find and Replace') and sometimes when I want to choose a different color of text (which is probably a bug).

There is no reason to think that these problems won't be fixed in a future software update.

Overall, I highly recommend it.

(I am using an early 2010 Macbook Pro, 13")

2.0 out of 5 stars Held to ransom, 19 April 2011
I generally agree with the other reviewers here (particularly the 3-star reviews) although I can't help feeling that we've all developed Stockholm Syndrome when it comes to Microsoft Office (and perhaps all Microsoft software). Are we honestly using MS Office because it's the best available, or because we love the end-user experience? Or are we really using it because it remains the de facto standard (particularly within large corporations)?

If you want to produce MS Office compatible documents, ensuring they will open in someone's MS Office installation on Windows while preserving the formatting you originally intended, there really is no substitute. If iWork or OpenOffice could do the same, I'd be ditching Microsoft Office in the blink of an eye

Office 2011 does have some minor visual and performance improvement above the previous version, but still an awful lot of bloat, many unnecessary and redundant features, some questionable UI design and the desperately old-fashioned and not very Mac-like update mechanism that requires quitting all MS Office Apps, and Safari (why?), and then downloading and installing a 600+ MB package.

This remains software that I use because I am forced to, rather than because I choose to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge problems when later trying to add outlook, 18 April 2012
Adding outlook later caused massive problems. MS seems to treat office as one package that needs one license. I spent about 6-8 hours trying to resolve the problem and eventually gave up and bought the business version. Microsofts website is extremely cluttered with info that wasn't relevant. I rang them and also tried chat and both times they wouldn't help. I would buy an alternative if there was one.

Note I also considered upgrading this package but MS wanted GBP 129 just to add outlook!

I wish I could avoid microsoft products. As soon as a good option is available I will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now a mature and stable suite, 28 Oct 2010
I was going to waffle, but in brief this programme has matured since its introduction and I now think it really is the best option for Mac users who also need to be able to also work with Word, Powerpoint and Excel in Windows. Apple Mail is also a lot better now and it is easy enough to migrate contacts from Outlook into Mail; just email them across to yourself. So justifiable early moans of no Outlook to replace Entourage in this suite can be countered by suggesting most of us will not need it. The caveat is that Mail in versions of Mac OS X prior to Lion may disagree. I would have done.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mac Killer, 14 Feb 2011
I am obliged to use Office for work, so I had to use Office 2008 which often brought me close to tears, due to the frequent crashes, difficulty in performing simple tasks and the fact that if often brought my Mac to its knees in terms of processing. It reminded me of computing 15 years ago where you had to save your work every 10 minutes to prevent yourself from losing it. Anyway, now I have Office 2011 and nothing really has changed. Just cutting and pasting columns of numbers into Excel is enough to crash the Mac. It looks prettier, and if you just want to write letters and shopping lists then Office is probably ok. For anything serious then I don't recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Home use Package for Mac, 27 Feb 2012
Mr. D. McEvoy "Evazion" (Co Down) - See all my reviews
Does what it says on the tin so to speak, easy to install on Mac and reads PC based files without difficulty a must for all Mac users who are use to windows based word application.

5.0 out of 5 stars MACBOOK PRO - Best and Cheapest way to use on MACBOOK PRO, 28 Dec 2011
After a long time confusions and questions as to which one is the best and cheapest for our MacBook Pros, Pages/Numbers or Microsoft Office, we settled on this one and we don't regret at all but recommend. 3 of us shared buying this product and we are using this on 3 MacBook Pros in 3 different addresses without a problem and it's all working fine. The only thing that I don't understand is the documents I create on Mac, when I print from Windows, the pages come funny. Funny meaning sometimes no spaces between words, no correct alignment etc. But who cares? Now I print from Mac and everything is fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems experienced, 23 Nov 2010
Tried to install this on my iMac desktop, 2.66 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, running X.5.8 - can't open any of its applications - they simply crash out before opening.
I also installed it on a new MacBook Pro, running Snow Leopard; here, the applications open but Word frequently crashes.
Yes, I'm tried installing the first upgrade, 14.0.1, to both computers: no change.
Tried the Microsoft email enquiry 'service': told, in effect, to search the web for a solution.
This may be my fault of course - perhaps having earlier versions of Office on the same computer doesn't help? But I haven't the time or expertise to find out, so I'm going back to Word 2004 for Mac, which works reliably.

Office for Mac Home and Student 2011 (Family Pack)
Office for Mac Home and Student 2011 (Family Pack) by Microsoft Software (Mac OS X Intel)
165.00