5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Clear Rocky!
Oh, Rocky! It's never going to get any better that this. It looks great, it sounds great. Fox have finally given 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' (1975) the A/V love and respect it so richly deserves. They've made a few $ from this one over the decades and it was obviously time to give something back.

It couldn't really look an more pristine, the print transfer...
Published on 4 Dec 2010 by Arch Stanton

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant film but the extras let it down
As a big Rocky Horror fan I had high expectations of this DVD, but sadly they were not met. I'm not talking about the film, which had excellent picture and sound quality as you would expect from a DVD, but about the extras which were a big disapointment. Yes there are some good bits, some interesting interviews and the commentary gives an extra insight in to the film, but...
Published on 30 Mar 2003 by M. Dexter

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Clear Rocky!, 4 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Rocky Horror Picture Show [Blu-ray] [1975] (Blu-ray)

It couldn't really look an more pristine, the print transfer is fabulous, colours positively pop from the screen, solid blacks and NO trace of DNR. The grain that is visible, should be visible. Given the age of the of the film, the 70's stock used to shoot on, it all holds up remarkably well. There are slight issues around the quality of a few shots that incorporate optical's but nothing of any real concern, besides, these minor issues cannot be avoided. The audio is also given a real boost and is unlikely to sound better. Extras are plentiful, some new to Blu ray, others ported over from the previous DVD release.

If you've never seen the film -stop wasting time reading this and buy it immediately! If you already own a copy on DVD, go for this Blu ray upgrade, superior image and audio quality, this transfer is superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars Slowly, slowly, it's too nice a job to rush, 5 July 2005
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (RHPS) is difficult to describe, yet so easy to indulge in. If you like a bit of camp, singing, perversion, muscle, transvestism, dancing, parody, and Tim Curry, then this is the film for you! With many wonderful lines, and superb song lyrics, I cannot help take RHPS with me wherever I go, whether it be quoting Frank 'N' Furter's lines (and doing the mock Chelsea accent) at unsuspecting friends - 'You must be awwwfully proud of him Janet' - or singing to an audience of imaginary Transylvanians in the shower - 'I'm a sweet transvestite' (though I'm not, of course). The plot is less Rocky, more Mocky Horror, which only adds to the general sense of decadence in Frank's castle, and from beginning to end the audience is taken on a hedonistic ride into the mind of Richard O'Brien's fantasy world (I'm very grateful). As the film and theatre show are so well known, there is not much point in re-telling the story, but I can hopefully add some light "over at the Frankenstein place". The lips we see in the opening credits belong to the show's creator, and the castle in which the fun takes place really exists in Windsor (it is now a hotel, and very nice too!). You might want to look out for some typical B-movie editing problems, such as the magically disappearing/reappearing carpet in the "Time Warp" scene (look closely), and the trickle of blood at the Freezer's entrance (Eddie is killed inside!), but I can't help think that such mistakes add to the charm - as Frank would say, 'Well, how nice!" Tim Curry has a truly sensual voice, and legs that any woman OR man would die for, while Susan Saradon, Little Nell, and Barry Bostwick never fail to entertain - '[Riff Raff, from inside the front door] You're wet. [Janet, at the doorstep] Yes, it's raining. [Brad, also at the doorstep] Yes. [Riff Raff] Yes.' In the end, the film speaks for itself, so I don't have to (doesn't mean I won't). Buy it, watch it, re-watch it, get your friends to watch it, and before long you'll be preaching to the converted! Have fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, 26 Aug 2007
Is it wrong that I remember watching Rocky Horror as a child and not finding anything at all strange about it?

How can you describe Rocky Horror? Ingenuis songs and music? Hugely likeable and amusing characters? Brilliant acting? I think it's a combination of them all.

I think Rocky Horror is a bit like marmite and I'm firmly in the 'love it' category. For those who aren't sure if they'd enjoy it, the plot is this.

Brad and Janet, two ordinary healthy kids, left Denton to visit a Dr Everett Scott. Along the way they have a blown tyre. They wander along the road looking for help and stumble upon an old castle. Janet, terrified, doesn't want to go any further. Brad, being the tought bloke insists they need to get to a phone and call for help.

The castle's inhabitants aren't what they expect and they are dragged into a world they would never have thought existed...

What can be said about the acting that hasn't been said. Tim Curry is fantastic in this part (and curiously attractive..and that's from a straight female!). His voice is superb, his facial expressions are hilarious and the sheer perfection of his lipstick application is something to behold. It's a shame he now distances himself from Rocky Horror as he feels he's been typecast as this is probably his best ever performance. Tim Curry is a true showman, and it's shown in Rocky.

The music in this film is not only ingenuis, but massively catchy. I love how it's got a rock undertone and unlike Grease (dare I say it!) it's not cheesy. While the sets aren't stunning, that doesn't matter. Rocky captures something else. I guess that's what makes it so special, it's impossible to know what makes grown men dress in drag to go to the theatre to see this 25 year on, but Rocky manages it effortlessly.

I guess a lot of people are freaked out by the notion of transvestytes and the bi-sexuality of Frank-n-Furter. I don't feel freaked out at all. In fact, Rocky makes me feel the same way Priscilla Queen of the Desert makes me feel. You just want to shed your inhibitions and say 'to hell with it!'

This film is just something else. I've been brought up on it's music, themes and general outragousness. Rocky also creates an open minded view about a lot of aspects in our society that we shun, or try and distance ourselves from. Despite Frank-n-Furter's actions, I felt sorry for him in the end. The thing is, we never actually know if he's good or bad. He just seems lost, and in a way it's tragic.

A fantastic film, which will very probably make you sing along.

(Also, keep an eye out for the Crystal Dome when they do the castle shot. No doubt Richard O'Brien's inspiration for his other classic idea!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bizarrely excellent, 22 Oct 2005
On first watching this I was surprised, amused and a little horrified to be honest. Since watching it that first time it has risen in my estimations rapidly, and now when I think of it I start smiling.
It is one of the strangest films you will come across, no doubt; but the bizarre, weird, transexual and wonderful world of the rocky horror show win you over I'm sure, sooner or later!
Tim Curry and Susan Sarandon have major roles in this film, originally slated by critics. They both put in good performances and are supported wildly from all directions.
The songs take up a good part of this, and are fantastic. 'Time Warp', 'Sweet Transvestite' and 'Hot Patootie' now feature on my own music collection (under bizarre rock!), and the appearance of Meatloaf for 'Hot Patootie' is another treat.
I suggest that buying this straight off before seeing it might not always be suitable considering the strange and, perhaps for some, worrying nature of this film, but it is definately a classic - in what genre though I have no idea!
One of my favourites, and I'm sure it will become a favourite of many to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Will Chill You, Thrill You and Fulfil You!, 22 Aug 2011
Many years ago a (now ex)girlfriend asked me to record this of the TV for her as it was on around 2am (as it always seems to be) I had never seen it but when I watched it with her the following day It was quite an experience.
I had never seen anything like it.
Rocky Horror is the only film I have ever watched twice in one day, I had to see it again, I was amazed by it.
The soundtrack, the catchy one liners, the lyrics, the performances, its just fantastic.
Halloween, New Years Eve, staggering home after a night out, nights in with friends...
None of these have been quite the same since Rocky Horror came into my life.
Any chance I get I will stick on Rocky Horror, it is the ultimate feel good film!
Invite round everyone you know, crank up the volume, open the beers, open the wine and relax;
The show is about to begin....
You wont regret it, if your never seen this film, please do!
The DVD looks and sound fantastic and if you can,get the 2 disc version as it has great special features for fans.
I give this film The Charles Atlas Seal Of Approval ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Rocky Horror Collection!, 16 May 2006
For every Rocky Horror Fan this is the ultimate collection! There's loads of extras in here like postcards and stills and the lip box packaging looks totally amazing.

There's also the inclusion of Shock Treatment which is the Rocky Horror Sequel and has never been on DVD before.

The film is as great as ever but looks even better on the DVD shelf in this fabulous package. Ten out of Ten all round.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant, 19 Jan 2004
As someone who has seen this film hundreds of times, I thought there wasn't much point in buying this DVD, but for the sake of completeness I did anyway, and was I glad I did!
Not only do you get the audio comentary, the audience participation section was fantastic! I didn't see the movie many times in the theatre, but now I remember why I enjoyed it so much when I did. It's also a great guide for those who aren't familiar with the audience participation.
My only tiny complaint is the re-recording of the sound, it's a little different to the original, and the soundtrack.
This is a great buy for RH fans, but buy it anyway if u enjoy a good laugh and a good sing-along! :P

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD version is superb, 5 Nov 2001
Amazon Customer (Belfast, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Not only this film an absolute classic with one of the best sound tracks I have ever heard in my life, but the DVD version is brilliant. It is worth the money just for all the special features alone, including the "Theatrical Experience", the audience participation tracks and the obligatory interviews.
Absolute genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible lullaby, 16 Jan 2005
Try to fall asleep in front of this - if you can then some great nightmares are in store. The score is wonderful and rewatching is so easy, not like some films that are unbearable to watch twice. Makes me wish I was old enough to see it when it was first released and ponder how Richard O'Brien ended up on the crystal maze-what a waste of such an unbelievable talent.
Long live the science fiction double feature picture show!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unclassifiably Brilliant, 5 Jan 2014
Keith M - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Well, OK, I suppose if you were to try to compare Jim Sharman's 1975 film version of his and Richard O'Brien's classic stage musical to anything else, perhaps an amalgam of Frankenstein (or maybe Young Frankenstein) and Cabaret might get closest. But, of course, with a cult film such as this, all rational thought and reasoning pretty much goes out the window and what you're left with is (for me) an inexplicably invigorating and vibrant piece of 'showbusiness' (in the very best sense) - pretty much unique in terms of 'musicals'.

And indeed, although a film version (even a singalong one at the Prince Charles cinema, for example) can never really recreate the intoxicating atmosphere of a live theatre performance (and I've seen a number in my time), the inclusion of the original Frank N Furter, Tim Curry, is a critical element in the film getting just about as close as it could to its theatre equivalent. If ever there was a man made (no pun intended) for a role, it is surely Curry and Furter (as it were) - the former possessing just about the ideal physique and vocal delivery for his alter ego. Thereafter, Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick both deliver perfectly satisfactory turns (she perhaps more impressive than he) as Janet and Brad, whilst O'Brien, Patricia Quinn and 'punk star' Little Nell Campbell are suitably feisty as Frank's sidekicks (respectively) Riff Raff, Magenta and Columbia. Of course, also reprising his stage production role here is Meatloaf as the maverick Eddie, whose rendition of Whatever Happened To Saturday Night (or Hot Patootie - Bless My Soul, if you prefer) is, for me, one of the musical highlights of the film. Jonathan Adams is also excellent as the Dr Stangelove-like doctor Everett V Scott, providing a nice 'stocking and suspenders transition moment' - however, I've always found Peter Hinwood's Rocky to be one the weakest portrayals here (and notably his Sword Of Damocles rendition is excluded from the soundtrack album).

Probably the only (short) period in which my attention wanders during the film is that focusing on Rocky, the period just before Janet's marvellous Touch-a, Touch-a, Touch-a, Touch Me. This is, of course, only a minor blip and with other songs like Dammit, Janet!, Sweet Transvestite, The Time Warp, Hot Patootie, Don't Dream It Be It and I'm Going Home (all with great production values) there is hardly another weak moment.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show [Blu-ray] [1975]
The Rocky Horror Picture Show [Blu-ray] [1975] by Jim Sharman (Blu-ray - 2010)
6.00