5.0 out of 5 stars Same as the EC 152 but better looking
I have had a De'Longhi EC152 for about five years and had no trouble with it at all, but sadly it is now getting a little tired (maybe from over use as I am a pure coffee adict). The EC152 has had excellent reviews here on Amazon and was voted best in Which Magazine, that came on top of much more expensive machines.

So just to upmarket a bit, I have decided to...
Published on 12 July 2012 by Mr. G. Holt

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed
I bought this espresso machine as a replacement for a much loved Krups Vivo 880 espresso machine, which broke down after years of constant use. With the Krups I could get a thick cup of espresso with a really complex taste that nearly matched a well made espresso on a commercial machine. The Delongi looks very good, the controls are easy to use and, although not cheap,...
Published 20 months ago by Mr. S. Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Same as the EC 152 but better looking, 12 July 2012
Mr. G. Holt "Amazon Customer" (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)

So just to upmarket a bit, I have decided to go for this newer model, the De'Longhi EC220.CD. It is more or less identical on the control panel and has the same workings as the previous model but the outside appearance has been made to look a bit more modern and stylish, although it is £5 dearer here on Amazon than the present EC152, it is cheaper than anywhere else in the market place. So purchasing this model isn't going to make me bankrupt just yet. Looking at its stylish front, it looks like it has been made to fit a taller cup under the filter spout (but I may be wrong and won't know until it arrives) which many people seemed to have complained about with the previous EC152 model, although when making an expresso, you only need a small shot cup or glass anyway, so just pour this into you larger cup when making a Latte or Capuchino. Fingers crossed, if this machine performs as good the EC152 model, then I will be very happy bunny indeed.

It amazes me how many people find that the milk frother does'nt seem to froth the milk properly. It does when you know how to use it. It takes a bit of practice that's all, but once you get the hang of it, its a doddle, believe me, and you get hot frothy milk every time for your Latte's and Cappuchino's.

My old machine produced coffee just as good as any high street coffee shop and works out much cheaper too, and its nice to be able to make proper coffee at home. Reading the reviews so far on this model (EC220.CD), it seems to equal the 150 or so good reviews of its predecessor, except for the 20 or so negative reviews which you always get on whatever product review you see here on Amazon. Maybe there are a few faulty models that seem to escape quality control at the manufacturers, but there are always the whingers who are never happy with what ever they buy, even when they work perfectly, trouble is most of these people don't digest the instructions properly but thats life. If you are one of those unfortunate people to end up with a faulty machine though (and this does happen occasionally) then you can always get a replacement, you have consumer rights protection by law. But Amazon will gladly replace any faulty item post free if purchased directly from them, with no hassle, that's why I deal with Amazon a lot. So far I have only had to return one item in 15 years and got a replacement two days later. ANYWAY, go for this coffee maker if you want a good machine, better than most that cost three times the amount. I can assure you, you won't be dissapointed! The only criticism I have is the instruction manual, it is all in pictures with no mention that the machine will be very noisey whilst flushing through the system. So don't be alarmed if this happens and it will, all new coffee machines do this until the system is flushed through to get rid of the trapped air.

Edited 16/07/2012

My new De'Longhi EC220.CD Expresso Coffee Machine arrived this morning and it is even better than my older EC152 model, although the inside workings are identical. Just a word of caution before you start brewing your first cup of Expresso or Latte/Capuchino. Read or should I say follow the picture insructions in the user manual. Make sure you flush it through with two tank fulls of hot water before you start to make your first coffee. This is to rid the system of trapped air throughout the water pipes. It will make a very loud gurgling sound at first, so don't think that there is something wrong. It will take several minutes before water starts coming through but will soon get much quieter once the first tank has gone through it will settle down to less than the sound of a boiling kettle once the air has been expelled. (This loud noise is the trapped air being forced through the system and this will apply to all new coffee machines, so there is nothing wrong with yours, it just sounds awful whilst this is taking place) To catch the water whilst flushing, use a low plastic container and place it under the filter spout, if it gets full before the tank is empty, just switch off the machine, empty the container, then replace again. Once you have flushed through the machine, you are ready to start making your first coffee. Try not to keep removing the water tank to fill up. Fill it up with the tank in situ, otherwise in time, the rubber seal at the botton will start to leak after about twelve months. Fill it with a jug whilst attached to the machine, keep lifting it on and off everytime you refill it will eventually loosen the watertight seal

If you like your coffee strong, then use the double cup filter, as the single filter will only give you a weaker brew. If you are a Latte/Cappuchino lover, then the best receptical to froth your milk in, is a stainless steel 300ml jug for a single cup, or you can use a 600ml which will do two large Latte's. If you want to learn how to get a good froth, look at some of the YouTube videos on how to do this, there are lots of interesting tips on how to make coffee as well as Cappuchino Art, where you can learn how to make some stunning designs using the dark creama and the white froth from the milk on top of your Cappuchino's. Before you know it, you will be making coffee as good as any High St Barista, it is all so easy once you have mastered the technique. And you can make coffee with these budget priced machines, just as good as Buckstars, Oren or Atsoc can, with there state of the art machines which cost thousands of pounds, it's just that it takes a little longer and a bit of patience. Once you can froth milk properly, you can enjoy coffee, just like you can in the High St coffe bars. A milk thermometer that clips on the side of your jug will help you to get the temperature right and once you have got the feel of how warm the jug should be to the touch, you will be frothing your milk without one, it's all a mater of practice. Getting the milk to the right temperature is the art to successful coffee, too cold and it wont froth right, too hot and it will burn and taste burnt. ALWAYS wipe the milk frother spout, unscrew the plastic end piece and wash under a tap, empty the cake from the filter when you have finished using the machine, then replace the empty filter and flush a cup of hot water through the machine, so that it is ready to use again when you get the urge for another coffee. Keeping your machine parts clean and flushed through will ensure it will continue working for many many years. And try to descale the system at least every six months. You can buy De'Longhi descaling soulution here on Amazon. Just one more tip to make the perfect expresso with a good creama, dont tamp the coffee to hard before attaching the filter to your machine, you can judge this by trial and error, the empty cake should not be wet, but just firm enogh that it wont fall out when you tip it upside down, a gentle tap and it will fall out mostly in one piece. Once you get this right you will produce the perfect creama in your shot cup/glass. Practice makes perfect.

Happy Expressing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but produces Wonderful coffee.., manually, 26 April 2013
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
I am a complete noob to making coffee from Beans. I have had a couple of percolators in the past but hated the taste of the coffee produced. But, having had this coffee pump machine for two whole days.., all I can say is wow! The taste, even using cheaper 'own brand' beans is a whole different (and better) experience to the coffee produced by Starbucks et al.

Now, I know that there are more automated ways of producing coffee.., but the price.., I just couldn't justify spending a minimum of £260 on the cheapest entry level DeLonghi machine (like the ESAM 4200). So I went for this machine, with crossed fingers.

As suspected, the major niggle is that there is very little cup height room. I use a medium sized (two shot plus milk) cappuccino cup and that works perfectly well. The same can be said of the steamer wand, but I use a 600ml jug perfectly happily.

As a noob, the biggest advantage of using a more automated coffee maker (with grinder) is that you don't need to grind and tamper the beans yourself. But having looked on the net, I bought an Andrew James blade blender (which works perfectly well producing a nice fine grind as long as u use 4 time 5 second bursts of the motor) and an Andrew James 600ml stainless steel mug. I bought a tamper for £10 on ebay and use weighing scales to allow me to tamp the coffee using 30lbs pressure so I produced good creme from the grind.

And so, for £70 plus an additional £40 on the grinder, tamper, jug etc I have coffee that tastes like heaven.

I haven't noticed a huge delay in between producing the expresso and steam (just a few seconds), I preheat my capuccino cups with ordinary boiled water and produce delicious boiling hot cups of cappuccino or latte in 30 seconds, two in a minute (with two shots of expresso and 100 mls of skimmed milk.

The only problem is, my old favourite Nescafe now tastes like clay.., and I will just refuse to drink 'inferior' coffee produced by cafes and restaurants. And you can include Starbucks et al in that group. My coffee is definitely much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Machine!, 15 Jan 2012
Eleanor T (Manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
Received this as a gift from my boyfriend for Christmas after having my eye on it for a while, what a fantastic coffee machine! It is extremely easy to use and the controls are very self explanatory. The milk frother is very good, the machine heats up quickly, so it doesn't take too long to make an espresso or heat milk. It also has the option for a two-cup espresso attachment, which is nice. Drip tray and water reservoir are removable for easy cleaning. Overall an excellent item that makes great tasting, fresh coffee. Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice machine for great price, 6 Feb 2012
G. Merryweather (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
Having done a lot of research and read many reviews of expresso machines below £150 there seem to be very few models that don't have reliability issues. This was one I couldn't find many problems with and am very pleased so far with my purchase.

Build quality is good for the price (reduced to £79.99 at time of purchase) and produces a decent espresso with nice crema. It's reasonably quiet in operation once the initial priming is done, easy to use and to clean, the milk frother is good too and produces proper foamed milk quickly.

My only criticism would be that if you like your coffee strong you're looking at using the 2-cup attachment as the 1-cup one simply doesn't hold enough ground coffee.

Overall very pleased so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee machine., 30 Nov 2011
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
This is the second one of these I have bought. Bought the first one 6 years ago and it is still going strong. Bought the other one for upstairs. Both make superb coffee when using the right brand (name withheld but available on request) Easy to use, great value, great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars coffee machine, 30 Sep 2011
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
I've had this machine a couple of weeks and am very happy with its performance - Often making a single cup this is ideal as there's a one and a two cup coffee holder. The grandchildren love the frother as they can have frothed milk for their drinking chocolate - saves on cream! I use this daily as I prefer fresh to instant coffee and find it works as well as machines costing much more,

5.0 out of 5 stars DeLonghi EC220 by Mike Welford, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
This Espresso Coffee machine was recommended to me by a friend who is in the coffee business and I must say his opinion of the machine does not dissappoint. It makes a beautiful cup of coffee with plenty of crema for those who like "frothy coffee".

4.0 out of 5 stars De'Longhi EC220. CD pump espresso coffee machine, 22 Aug 2012
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
A good machine which I purchased at a very good price. This is my 2nd DeLonghi machine, the first one just made espresso with steam option for milk frothing and eventually broke after a descaling!! This machine uses standard fresh coffee (I use Taylors) and ESE pods, which are a nightmare to find in my local supermarket. In fact when asking at my local ASDA they didn't have a clue what I was asking for. Seems the only make I could find was Illy. I ended up buying them with a "ESE pod" search on Amazon from a company that sold a variety pack of 4 x 4 different blends. Not cheap but very easy and moreish.
Back to the machine - I did read others reviews regarding leakish of the water tank, so I leave mine in situ and refill it with a jug.I did find the milk frother being on the left of the machine a bit inconvenient for me (on my previous machine it was on the right), but guess it is just what I had got use to. The new machine heats very quickly and I use the 2 cup hopper for the coffee which I dispense into a small metal jug, which has been previously preheated with water only from the machine. I can then dispense the coffee into 2 mugs. I repeat this once more, sharing the coffee between the the mugs again, before heating and frothing the milk. 2 perfect cups of coffee, my friend has most of the milk and I have most of the froth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value For Money Altho A Little Disappointed, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
I dithered for months deciding which espresso machine to buy. I read all the reviews and whilst there were some negative ones, the majority were positive. The plus's are: it's very quick, you literally fill the tank, switch on and within a minute you're away. It's clean and easy to use. The coffee is hot enough. You're not tied into buying expensive pods. The negatives: you have to stand over it and stop the flow when your cup is full rather than it dispensing a measured quantity of liquid which I guess the more expensive machines would. If you like very strong coffee then it's not for you. My husband is an espresso drinker and I've bought the strongest most expensive coffee and he says it's "OK" and that's using a specific espresso size mug AND using the 2-cup filter - we never use the 1-cup as it's as weak as dishwater. I like coffee with milk and really love Cafe Nero's but this doesn't come anywhere near as strong unless you use a small mug. ( I always use No. 5 strength coffee). All in all though I like it but one day I'd like to think I could afford a better one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic Machine at an affordable price, 12 May 2013
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
was very excited about this, having tried the pod machines at work, I found them to taste artificial and bland. So i searched for a pump ground coffee machine for less than £100. This proved impossible, so discovered the espresso machines which turn out to work just as well.

This machine is small and compact, but looks smart and at home in the kitchen. I take the drip tray out to fit the regular sized mugs and fill the filter with 1 and half scoops of ground coffee, compress it lightly (very important) to allow it to fit in the coupling. Turn it on ( after letting it heat up) and fill your cup. I've used the steamer for froth and heat the milk but do this with a steel jug as plastic and glass just creates smelly, failing frothy mess. The Creme is thick and you can almost scoop it and the simplicity to use and clean this machine make it simply AWESOME. Read a few reviews about failings and other issues. Don't worry comes with a 2 year warranty.

De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD