5.0 out of 5 stars Same as the EC 152 but better looking
I have had a De'Longhi EC152 for about five years and had no trouble with it at all, but sadly it is now getting a little tired (maybe from over use as I am a pure coffee adict). The EC152 has had excellent reviews here on Amazon and was voted best in Which Magazine, that came on top of much more expensive machines.

So just to upmarket a bit, I have decided to...
Published on 12 July 2012 by Mr. G. Holt

2.0 out of 5 stars If you like your coffee strong do not buy this machine
Published 16 months ago by JT

5.0 out of 5 stars Same as the EC 152 but better looking, 12 July 2012
Mr. G. Holt "Amazon Customer" (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: De'Longhi EC220.CD Machine (Kitchen & Home)

So just to upmarket a bit, I have decided to go for this newer model, the De'Longhi EC220.CD. It is more or less identical on the control panel and has the same workings as the previous model but the outside appearance has been made to look a bit more modern and stylish, although it is 5 dearer here on Amazon than the present EC152, it is cheaper than anywhere else in the market place. So purchasing this model isn't going to make me bankrupt just yet. Looking at its stylish front, it looks like it has been made to fit a taller cup under the filter spout (but I may be wrong and won't know until it arrives) which many people seemed to have complained about with the previous EC152 model, although when making an expresso, you only need a small shot cup or glass anyway, so just pour this into you larger cup when making a Latte or Capuchino. Fingers crossed, if this machine performs as good the EC152 model, then I will be very happy bunny indeed.

It amazes me how many people find that the milk frother does'nt seem to froth the milk properly. It does when you know how to use it. It takes a bit of practice that's all, but once you get the hang of it, its a doddle, believe me, and you get hot frothy milk every time for your Latte's and Cappuchino's.

My old machine produced coffee just as good as any high street coffee shop and works out much cheaper too, and its nice to be able to make proper coffee at home. Reading the reviews so far on this model (EC220.CD), it seems to equal the 150 or so good reviews of its predecessor, except for the 20 or so negative reviews which you always get on whatever product review you see here on Amazon. Maybe there are a few faulty models that seem to escape quality control at the manufacturers, but there are always the whingers who are never happy with what ever they buy, even when they work perfectly, trouble is most of these people don't digest the instructions properly but thats life. If you are one of those unfortunate people to end up with a faulty machine though (and this does happen occasionally) then you can always get a replacement, you have consumer rights protection by law. But Amazon will gladly replace any faulty item post free if purchased directly from them, with no hassle, that's why I deal with Amazon a lot. So far I have only had to return one item in 15 years and got a replacement two days later. ANYWAY, go for this coffee maker if you want a good machine, better than most that cost three times the amount. I can assure you, you won't be dissapointed! The only criticism I have is the instruction manual, it is all in pictures with no mention that the machine will be very noisey whilst flushing through the system. So don't be alarmed if this happens and it will, all new coffee machines do this until the system is flushed through to get rid of the trapped air.

Edited 16/07/2012

My new De'Longhi EC220.CD Expresso Coffee Machine arrived this morning and it is even better than my older EC152 model, although the inside workings are identical. Just a word of caution before you start brewing your first cup of Expresso or Latte/Capuchino. Read or should I say follow the picture insructions in the user manual. Make sure you flush it through with two tank fulls of hot water before you start to make your first coffee. This is to rid the system of trapped air throughout the water pipes. It will make a very loud gurgling sound at first, so don't think that there is something wrong. It will take several minutes before water starts coming through but will soon get much quieter once the first tank has gone through it will settle down to less than the sound of a boiling kettle once the air has been expelled. (This loud noise is the trapped air being forced through the system and this will apply to all new coffee machines, so there is nothing wrong with yours, it just sounds awful whilst this is taking place) To catch the water whilst flushing, use a low plastic container and place it under the filter spout, if it gets full before the tank is empty, just switch off the machine, empty the container, then replace again. Once you have flushed through the machine, you are ready to start making your first coffee. Try not to keep removing the water tank to fill up. Fill it up with the tank in situ, otherwise in time, the rubber seal at the botton will start to leak after about twelve months. Fill it with a jug whilst attached to the machine, keep lifting it on and off everytime you refill it will eventually loosen the watertight seal

If you like your coffee strong, then use the double cup filter, as the single filter will only give you a weaker brew. If you are a Latte/Cappuchino lover, then the best receptical to froth your milk in, is a stainless steel 300ml jug for a single cup, or you can use a 600ml which will do two large Latte's. If you want to learn how to get a good froth, look at some of the YouTube videos on how to do this, there are lots of interesting tips on how to make coffee as well as Cappuchino Art, where you can learn how to make some stunning designs using the dark creama and the white froth from the milk on top of your Cappuchino's. Before you know it, you will be making coffee as good as any High St Barista, it is all so easy once you have mastered the technique. And you can make coffee with these budget priced machines, just as good as Buckstars, Oren or Atsoc can, with there state of the art machines which cost thousands of pounds, it's just that it takes a little longer and a bit of patience. Once you can froth milk properly, you can enjoy coffee, just like you can in the High St coffe bars. A milk thermometer that clips on the side of your jug will help you to get the temperature right and once you have got the feel of how warm the jug should be to the touch, you will be frothing your milk without one, it's all a mater of practice. Getting the milk to the right temperature is the art to successful coffee, too cold and it wont froth right, too hot and it will burn and taste burnt. ALWAYS wipe the milk frother spout, unscrew the plastic end piece and wash under a tap, empty the cake from the filter when you have finished using the machine, then replace the empty filter and flush a cup of hot water through the machine, so that it is ready to use again when you get the urge for another coffee. Keeping your machine parts clean and flushed through will ensure it will continue working for many many years. And try to descale the system at least every six months. You can buy De'Longhi descaling soulution here on Amazon. Just one more tip to make the perfect expresso with a good creama, dont tamp the coffee to hard before attaching the filter to your machine, you can judge this by trial and error, the empty cake should not be wet, but just firm enogh that it wont fall out when you tip it upside down, a gentle tap and it will fall out mostly in one piece. Once you get this right you will produce the perfect creama in your shot cup/glass. Practice makes perfect.

Happy Expressing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Machine!, 15 Jan 2012
Eleanor T (Manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: De'Longhi EC220.CD Machine (Kitchen & Home)
Received this as a gift from my boyfriend for Christmas after having my eye on it for a while, what a fantastic coffee machine! It is extremely easy to use and the controls are very self explanatory. The milk frother is very good, the machine heats up quickly, so it doesn't take too long to make an espresso or heat milk. It also has the option for a two-cup espresso attachment, which is nice. Drip tray and water reservoir are removable for easy cleaning. Overall an excellent item that makes great tasting, fresh coffee. Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice machine for great price, 6 Feb 2012
G. Merryweather (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: De'Longhi EC220.CD Machine (Kitchen & Home)
Having done a lot of research and read many reviews of expresso machines below 150 there seem to be very few models that don't have reliability issues. This was one I couldn't find many problems with and am very pleased so far with my purchase.

Build quality is good for the price (reduced to 79.99 at time of purchase) and produces a decent espresso with nice crema. It's reasonably quiet in operation once the initial priming is done, easy to use and to clean, the milk frother is good too and produces proper foamed milk quickly.

My only criticism would be that if you like your coffee strong you're looking at using the 2-cup attachment as the 1-cup one simply doesn't hold enough ground coffee.

Overall very pleased so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars DeLonghi EC220 by Mike Welford, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: De'Longhi EC220.CD Machine (Kitchen & Home)
This Espresso Coffee machine was recommended to me by a friend who is in the coffee business and I must say his opinion of the machine does not dissappoint. It makes a beautiful cup of coffee with plenty of crema for those who like "frothy coffee".

2.0 out of 5 stars If you like your coffee strong do not buy this machine, 6 April 2013
This review is from: De'Longhi EC220.CD Machine (Kitchen & Home)
Not a bad product for the price but it did not wow me. I like my coffee strong, something this machine fails to deliver, I try to put three shots of espresso to go anywhere near how I like my coffee but it still comes out a bit watery. The frother is so short that you will need to raise the machine to be able to use a 33cl frothing jug, and you will need to buy espresso shot glasses since average mugs will not fit. I am making the move to the world of coffee capsules machines, I tried a couple from different vendors and the coffee really rivals if not beats the high street coffee shops.

4.0 out of 5 stars De'Longhi EC220. CD pump espresso coffee machine, 22 Aug 2012
This review is from: De'Longhi EC220.CD Machine (Kitchen & Home)
A good machine which I purchased at a very good price. This is my 2nd DeLonghi machine, the first one just made espresso with steam option for milk frothing and eventually broke after a descaling!! This machine uses standard fresh coffee (I use Taylors) and ESE pods, which are a nightmare to find in my local supermarket. In fact when asking at my local ASDA they didn't have a clue what I was asking for. Seems the only make I could find was Illy. I ended up buying them with a "ESE pod" search on Amazon from a company that sold a variety pack of 4 x 4 different blends. Not cheap but very easy and moreish.
Back to the machine - I did read others reviews regarding leakish of the water tank, so I leave mine in situ and refill it with a jug.I did find the milk frother being on the left of the machine a bit inconvenient for me (on my previous machine it was on the right), but guess it is just what I had got use to. The new machine heats very quickly and I use the 2 cup hopper for the coffee which I dispense into a small metal jug, which has been previously preheated with water only from the machine. I can then dispense the coffee into 2 mugs. I repeat this once more, sharing the coffee between the the mugs again, before heating and frothing the milk. 2 perfect cups of coffee, my friend has most of the milk and I have most of the froth.

5.0 out of 5 stars coffee machine, 30 Sep 2011
This review is from: De'Longhi EC220.CD Machine (Kitchen & Home)
I've had this machine a couple of weeks and am very happy with its performance - Often making a single cup this is ideal as there's a one and a two cup coffee holder. The grandchildren love the frother as they can have frothed milk for their drinking chocolate - saves on cream! I use this daily as I prefer fresh to instant coffee and find it works as well as machines costing much more,

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee machine., 30 Nov 2011
This review is from: De'Longhi EC220.CD Machine (Kitchen & Home)
This is the second one of these I have bought. Bought the first one 6 years ago and it is still going strong. Bought the other one for upstairs. Both make superb coffee when using the right brand (name withheld but available on request) Easy to use, great value, great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee Machine, 17 Jan 2012
Raf (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: De'Longhi EC220.CD Machine (Kitchen & Home)
I love this. Easy to use. Solid, quality parts and you can use pods or normal coffee. Would be nice if you could just press a button and it would give you a defined amount of water rather than you having to turn it off, but a small point. Milk frother is great. Am very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overall device. Good value for money, 30 Nov 2012
This review is from: De'Longhi EC220.CD Machine (Kitchen & Home)
The machine has nice build. It is simple but really does all it states.
Tank water is easy to access. The machine is easy to move. (I use the latte feature alot and with big glasses. So I work directly on the machine.).
Pressure is enough and does do a creamy coffee.

I have tried 2 other devices before this one. More expensive ones and all with problems... With this one.. no issues what so ever... so far.

De'Longhi EC220.CD Machine