5.0 out of 5 stars Same as the EC 152 but better looking
I have had a De'Longhi EC152 for about five years and had no trouble with it at all, but sadly it is now getting a little tired (maybe from over use as I am a pure coffee adict). The EC152 has had excellent reviews here on Amazon and was voted best in Which Magazine, that came on top of much more expensive machines.

So just to upmarket a bit, I have decided to...
Published on 12 July 2012 by GeoffH

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed
I bought this espresso machine as a replacement for a much loved Krups Vivo 880 espresso machine, which broke down after years of constant use. With the Krups I could get a thick cup of espresso with a really complex taste that nearly matched a well made espresso on a commercial machine. The Delongi looks very good, the controls are easy to use and, although not cheap,...
Published on 13 April 2013 by S. Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Same as the EC 152 but better looking, 12 July 2012
GeoffH "Amazon Customer" (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)

So just to upmarket a bit, I have decided to go for this newer model, the De'Longhi EC220.CD. It is more or less identical on the control panel and has the same workings as the previous model but the outside appearance has been made to look a bit more modern and stylish, although it is £5 dearer here on Amazon than the present EC152, it is cheaper than anywhere else in the market place. So purchasing this model isn't going to make me bankrupt just yet. Looking at its stylish front, it looks like it has been made to fit a taller cup under the filter spout (but I may be wrong and won't know until it arrives) which many people seemed to have complained about with the previous EC152 model, although when making an expresso, you only need a small shot cup or glass anyway, so just pour this into you larger cup when making a Latte or Capuchino. Fingers crossed, if this machine performs as good the EC152 model, then I will be very happy bunny indeed.

It amazes me how many people find that the milk frother does'nt seem to froth the milk properly. It does when you know how to use it. It takes a bit of practice that's all, but once you get the hang of it, its a doddle, believe me, and you get hot frothy milk every time for your Latte's and Cappuchino's.

My old machine produced coffee just as good as any high street coffee shop and works out much cheaper too, and its nice to be able to make proper coffee at home. Reading the reviews so far on this model (EC220.CD), it seems to equal the 150 or so good reviews of its predecessor, except for the 20 or so negative reviews which you always get on whatever product review you see here on Amazon. Maybe there are a few faulty models that seem to escape quality control at the manufacturers, but there are always the whingers who are never happy with what ever they buy, even when they work perfectly, trouble is most of these people don't digest the instructions properly but thats life. If you are one of those unfortunate people to end up with a faulty machine though (and this does happen occasionally) then you can always get a replacement, you have consumer rights protection by law. But Amazon will gladly replace any faulty item post free if purchased directly from them, with no hassle, that's why I deal with Amazon a lot. So far I have only had to return one item in 15 years and got a replacement two days later. ANYWAY, go for this coffee maker if you want a good machine, better than most that cost three times the amount. I can assure you, you won't be dissapointed! The only criticism I have is the instruction manual, it is all in pictures with no mention that the machine will be very noisey whilst flushing through the system. So don't be alarmed if this happens and it will, all new coffee machines do this until the system is flushed through to get rid of the trapped air.

Edited 16/07/2012

My new De'Longhi EC220.CD Expresso Coffee Machine arrived this morning and it is even better than my older EC152 model, although the inside workings are identical. Just a word of caution before you start brewing your first cup of Expresso or Latte/Capuchino. Read or should I say follow the picture insructions in the user manual. Make sure you flush it through with two tank fulls of hot water before you start to make your first coffee. This is to rid the system of trapped air throughout the water pipes. It will make a very loud gurgling sound at first, so don't think that there is something wrong. It will take several minutes before water starts coming through but will soon get much quieter once the first tank has gone through it will settle down to less than the sound of a boiling kettle once the air has been expelled. (This loud noise is the trapped air being forced through the system and this will apply to all new coffee machines, so there is nothing wrong with yours, it just sounds awful whilst this is taking place) To catch the water whilst flushing, use a low plastic container and place it under the filter spout, if it gets full before the tank is empty, just switch off the machine, empty the container, then replace again. Once you have flushed through the machine, you are ready to start making your first coffee. Try not to keep removing the water tank to fill up. Fill it up with the tank in situ, otherwise in time, the rubber seal at the botton will start to leak after about twelve months. Fill it with a jug whilst attached to the machine, keep lifting it on and off everytime you refill it will eventually loosen the watertight seal

If you like your coffee strong, then use the double cup filter, as the single filter will only give you a weaker brew. If you are a Latte/Cappuchino lover, then the best receptical to froth your milk in, is a stainless steel 300ml jug for a single cup, or you can use a 600ml which will do two large Latte's. If you want to learn how to get a good froth, look at some of the YouTube videos on how to do this, there are lots of interesting tips on how to make coffee as well as Cappuchino Art, where you can learn how to make some stunning designs using the dark creama and the white froth from the milk on top of your Cappuchino's. Before you know it, you will be making coffee as good as any High St Barista, it is all so easy once you have mastered the technique. And you can make coffee with these budget priced machines, just as good as Buckstars, Oren or Atsoc can, with there state of the art machines which cost thousands of pounds, it's just that it takes a little longer and a bit of patience. Once you can froth milk properly, you can enjoy coffee, just like you can in the High St coffe bars. A milk thermometer that clips on the side of your jug will help you to get the temperature right and once you have got the feel of how warm the jug should be to the touch, you will be frothing your milk without one, it's all a mater of practice. Getting the milk to the right temperature is the art to successful coffee, too cold and it wont froth right, too hot and it will burn and taste burnt. ALWAYS wipe the milk frother spout, unscrew the plastic end piece and wash under a tap, empty the cake from the filter when you have finished using the machine, then replace the empty filter and flush a cup of hot water through the machine, so that it is ready to use again when you get the urge for another coffee. Keeping your machine parts clean and flushed through will ensure it will continue working for many many years. And try to descale the system at least every six months. You can buy De'Longhi descaling soulution here on Amazon. Just one more tip to make the perfect expresso with a good creama, dont tamp the coffee to hard before attaching the filter to your machine, you can judge this by trial and error, the empty cake should not be wet, but just firm enogh that it wont fall out when you tip it upside down, a gentle tap and it will fall out mostly in one piece. Once you get this right you will produce the perfect creama in your shot cup/glass. Practice makes perfect.

Happy Expressing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but produces Wonderful coffee.., manually, 26 April 2013
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
I am a complete noob to making coffee from Beans. I have had a couple of percolators in the past but hated the taste of the coffee produced. But, having had this coffee pump machine for two whole days.., all I can say is wow! The taste, even using cheaper 'own brand' beans is a whole different (and better) experience to the coffee produced by Starbucks et al.

Now, I know that there are more automated ways of producing coffee.., but the price.., I just couldn't justify spending a minimum of £260 on the cheapest entry level DeLonghi machine (like the ESAM 4200). So I went for this machine, with crossed fingers.

As suspected, the major niggle is that there is very little cup height room. I use a medium sized (two shot plus milk) cappuccino cup and that works perfectly well. The same can be said of the steamer wand, but I use a 600ml jug perfectly happily.

As a noob, the biggest advantage of using a more automated coffee maker (with grinder) is that you don't need to grind and tamper the beans yourself. But having looked on the net, I bought an Andrew James blade blender (which works perfectly well producing a nice fine grind as long as u use 4 time 5 second bursts of the motor) and an Andrew James 600ml stainless steel mug. I bought a tamper for £10 on ebay and use weighing scales to allow me to tamp the coffee using 30lbs pressure so I produced good creme from the grind.

And so, for £70 plus an additional £40 on the grinder, tamper, jug etc I have coffee that tastes like heaven.

I haven't noticed a huge delay in between producing the expresso and steam (just a few seconds), I preheat my capuccino cups with ordinary boiled water and produce delicious boiling hot cups of cappuccino or latte in 30 seconds, two in a minute (with two shots of expresso and 100 mls of skimmed milk.

The only problem is, my old favourite Nescafe now tastes like clay.., and I will just refuse to drink 'inferior' coffee produced by cafes and restaurants. And you can include Starbucks et al in that group. My coffee is definitely much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Machine!, 15 Jan. 2012
Eleanor T (Manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
Received this as a gift from my boyfriend for Christmas after having my eye on it for a while, what a fantastic coffee machine! It is extremely easy to use and the controls are very self explanatory. The milk frother is very good, the machine heats up quickly, so it doesn't take too long to make an espresso or heat milk. It also has the option for a two-cup espresso attachment, which is nice. Drip tray and water reservoir are removable for easy cleaning. Overall an excellent item that makes great tasting, fresh coffee. Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice machine for great price, 6 Feb. 2012
G. Merryweather (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
Having done a lot of research and read many reviews of expresso machines below £150 there seem to be very few models that don't have reliability issues. This was one I couldn't find many problems with and am very pleased so far with my purchase.

Build quality is good for the price (reduced to £79.99 at time of purchase) and produces a decent espresso with nice crema. It's reasonably quiet in operation once the initial priming is done, easy to use and to clean, the milk frother is good too and produces proper foamed milk quickly.

My only criticism would be that if you like your coffee strong you're looking at using the 2-cup attachment as the 1-cup one simply doesn't hold enough ground coffee.

Overall very pleased so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I could imagine, 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
OK - it's not a professional "barista" coffee machine that can be found in coffee bars, pubs, restaurants and the like throughout the world. BUT it doesn't cost £2,000 or even £200 and for a very reasonable £64.99 including delivery this turns out to be an excellent purchase.

A further (small) investment in crockery, frothing jug etc. may be necessary (depending on whether you've had a machine before - we did not) as well as an appropriate type of Espresso-ground coffee - we've so far tried only the Lavazza variety from Tesco.

Some of the reviews suggest the coffee can be less than hot - certainly not true for the espresso. For cappuccino, by following the instructions about pre-warming the cup that is also at just the right temperature (the very same you would expect in a high street coffee shop).

The other aspect that may have put some people off is the suggestion that you have to wait for the machine to heat up (from a cold start in the morning, for example). How about less than one minute and ready to go? By the time you've put the grounds in the holder, the machine will be ready.

My wife and I are extremely pleased with this machine - and whilst we've only had it for a few days we've certainly not found any aspects to be negative about. Happy (REAL) coffee to all who purchase.

FOUR MONTHS ON - and I can assure you that this machine is fabulous! It is used several times every day. I have not had an instant coffee at home since we got this machine. It is wonderful and I can only recommend it to anyone who likes proper espresso or cappucino coffee. A cappucino from start to finish (including emptying the grounds and cleaning the machine) is just 5 minutes. Brilliant!

OVER 12 MONTHS ON - this machine is still working perfectly. Do not be put off by any of the negative reviews! We make four or five cups a day between us and, considering the price, it is an amazing machine. Whether you choose this machine or a much more expensive one, the process of heating the water, putting the grounds in the holder, frothing the milk (should you choose a cappuccino) and cleaning down the bits afterwards will be virtually the same. In fact, we are so impressed we bought a "spare" one of these EC-220 machines (which is carefully stored in our loft) for the day this one finally gives up (be that one year, five years or ten years from now).

4.0 out of 5 stars De'Longhi EC220. CD pump espresso coffee machine, 22 Aug. 2012
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
A good machine which I purchased at a very good price. This is my 2nd DeLonghi machine, the first one just made espresso with steam option for milk frothing and eventually broke after a descaling!! This machine uses standard fresh coffee (I use Taylors) and ESE pods, which are a nightmare to find in my local supermarket. In fact when asking at my local ASDA they didn't have a clue what I was asking for. Seems the only make I could find was Illy. I ended up buying them with a "ESE pod" search on Amazon from a company that sold a variety pack of 4 x 4 different blends. Not cheap but very easy and moreish.
Back to the machine - I did read others reviews regarding leakish of the water tank, so I leave mine in situ and refill it with a jug.I did find the milk frother being on the left of the machine a bit inconvenient for me (on my previous machine it was on the right), but guess it is just what I had got use to. The new machine heats very quickly and I use the 2 cup hopper for the coffee which I dispense into a small metal jug, which has been previously preheated with water only from the machine. I can then dispense the coffee into 2 mugs. I repeat this once more, sharing the coffee between the the mugs again, before heating and frothing the milk. 2 perfect cups of coffee, my friend has most of the milk and I have most of the froth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee machine., 30 Nov. 2011
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
This is the second one of these I have bought. Bought the first one 6 years ago and it is still going strong. Bought the other one for upstairs. Both make superb coffee when using the right brand (name withheld but available on request) Easy to use, great value, great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Performs as well as my £600 machine..., 8 Dec. 2013
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this Delongh Motivo machine for £90 as a "put me on" while my £600 Italian machine was being fixed. Yes, I like my espresso.

I bought a Delonghi Dragon oil filled radiator many years ago and that was excellent, so I thought I'd give their coffee machines a try.

There is a lot of snobbery in the coffee world and I was sure this £90 machine would not be as good as the £600 machine - I was wrong.

In terms of the quality of the coffee, I just wonder why I would spend the extra £510 on the other machine.

Sure, the £600 machine has lovely hand formed polished surfaces. It has a brass boiler and a cup warmer on top and it is a work of art but, in my opinion, the quality of the coffee that this Delonghi machine makes is just as good. The Delonghi does a fabulous job of extracting the flavours of the coffee and produces a high quality rich crema.

It is fun just trying different types of coffee, playing around with different tamping pressures when you compress the coffee into the filter basket and seeing how the Delonghi handles the extraction of the flavours. It does a truly superb job.

I really appreciate good design, and design is at the forefront of this machine. This machine embodies simple but genius design concepts.

For example:
The removable plastic drip tray that tells you when it is full because the red plastic indicator floats to the top and pokes through a hole in the tray
The built in tamper attachment on the side of the machine
The removable water reservoir with an easy to remove lid

So, it may have plastic where the other machine has beautiful hand formed and polished aluminium, the portafilter may feel a little plastic and cheap compared to my £600 machine (which looks and feels every inch professional) but for the quality of the coffee - which is why you buy an espresso machine in the first place - it is absolutely first class and I would defy anyone to tell the difference in a blind taste test as to which machine had produced the coffee.

The drip tray is simple to remove, the machine is easy to clean, the coffee it makes is fabulous. What more could you want?

I can't recommend this machine highly enough. Superb job Delonghi - 5 out of 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fabulous, 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
This was bought for me as a Christmas present and it is all I have used for coffee since.

The machine is very easy to use, with very clear illustrative instructions inside.
There are two adapters to put the ground coffee in. One adapter produces one espresso and the other produces two espressos. For one espresso you fill the smaller adapter with one spoon (supplied coffee spoon) of ground coffee and for a double espresso you fill the larger adapter with two spoons of ground coffee.
The machine heats the water to the perfect temperature for coffee and an indicator turns green when the water is hot enough. You can also use the machine to dispense hot water for topping up your cup of coffee.

The frothing wand is really easy to use, just put it in a jug of milk and turn the valve at the top and it steams the coffee to heat it up and then the milk stretches and froths. This is great for cappuccinos and hot chocolates.

Getting the perfect coffee for you depends mainly on the ground coffee you use. I have tried many different brands but my personal favourite is Taylors of Harrogate. Their coffee has won many favourite coffee polls and they offer a lot of brands. You can actually buy a set which comes with small samples of all their blends so you can choose your favourite. My favourite blend is their organic blend.
Other brands I would recommend would be Costa, Coffee Direct, Illy and Lavazza.

5.0 out of 5 stars coffee machine, 30 Sept. 2011
This review is from: De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD (Kitchen & Home)
I've had this machine a couple of weeks and am very happy with its performance - Often making a single cup this is ideal as there's a one and a two cup coffee holder. The grandchildren love the frother as they can have frothed milk for their drinking chocolate - saves on cream! I use this daily as I prefer fresh to instant coffee and find it works as well as machines costing much more,

De'Longhi Coffee Machine EC220.CD