on 10 January 2011
ML Hamilton writes a tale replete with sympathetic characters caught up in epic conflict against the evil besetting his world.

The beginning is somewhat slow as great care is taken to establish the setting and people. But this approach pays off and is necessary once the action begins. We are introduced and become familiarized with an land uneasily populated by three different races and cultures: Humans, Stravads and Orahim.

It falls to the crown prince Kiameron of DiNolFol to challenge the evil Gava and his hordes of metallic Gaviston, merciless automatons who destroy everything in their path. Assisted by a stalwart group of companions and one ally whose motives and past are somehow linked with his, Kai (Kiameron) goes forth on a quest that will involve sacrifices from the most unlikely members of his band.

This was an enjoyable read and one well worth the time.
on 28 June 2012
This book just goes to show the power of a good cover, what hooked me was the giant cobra, the skulls and a barbarian about to pilfer a giant emerald. Got to love that. The book itself reminds me of the old Fighting Fantasy books that I used to read as a teenager. In those books you would take on the role of the barbarian, wizard, professional thief or what-not, and then it would say:- do you choose the magic knife turn to page 38; or do you take the magic shield, turn to page 59. In the same way, Emerald puts the reader firmly in the shoes (or in this case probably furry boots) and lets us experience the adventure first hand. For all those other authors out there who think that fantasy is about beating us about the head with Shakespearean language and unintelligible plots, I they take a leaf from Hamilton's book and write great straight-forward fantasy. Not so much a diamond in the rough, more a emerald in the rough.
on 19 March 2012
Emerald is one of those books that I really wish I had written. Reminiscent of the great classical tales of good versus evil, it is one of those slow burners that will make you think for days after you have closed the hefty pages. A world which is inhabited by a cast of characters ranging from the heroic to the repulsive, which alludes to the fantastical setting of the great fantasy stories (Lord of the Rings comes to mind), but yet is so allegorically earthly becomes the battleground for a war to end all wars. The hero, Kai, is a carefully constructed and multi-layered hero, with a three dimensional feel, which is so lacking in lesser fantasy novels. As the narrative pulls you relentlessly in, you find yourself living each page with Kai, and relating to him like you would a close friend or family member. Although not my usual genre, and coming in at a arm-aching 596 pages, I was quickly hooked. Part of this maybe that although Emerald cries out fantasy from the cover, to the names, there is really a darn good, twisting and turning, and - at the climax shocking - thriller in there. In fact there is something for everyone. If you simply like reading good books, then this is one for you. Highly recommended. A must read.
on 17 August 2012
I initially downloaded book 1 as a 'I'll try it' piece as I had run out of my usual authors to read. I didn't have high expectations given the very brief description but was very pleasantly surprised. It draws you to each character and makes you care about what happens to them. The plot is well thought out, well written and keeps you guessing until the end. Having read book 1 I downloaded the rest of the series and I definately wasn't disappointed. Am now waiting for book 4.... not sure I can stand the wait!
on 21 July 2011
Initially, I wasn't too sure about this book, but I downloaded the free sample and was hooked roughly halfway down the second page! I was amazed with the scope of this book. It was thoroughly enjoyable with characters that you really get to know and love. The book is also really long which is great as I was reading it and thinking - oh I really don't want this book to be over yet! But it is re-readable - I am now halfway through the third time reading it and I still love it. The imagination of this author has no bounds - a whole world has been created, with different species and languages and customs. It was truly an amazing read and I can't believe I only got it for 86p!
Definately recommend this amazing novel!
on 11 August 2013
I am glad that I bought this book, it is well written and the story really captures the imagination! I have bought the other books in the series and look forward to reading them all! The only problem I find is that quite often there is a little square box at the end of a word, I presume it is where there should be a commer?
on 29 June 2012
I have only read the sample so far because I have a lot of reading to catch up on but it seems well written and a reasonable story line.