An Idiot Abroad - Series 1 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:£4.74+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 10 December 2010
Excellent show, I wont be buying the DVD seeing as I watched all the episodes on Sky and have recorded in the planner, perhaps if they added worthwhile extras to the DVD I would have made the sale also, so note to Ricky, Carl and co, dont be lazy.

However if you have not see these on the TV I recommend that you buy, it is good viewing, very funny, and Karl is a complete idiot, but a genius idiot. Dont buy this if you actually want to learn about places around the world, or the wonders. Its certainly not an Attenborough travel program, just basically how an idiot gets on when he is on foreign soil.

I finally managed to introduce my family to Karl through this series, I of course know him from all the podcasts and things he does with Karl, and I can safely say all my family warmed to Karl, thought he was very funny.

I look for to season 2 of this, I am sure they will make one. Also I heard they will be doing a new set of podcasts, in which Karl answers questions put to him by the public, thats interesting so looking forward to all this.

Buy this today, spend an evening watching it all, you will enjoy ;)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
There are so many reviews so I will just say this is a very entertaining and funny set of travel programmes.
Some of the places Karl is sent to look really rough to me and it can be a bit uncomfortable to watch but always informative and entertaining. The thing that holds it all together is the very funny comments from Karl.
Great little series and I would easily watch it again. Also I would easily watch a second series.
This is a good DVD set of eight programmes and brief extras.
on 15 September 2012
I was a little bit skeptical on getting this Blu ray disc as sometimes I just can't get British jokes but this one really makes me laugh hysterically (and I am only on the first two episodes China and India) !!!

Karl really will leave you laughing from the moment he steps down the plane till the end of each episode. All that happens are basically a natural way of how Karl sees the world/country that he is in. A real no holds bar thingy. I can't imagine a better guy from bringing us a different look and style of a travelling documentary (if even you can call it a travelling documentary) !!!

This Blu ray comes highly recommended (for whom that appreciate a different view of funny life moments by a man named Karl Pilkington)
on 17 September 2010
If you are a fan of Karl Pilkington then this is definatly your cup of tea.

more quotes along the lines of "the chinese dont age well"

absolute classic.

Ignore the person that gave this one star and said karl pilkingtons comments are borderline racism. If you know what Karl is about then you will know this is someone that hasnt listened to the podcasts etc making a snap judgement on what hes seen.

"This series is all about watching a man called Karl Pilkington, who doesn't like travelling, visit places he neither enjoys nor understands, and listening to him provide a running commentary on the fact he's not enjoying it while Ricky Gervais cackles down the end of a phone. Yes, that's literally it."

well yeh... that exactly what it is and thats exactly what pilkington fans expect. u fool!

"Pilkington's act is not a convincing one. While the show rests on the notion that he is naturally stupid (which is pitched as some kind of comedy credential)"

Naturally stupid is an understantment, hes hilariously stupid and any semi-intellegent person will be on the floor laughing because of hes lack of knowlege on, apparantly, everything.

dont be a fool like the legend himself and buy this!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 September 2010
Im with the guy in the last review! He is a genius! Watched the first episode last next after waiting all week for it and I have never laughed that much at something for a long time! The whole hour I had tears in my eyes! The man is brilliant! Have ordered the book already and cant not wait till the next episode!

This is a must buy, funniest thing you will see on TV! Ever!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 November 2010
Firstly, let me state that this review is (as all on Amazon should be) about the DVD release of the show, and not the show itself. The show itself was utterly brilliant. Karl; has impeccable comic timing and while you can't help but feel sorry for him at times when he's genuinely not enjoying the enviable task of visiting the seven modern wonders of the world, it is ultimately his displeasure at these trips that makes it so funny. If most of the show was him lounging around in a good mood, seeing how long he can dribble for before running out, it wouldn't be as entertaining.

The show itself gets 5/5 stars without a doubt. So then why is the DVD only rated at 3/5? They really missed a big opportunity to capitalise on the fantastic possibilities with the DVD extras. Sure the extra scenes are good, and it's nice that they included the very funny preview, but - given the quality of extras that usually appear on a DVD with Ricky Gervais' name on it - these are a big let down. The main one - and in truth, the one that could have made the difference between this being a 3 star and a 5 star review - is the surprising lack of any commentaries from Ricky, Steve and Karl. Considering their podcasting and radio history it seemed like a natural choice for a DVD extra (that, in truth, probably would have been the favourite feature for a lot of fans if executed as well as you'd expect) and would have served as an extra 6 hours of podcasts, basically. Given the wealth of stories that didn't appear on-screen (as seen in Karls' diary release), this would have been an excellent way to fill in some of those gaps, get some more whinging out of Karl and, more importantly, get a little bit more of the trio in there.

There isn't really much need for a documentary since the show itself is a documentary into Karl's travels and we saw most of the important stuff on-screen anyway. Maybe a little extra showing how the camera crew lived on this trips to contrast and compare would have been nice but wouldn't have been a deal breaker like the commentary should have been.

Overall, a fantastic series in DVD form without the extras it deserved. Still well recommended, but with a thought for what could have been,
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 August 2011
It doesn't get better than Karl Pilkington when it comes to natural comedy.

The juxtaposition of having a grumpy middle aged manc visiting the wonders of the world could be dull. However, it is far from that!!

From the moment he steps off the plane his bubble is burst and he is exposed to extreme ways of human life which are far removed from his own. This is where you get the analytical comedy as Karl makes up in his own head reasons why people do things and live the way they do!

.... it also shows you another side to the wonders of the world:

Karl on the Pyramids: "they don't show you this in the brochure do they ... dirty old nappy wizzing through the air"
on 30 August 2011
...hands down. Entertainment epitomised. This Hero of a man comes up with some of the greatest one-liners, comments and ideas in the history of humanity. Fair play to him for putting up with Messrs Gervais and Merchant for their largely cruel organisation of his adventures which verges on dark comedy at times. Although it's hilarious to see Karl flipping out occasionally you have to sympathise. There's five minutes of wonderful, wonderful comedy in the Mexico Episode that's worth the £4.99 on its own. Haven't laughed this much in a long time and can't think of seeing anything funnier than this any time soon. Pure genius from Merchant, Gervais and Pilkington.
on 16 November 2010
Whilst this is a fantastic show, if you already have these Sky+'d, then there is little point in buying this Bluray. For Karls first DVD outing (not including the cartoon), I think most fans were hoping for something truely special from this set. A commentary would have been amazing, outtakes would have been great, extended versions of the conversations between the three would have been nice.

However, what we get here is a couple of very short deleted scenes (which have all been shown before on Youtube, Rickys blog, and the Sky website) and a photo gallery (which lasts a couple of minutes). And thats it!

So if you already have these saved, I'd save your cash. A big shame indeed, as this could have been the must buy comedy dvd/bluray of the year :(
on 15 December 2010
I haven't laughed so much for a long time!
I was unsure on the first program whether it was just a big wind up and very very good acting but you just have to laugh, Karl Pilkington's take on things around him is just so fresh and funny and on some levels so very much what you'd probably think yourself if you weren't hung up on being politically correct or worried about appearing world wise.
There is a degree of simplicity that I would love to have in my life!
I rarely buy series but I got this one because I know that next time I watch it I'll laugh just as much as I did first time round.