• XX

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 November 2009
Well I'm 51 and still appreciate all genres of modern music, and I really like this album. I first saw and heard The XX on 'Later with Jools Holland' and their atmospheric music just leapt out of the TV at me. Next day, after checking out more of their tracks on You Tube I bought the album. I really like this music for its innovative and fresh feel. Yes okay it's simple and laid back (brilliant music to relax by), but it's a completely new and different sound, and that's the genius of it. I hope their recent tour supporting Florence and The Machine gives them the extra exposure they richly deserve.
55 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Scatty and Gritz (the cubs) brought this one home
from school and have been playing nothing else over
the past week. They've dumped their hoodies (it was
red bandanas before that!) and reverted to basic black.
They also seem to be reading Schopenhauer again
- their Mother's influence not mine I hasten to add.
I seem to have found something to like in this music too.

The xx are a somewhat po-faced but very talented
little combo from South London. This debut collection
of 11 compositions is relentlessly and uncompromisingly
single-minded in its sustained intensity.
It's hard to imagine them sitting around together
drinking cider and watching Father Ted re-runs.
This is much more Jacques Brel and absinthe territory !

Seriousness becomes them.

The combined vocal contributions of Ms Croft and
Mr Sim create a charmingly laconic ambience.
There is a total absence of frenzy. In fact nothing
much happens throughout in the nicest possible way.

'Infinity' is a splendid composition. The closest
thing to a climax in the entire project.
The spirit of Hank Marvin might well be smiling in the wings.

'Night Time' is a marvelously morose little ditty
and for my money its starkly economical, pared-down,
minimalism is the album's gloomy highlight.

Jamie Smith's beats and Baria Qureshi's well-judged
keyboard interventions are entirely complementary to
the centrally positioned Croft/Sim double-act.

Concluding track 'Stars' made me remember acutely
what it was like to be young and intense and delirious
with dark and serious dreams.

Recommended.
1818 comments|121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 August 2010
Now this is a rare gem. As opposed to alot of the mainstream generic sound we listen to; which even though I do love and appreciate. It does get a little lifeless and just plain bland. This is so refreshing as it requires you to engage with it just like you would with a good book or film. The bold elusivness of the case alone just encourages you to interprete it as you will. Every song sounds individual and flowed like individual stories to me. The album was sort of like a journey that you embark on. Sort of shaped to your narrative. Its powerful and atmospheric. Like "Fantasy" in particular is just deep, dark and foreboding. Ultimatley I just feel the album is an intense emotionally charged ride but at the same time equally; you can just kick back to it and relax. I would recommended it to anyone who is looking for a unique experience.
on 6 May 2016
I had been listening to these songs on Amazon music player, and decided to buy the whole album. There's something great about listening to a complete album, start to finish, including tracks that don't immediately grab you, often they can be the ones you fall in love over time.
I don't think every track on this album is great, but I do love most of them! There's a real intimate quality to the songs, reflective, thoughtful, and you can't help but slow down your breathing and drink it all in. Definitely something to put on at the end of a party, or a long day, feet up with a couple of friends, good conversation or something more :)
on 3 December 2009
I've been listening to this album since Rob da Bank kept banging on about how good they were. They're definitely one of the more alluring sounds I've heard in 2009 - kind of like a stripped back Lamb with a bit of Hot Chip in there, maybe a smidge of Bat for Lashes too? All quite minimal, breathless, lingering - its low-fi, shoe-gaze music, appropriate for sultry late night liaisons.
on 3 September 2009
This album is perfect commuter escapism. There are only about one or two albums a year which I can just listen to over and over again and this is my 2009 record. This is just one of those albums which just sounds better through headphones on the move. I wouldn't go as far as saying that this album can be grouped in the chill out genre but it is fantastically peaceful.

This time last year I was addicted to Burial's 'Untrue' and I can honestly say that if you enjoyed that record for its ability to make you lose yourself in its minimal and haunting sound, you'll love 'xx'. Interestingly, this young group met at the same London school which was attended by Hot Chip, Four Tet and Burial himself. The female and male vocalist harmonise and complement each other superbly on every track but, for me, stand outs are 'VCR', 'Basic Space' and the recent iTunes single of the week, 'Crystalised'. The smooth female vocals make me imagine a beautiful love child of Bjork and Zero 7's Sia Furler (you can decide whether you think that is a good combination or not!)The bassist creates a ghostly but melodic rhythm which features throughout which reminds me of Massive Attack's 'Danny The Dog'. What really impresses me is the way the group have maintained a constant and original sound without feeling the need to throw in a few tracks to change the mood. Some may dismiss this album as monotonous but the whole thing works for them and it flows as if it could be a film score much like Burial's 'Untrue'.

If you are looking for a refreshing change to the chart topping indie groups and wish to support genuine young British talent you should BUY this album. You will not be disappointed.
on 5 August 2010
until i heard recently the fact that this band has been nominated for the Mercury Award Prize and upon hearing the mesmerising song islands on BBC Radio One i would never have heard of The XX, and my oh my that would have been an utter disappointment if i hadn't!

There is a reason why this album has been thought of highly by critics, the public and ranked in pole position of many polls last year, this is a purely emotional driven pop record with some mesmerising synthy acoustics and indie style pop electronic music that really is setting itself apart from what is the mainstream. Instead it conveys many deep meaningful situations within each of the songs and due to this...each one is indeed a reflection of experimental pop music and British Music as a whole at it's very best!

thankfully, The XX are now getting recognition by the public and the album has been certified Gold with sales in excess of 100,000 copies distributed across the UK. I am hoping that this band meets the same success as that of Florence & The Machine also did in 2009 as this is a band that are so very cutting edge and ultimately very bittersweet in their melodic turns it makes for an absolute MUST LISTEN!

each song has a very gentle electronica style about it which moves the listener in with the rhythms of each tune and the lyrics come so very sharp and deep you can place yourselves in those situations conveyed in the lyrics.

The songs are also very blissful in a variety of ways which makes it ideal for the relaxation of Summer and tht imagery of summer nightime with open skies and stars and ocean waves on coastlines are just created in my mind with each song that it really brings everything to life in your mind and...well...ears!

there is a reason why this has garnered universal acclaim on Metacritic! this album is a genuine MUST hear it is just so pure and rich and brilliant words can literally not express all that i feel for this band and i wish them success in the future...and by darn i hop they win that Mercury Prize! MASTERPIECE HIT of 2010!
on 18 August 2010
I had heard so much about the XX but not yet given the music a listen, being a pessimist I tend to expect that the rave reviews are from the too cool for school kids and being 30 now tends to mean I don't get it all any more :D... then I heard Crystalised on the radio and got hooked!! Took the plunge and bought the album from amazon as it was about [...] when i got it so no risk there! Took about 3 or so listens which is about what a great album should take, 1 then its too easy (mainstream pop) and you'll get bored easily, it will be on the pile in no time. This is one you need to hear late at night on a drive, collapsed out on your bed in the dark in some good headphones so you get every whispered lyric, hear every bass note that throbs, every tingling guitar note. Seriously from start to finish its amazing and I don't think I have heard a more perfect album in maybe 5 years. Can't recommend it enough, actually don't want to go into more detail than that. Music is about discovering an album in different scenarios. Sometimes you can hear an album one day when you are in the wrong mood and you put it aside and 4 months or a year later you find it again and put it on and its the most perfect album you've ever heard. Don't wait that long, stick it on, but make sure you hear it in it's entirety and then again and again..

References are obvious with new order, the cure and some eighties electronic bands that you never thought you would hear sound so fresh today. Which I always loved, but don't be put off if you don't like those, if you liked crystalised by the XX you will love the rest of the album. P.S try XX's mix of you've got the love (florence version) it's amazing, stripped back and gorgeous! But i can't find it on amazon sadly. Thank you XX :)
on 17 August 2009
Sublime first album from this London quartet, an atmospheric and chilled out journey through their own Bassy yet melodic world. This self produced album is very much their own, picking up influences from plenty of genres including trip-hop, R&B, and Dubstep but always keeping it original, with beautiful interplay between the male/female lead vocals. Emerging from the same south London comprehensive as the likes of Four tet, Burial, hot chip and the Maccabees, The XX are none of these, while often reflecting some of the best bits of them all.

A breath of fresh air...
on 29 April 2010
I thought variety was supposed to be the spice of life? Not to this London lot. I bought this album after hearing their chilled out dark, indie-pop on some late night TV show and thought I had seen the future of guitar music.
On buying the album I was a little disappointed to find the album to be very one-dimensional. 'Intro' and 'VCR' start things well but as song after song, sung in the same dull monotone, continue things begin to blur into one. By the time we get to single 'Basic Space' I was feeling suicidal to be honest! There are some good points - the beats are sublime and well produced as are the exquisite basslines.

I have listened to this record maybe 15 times now and am still as bored. Once you get past the NME hype you realise that this is just yet more dark, dreary, guitar ploddery posing itself as intelligent mood music. Listen and see what I mean - every song is at the same slow tempo pretty much, both singers ranges seem to encompass about 4 notes and the songwriting skills need plenty more development. Here's hoping they find it because the dynamic of the band is there. More variety next time please !!