VINE VOICEon 14 February 2011
What a fantastic book. Such good characters, a lovely little town, spookiness, mystery - and a budding romance? I was hooked from the first page, and as soon as I'd finished this one, I downloaded the second Mary O'Reilly mystery. I really can't fault this book at all - I so hope there will be many more in the series.
on 30 March 2012
I must agree with most of the other reviews, I could not put Loose Ends down and read it in
one sitting. As soon as I had finished it I downloaded the other five Mary O'Reilly books
and am now waiting for book Seven which can not come quick enough!
You will not be disappointed by this book it is a real page turner which captivates you from
the first page!
on 19 November 2010
A fantastic read, Loose Ends hits the ground running and doesn't let up. Filled with suspense and mystery from the opening page, Loose Ends kept me on the edge of my seat chapter after chapter.

Mary O'Reilly was a cop on the Chicago Police Force until she died. After that, a whole lot of things changed. Seeing ghosts will do that to a person. After Mary comes back from her near-death experience, she is able to communicate with spirits. The ghosts somehow sense this and are drawn to her, wanting her to solve their problems. Chicago was way too big and way too old with way too many ghosts, so Mary picked up and moved to the little town of Freeport and started doing freelance private investigations.

After relocating, Mary is shocked when she gets a call from the wife of a local politician. Years before, a girl turned up dead - drowned in a pool while the newly-elected state senator hosted his victory party. Now the Senator and his wife are seeing the dead girl's ghost. Somebody has secrets to guard, and they don't mind killing to keep their skeletons in the closet where they belong. Meanwhile, Bradley Alden, the Police Chief in Freeport, thinks Mary is a nut. He's still determined to do his duty and keep Mary safe, though that's not an easy job once she starts poking around.

Funny and witty, Mary is a great character. She's sweet, but she's not a push-over. While she's investigating the Senator's ghost issues, she also discovers that several little girls went missing during the same time the Senator was campaigning. Determined to find out what happened to them, Mary stubbornly keeps digging, despite the danger she finds herself in.

Terri Reid does a fantastic job describing scenes that will give you a chill. At several points in the book, I literally had goose-bumps. She would then deftly shine the light of humor and release the tension with a well-timed laugh. The relationship between Mary and Bradley developed naturally, and suspense stayed high throughout the novel.

I only have a couple of reservations. First, I would have liked to have seen a bit more romance. Mary and Bradley definitely have sparks going, but Bradley is so emotionally unavailable it's not funny. Maybe in future books in the series, his issues will get resolved and they'll give things a try. They've got great chemistry and would really make a good couple. Another issue I had was with the number of editorial blemishes in the book. I really hope that future editions resolve this issue.

Regardless, Loose Ends is a great choice for Urban Fantasy fans. There wasn't enough romance to bump the novel into the Paranormal Romance category, but it's still an engaging story. Great characters, great mystery, and a sexy police chief with a cute butt and a great smile - what's not to love?
on 4 January 2011
I never review book, ever, this is my first. And for good reason; this was a fantastic book. I read it travelling and juggled my two cases with my kindle just so I could continue reading throughout the plane, train and two metros. Really gripping, the mystery was actually very clever, unlike many other books out there that are either too simple, too convoluted to the point of ridiculous (when you stop caring) or rely on a piece of information that itn't actually divulged and would be impossible for the reader to even try to work out. Good characters and setting as well. On of the best books I've read in ages, I will surely be following this author from now on. If any of her books even come close to this one it will be worth it.
on 10 January 2012
The characters were well built, the plot was excellent. There was nothing wrong with the grammatical construction or the formatting.
There was a great deal of humor in this book and I loved all the characters in it - the living and the dead. The mains were very well constructed and stayed true to form. The secondarys were just as well made and did what they needed to.
Thinking back on it, the plot was VERY well done. I didn't realize it as I was reading it, as the characters stand out to me more than the plot, but it was woven subtlely and ballanced very well with the characters.
I would recommend this book to anyone.
on 30 August 2014
Whilst I accept that some folk have insights more than others, this book was too sweet and sugary for me. Also there was no explanation as to how these gifts were discovered or developed. Once more, I'll stick with Phil Rickman, who I highly recommend.
on 13 November 2015
I was almost ready to read others in the series until I found out how many there were. Had it been a short series of perhaps three or so I would have been happy to follow on. As it is there is no story line that is going to make me want to read thirteen books about the same hero and heroine. The other side of this is that because the author has to try and build the romance, this first book has virtually none. As a result it is a good paranormal crime novel with a tiny hint of romance rather than being a romantic crime novel thus it loses a star in my review.
on 25 July 2015
Read from July 22 to 24, 2015
Kindle Edition

It only missed out on a 5 star review because there are a few hiccups that should have been picked up when being proof-read but weren't.

I loved our main character - Mary O'Reilly, she was intelligent, self-reliant, witty but had a big heart. Her friends, Rosie and Stanley, were just as well written and I fell in love with them too!

This story has a few genres weaving through; the main one being paranormal (I see ghosts, I help some of them move on to a better place by solving their mystery), romance (lovely gently relationship building with hunky new police Chief, Bradley Alden) and detective (who's the child serial killer? who's the murderer? can Mary catch the psycho stalker before he kills her?).
Without any spoilers, I place the detective genre last because it's less about who Mary needs to put behind bars but how she gets the evidence that can put them in prison.

All-in-all I really enjoyed this book; it was easy to read and I didn't get lost with the twists & turns on the plot, I felt that the pace was good, there was a good balance of humour and tension, the plot and relationship arcs progressed in a believable way and I liked the way that while Mary O'Reilly's cases were solved by the end of this book other background story arcs were left "to be continued".

There are 14 more books listed at the back in the Mary O'Reilly Paranormal Mystery Series and after reading this book, I will be buying book 2 " Good Tidings".
on 4 August 2015
This story follows Mary, a former police officer who has now moved to a new town and started her own private investigation practise – in the paranormal. She is thrown into the story very quickly when the town mayor’s wife approaches her to help with an old unresolved case of her husband’s assistant who had drowned. This case connects with another at around the same time involving five little girls who have disappeared. With a new police chief in town Mary has to convince him she is being haunted by the paranormal, stalked by a killer and that she isn’t insane – making for a fun combo.
The characters were well cast with a real mix of light-hearted paranormal activity. I did think the love story with the new police chief could have been a bit more interesting but as this is the first in the series, perhaps the author is leaving room for this to progress. I think some of the other side characters who help Mary in this novel could have some really interesting stories later to tell later in the series.
Overall, I found this novel an excellent read and would recommend it to fans of the mystery genre. The novel was interesting, unusual and very quick and easy to read. Start of a fun series.
on 26 June 2015
Although this is the first book in the series, I had already read 3 others before I found this
one. I give them all 3.5 stars. Mary can see and talk to ghosts and helps them to move on
to the next world. Some of the ghosts help her in her hunt for murderers. They are not
frightening - more like friends!

There is a possible love interest in the new Police Chief, Bradley, who starts off thinking Mary
is looney. He ends up changing his opinion.

I loved the quirky characters of Mary's two friends, who being older (and nosy) try to "help" Mary
as well as match-make. I laughed out loud about the inflatable doll!

This book was an easy read with no sex, bad language or gory details of the murders. Maybe not
as gritty as some readers would like, but it made a light-hearted change.