Format: DVD|Change

on 11 April 2016
The singing is wonderful, but the set is very much underlit and dark. I was disappointed. Angela Gheorghiu as a blond was a surprise. As I said vocally the performance was very good, but visually it left much to be desired because it was so very dark. For my liking there are also, as usual with the ROH, too many close up shots, rather than showing the action on the whole stage. I have seen part of the Jonas Kaufmann Faust which in my view is better.
on 24 August 2013
I bought this because I have a fairly poor recording of it from the TV from some time ago and the production is absolutely fantastic both musically and dramatically. All the solo performances are, in my view, faultless with the possible exception of a few 'swoops' by Mr Alagna, but I can forgive that.

So, the prime reason for my purchase was to get a decent quality recording, however, as this is an NTSC recording, my DVD inexpensive player struggles a bit and the sound and picture are a bit out of sync which is irritating to put it mildly. I have tried it on a friend's quite expensive player and it's fine, but I don't have enough cash to buy a quite expensive player! Given that it is a recording from the Royal Opera House in London, England, where PAL rules the video encoding world, why on earth is it not available in a PAL version. Hence 4 stars not five.
on 24 March 2014
This is a good version of the opera. It benefits much from Bryn Terfyl's wonderful portrayal of mephistopheles, the best one I've ever heard. The finale is powerful and emotive as it should be. Gheorghiu's acting, particularly at the end is particularly good.
on 5 November 2015
Pappano conducts a wonderful performance, Alagna and Gheorghiu are excellent, Terfel is a light voiced but good Mefistofele, the roles of Valentin and Siebel are very well sung, the only poor singing is the small part of Martha. The production is ridiculous but this is the general rule nowadays.
on 13 August 2013
Excellent wonderful cast Bryn Roberto & Angela the singing second to none really enjoyed it & will watch it over & over
on 2 October 2014
This performance can't be bettered for both the singing and acting of all the cast. Apart from their glorious voices, I particularly liked the physical transformation of Roberto Alagna's Faust as a shaky old man into his vigorous youthful character, and Bryn Terfel's portrayal of a Mephistofeles, disdainful of all his human puppets, was brilliant.
on 7 December 2012
This opera was new to me and I enjoyed it very much. The principals are world class singers. I intend to listen to it again and again.
on 22 April 2013
I am one of those opera addicts that hate transportation to modern times what composer and librettist set to take place in an historic period. This version of Faust is not very offensive in that regard, for it does not bring the action over to the XXI Century. But why dress it with tales, morning coats and bowler hats instead of the original XVI Century dresses? This said, the performance is perfect in every respect: imaginative scene production, excellent acting and top quality singing. I was however surprised to notice a slight lack of synchronisation between mouth and sound on Marguerite's "Jewels aria", although I did not detect the same fault the first part "Il était un roi de Thulé".
on 15 April 2014
with the three top performers its a dream ticket production.....saw the latest covent garden trio last w/e with bryn tervil again playing the devil but this combo of talent beats anything
on 13 January 2016
Fantastic production, benchmark in fact, but I was disappointed that despite being described as 'All Regions' my copy is in fact 'Region 1' and only playable on multi-region sets.