4.0 out of 5 stars Bay of Blood
Published on 16 Jun 2005 by Stoker

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak audio imho (kino usa release)
Published 12 months ago by Matthew D. Phillips

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Bay of Blood, 16 Jun 2005
A truly inspired piece of cinema from the mighty Mario Bava. This film set the standards for Halloween, Friday 13th and pretty much every horror film after. Bay of Blood is the original, ultimate stalk and slasher experience. Check it out!Also, which is funny for a film like this, the plot is fantastic and actually took me 2 views to work out what was happening. Great fun if you love horror. And the cinematography is beautiful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good film with a good transfer., 20 Sep 2012
M. Crossman (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Bay of Blood [Blu-ray] [DVD] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
You can't please all the people all the time, or so the saying goes.
For the gentleman that has sold his blu ray of this film and kept his DVD...I suggest he goes to Specsavers.

Before I make my remarks, please allow me to quantify them.
I have never seen "Bay Of Blood" at the cinema. I have seen it on VHS (both PAL and NTSC) and have seen it via the Image DVD and the Bava region one boxset.
In my opinion, this presentation is by far the best I have ever seen on any home theatre format. It knocks all the other presentations into a cocked hat.
This is for the English version. The Italian version on this set (both are included) is sadly lacking and perhaps that is where the vitriol for this release comes from.
Personally I'm delighted to have a high definition, uncut release at all. And at this price, with the usual Arrow packaging (poster, reversible sleeves etc...)and wealth of extras then personally I have no problem recommending this set.
However, if your standards are so high then you will only settle for a complete perfect set then I suggest you wait and hope that someone eventually releases one. And if they do then I'll be happy to double dip for this fine film.

5.0 out of 5 stars The origins of the body-count slasher?, 17 Dec 2010
This review is from: A Bay of Blood [Blu-ray] [DVD] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
To my knowledge there is no other movie before (and for many years after, until Friday the 13nth) totalling 13 murders. I am not giving anything away, the number is on the box so you will notice it! Several early 80s slasher movies borrowed this kind of narrative, others, Friday the 13nth, chunked out a whole scene.

What sets this one apart from the others, is that there is no "maniac" running loose. This makes a huge difference in characterisation. And of course much more compelling. The plot and the motive are more in line with some classic narratives and early gialli, rather than the obsessive themes of Argento, but the very graphic gore makes the difference.

Arrow's release is great value for it's price. You get an English HD version and the Italian non-HD version. There is a difference of opinion regarding the color of the English version, not being as saturated as to instantly strike as a Bava movie, but since you also get the Italian version which allegedly is more authentic, 4 reversible covers, two of which are spectacular (personally i do not like the one shown, but that's my opinion) i am guessing it will be the European release to get for quite a while. An Italian company has also released this in the past, but they don't do Blu-ray yet.

A long special feature regarding the writer was very interesting, not so much for his work (LOL!), but as to the insider info on 3 prominent directors (Bava, Argento, Fulci). Also, subtitles are included for both movies and the features, which was a true fan service for those who are non-native English speakers. Thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just when you thought it was safe., 8 Dec 2002
DM Webster "arakis2002" (Norfolk) - See all my reviews
This is a 'fun' horror film. Bava is on of my favourite horror directors and he doesn't fail to please here. He does excellent set pieces and the murders are graphic and original. This is often seen as a precursor to the stalk and slash films of the late seventies but is less moralistic and refuses to offer psychology as an excuse for the violence. I'm not even going to try to analyse this film as everyone is pretty unpleasant and deserves everything they get. This is a horror film for horror film's sake and Bava offers no apology. The scenes which stick with me are the opening hanging of the old woman in the wheel chair, the deaths of the couple by sharp spike coming up through the bed, the swimming woman who bumps into a decomposing corpse and the hilarious ending...just when you thought it was safe! Great fun, buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak audio imho (kino usa release), 18 Sep 2013
Matthew D. Phillips "zax93" (Outer Limits) - See all my reviews
The picture quality on the blu ray is pretty decent if a little subdued in terms of contrast and saturation for my tastes however it probably represents the look of the film pretty accurately. I have a problem with the audio on this release though, it sounds as though it has been passed through a hiss / noise removal filter that results in a kind of digital warbling / chorus effect at times - I would prefer hiss and pops to that processed type of sound. However most reviews i've read don't mention this so unless you are fussy about this kind of thing you may not notice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mario Bava's 70's Italian carnage classic, 14 Oct 2006
Philip Yates (Merseyside U.K) - See all my reviews
Better known as 'A Twitch of the Death Nerve' this 1971 Italian slaughterfest from the great Mario Bava is the precursor of Friday 13th and it's numerous ilk. Leaving aside the slightly fuzzy plot involving the various characters attempts to secure the prime real estate of the title, the various gorrotings, impalings and mutilations are handled with much gusto. Though I suspect the 80 min version veiwed has been trimmed down it still remains a well paced tongue in cheek slice of Italian horror.

4.0 out of 5 stars "..CLASSIC EARLY SLASHER..", 1 Jun 2014
S. Drury "SDX-800" (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Bay of Blood [Blu-ray] [DVD] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
For the early 70's this film looks amazing on Blu-ray, arrow have done a top notch job transfer as usual, great early slasher film with a twisted murder guess who it is plot, there's plenty of cool death scenes that are really well done with good effects, some full female nudity which is always the way with most early slashers, not one of the best horror/thrillers ever but still a worthy arrow release for the collection, the audio commentary is very informative with plenty of good insight into the film and stars etc. the audio is a little hard in places you may sit with the remote at times turning the TV up and down. you get a booklet of info too and better reversible sleeve art.

2.0 out of 5 stars VIDEO 2000, 21 Jun 2013
The film itself is rather good but the video 2000 copy states its 84 mins it also states this on the DVD cover,Having watched it the running time was 1.20.28 just over 80 mins,Every death scene has been cut.Wish now i had purchased the arrow copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good film, although suffers video problem, 17 Feb 2013
Mr. N. M. Hornby "nhornby" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Bay of Blood [Blu-ray] [DVD] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Bought this last week and got round to watching it at 1am this morning. I enjoyed the film but it did suffer a major problem. The video would judder heavily at random points throughout the movie although I have heard many people have not has this fault and it is just apparent on the early pressings. Another minor niggle I had was with the dirt on the print, there is some majorly noticeable on the opening scene and a bit later on in the film there is a large spec of dirt on the bottom of the screen. I wouldn't usually comment as I am quite forgiving towards damage, dirt etc on early films but if I comment on in my opinion it then it is something that is VERY noticeable. All in all though I thought the picture quality was decent and sometimes it excelled(especially at the beginning where we first she the Countess) and sometimes it just seemed a bit flat. All in all I give the video quality 3/5(I would give this a 3.5/5 if it weren't for the faults on my copy

Due to me watching it early hours and there being others in the house I kept the volume fairly low. When I watched the film I had no problem with the Audio quality and everything seemed clear but I don't own a dedicated speaker system so I can't judge on the quality through other outputs. I give the audio a 4/5

The extra's seemed pretty decent with interviews(one with Joe Dante of gremlins fame), radio spots and trailers(featuring commentary by Edgar Wright) and a few other bits, one entitled shooting a spaghetti classic which sounds like a behind the scenes/retrospect perhaps. Packaging by Arrow was great and although I wasn't overly keen on some of the artwork I can appreciate others will like it, it also comes with a small booklet and reversible poster. Hats off to Arrow I give 3.5/5 for packaging.

Overall I enjoyed this film and considering it is now over years old stands the test of time and is obviously the precursor and inspiration for the Friday the 13th franchise that came a decade later. I give this Arrow release an overall 3.5

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bay of Blood, 14 Oct 2010
A. J. Harrison (UK) - See all my reviews
A wealthy woman is murdered by her husband but before he can leave the scene of the crime he to is murdered. So the remaining people left to gain from the dead womans will all start been killed off one by one.

This is proberly Mario Bava's most famous film and it isn't without its exciting moments but they are few and far between. I found myself alittle bored at times and I was also confused to as there seemed to be alot going on and people been killed for no reason, so I did lose track of things from time to time but by the end I had figured it all out.

Theres no lead actor or actress which made the film more exciting in the sense that any of the people could be the murderer. The directing by Bava is good and the majority of the death scenes are very gory and alot more impressive than that of Friday the 13th and Halloween. The main problem I had with the film was the ridiculous ending.

Overall this is a decent film and a must see for fans of slasher movies.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Bay of Blood [Blu-ray] [DVD] [Region Free]
A Bay of Blood [Blu-ray] [DVD] [Region Free] by Mario Bava (Blu-ray - 2010)
6.24