Space 1999 - The Complete First Series [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:£26.90+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

i have now bought Space 1999 the complete first series on blu ray and it is a vast improvement on the carlton dvds which said were digitally remastered but they were'nt. the episodes look really good on blu ray even though on the eagle craft you can see the wires. the uniforms of the alphans are the colour they should be. if someone has a red sleeve it is a red sleeve. even the orange spacesuits look good as well. i like that you have the option to watch the episodes in 5.1 surround sound or the original mono track. i'm also glad network have decided to keep with the 4:3 ratio this series doesn't need to be in widescreen anyway. i watched every episode in it's 4:3 ratio even though i have an option on the blu ray player to cut the left and right hand sides and make the picture widescreen. overall i am really pleased with the blu ray set of Space 1999. hope series 2 comes out on blu ray. if they can remaster The Metamorph (first episode of series 2) into HD then surely Network can remaster the rest of the series.Space 1999 - The Complete First Series [Blu-ray]
on 3 November 2010
Having received my copy direct from Network last week, I've had an opportunity to view the first 6 episodes and superlatives doesn't really do justice to the sheer quality of the restoration. Like The Prisoner, Network have pulled out all the stops and it shows. The most important lesson Network have learned is to pay attention to the fans hence the proper 4/3 aspect ratio. (Freemantle take note on this point for your dire World at War reframing). I can't recommend it enough. I'm hoping that Season 2 gets the same excellent treatment. Considering the amount of ITC products that were shot on 35mm and 16mm, can we look forward to future HD gems?
on 8 March 2013
(Apologies in advance for the long post. Some quick background; though not deaf, I am hearing impaired due to an auto accident when I was a child. As such, I can hear okay, but not always understand what people are saying (due to the combination of hearing damage and tinnitus). Watching TV is an exercise in absolute frustration - unless I have subtitles.)

I live in the USA; for years, those of us who wanted to buy SPACE:1999 -- or, indeed, any British series, really -- only had one choice: A&E Home Video. For those of you who are unaware, A&E has no love for the hearing impaired. I'll sum it up this way: the bottom line response I received from A&E, after several years of letters and group complaints, was that (a) it was too expensive to add subtitles (or captions, back when CC mattered) and (b) they weren't required to, so they weren't going to do it.

When the full series was re-released -- that is, not the Series Mega-Pack that A&E released -- I had high hopes that I'd finally be able to watch and enjoy the series again; surely a modern release would include subtitles. Bottom line here: the UK Region 2 DVDs included subtitles; the US Region 1 DVDs did not.

I then noted the blu-ray release. Still A&E; I already knew the answer but here it is summed up in one reviewer's comments: "Strange though it may seem A&E elected not to include SDH captions... Let's hope that A&E realizes the error of their ways and corrects this by adding closed captioning because i for one would appreciate it." Don't hold your breath, friend.

I figured, then, to forget it. I wasn't going to watch the series again unless it showed up on broadcast TV here in the States, where captioning is basically required.

Someone on a forum I frequent mentioned that Amazon UK sold a lot of region-free Blu-ray discs. I sought out a few sets (including the UK release Harry Potter collection (yay, PHILOSOPHER'S Stone), and Battlestar GALACTICA) and found the SPACE:1999 UK release set. No mention of it being region-free, but it did confirm subtitles. I ordered it on a chance and decided that, if it was Region 2, I would pony up the extra money and pay the "hearing impairment tax" and buy a region-free BD player.

I got the set after two or three weeks (takes a long time to ship Royal Mail to USPS). With anticipation, I fired up my PlayStation 3 (which has turned out to be a first-rate BD player; big bonus is that, since it does regular system software updates, I have never had an issue playing any Blu-ray disc, like some of my friends with stand-alone players have). Disc in; waiting... waiting... and BOOM, we have the menu screen!

I was elated. I know it's silly to get excited over such a thing, but I was about to take a great trip down memory lane (with my kids, who watched the set with me over the following month), AND, since it had English Subtitles, I could enjoy it as well.

So a very big thank you to Network Studio for putting together such a great set, for going the extra mile and including SDH, and for making it viewable by this hearing-impaired American who wishes companies here gave a damn.

(I would also like to add that, should Network be gracious enough to give the same region-free SDH treatment to Space:1999 Series 2, I am ready with credit card in hand.)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As a teenager living in Northern France I would watch this series dubbed in French in 1975. Soon my father installed an aerial on the roof of our little house so that we might receive the TV programmes from our nearby neighbour, Belgium. Belgium broadcasted both in French and Flemish, so every wednesday at 6pm I coud watch season one and two of Space 1999 in English and subtitled in Flemish. This made me learn the English language faster than my schoolmates.
Later as a student I spent time in Britain and I had the opportunity to visit in London late "Comet Miniatures" on their opening day. Gerry Anderson himself was signing the merchandising people were buying. As a poor student I could afford nothing but two postcards I wanted him to sign for me. While doing so, I dared tell my idol: "Thank you so much Mr Anderson for making me dream as a child". He looked at me with a smile, he stopped signing and he invited me to step aside and we had a private chat. He told me that was the best compliment about his work he had ever heard.
This boxset pays tribute to the best series ever. It is just a pity that the only language available is English. French people would have enjoyed it too and so would the British BluRay economy too.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 June 2011
At first when I read that yet ANOTHER release of season one of Space: 1999 would take place I was immediately hesitant since it would be the third time on disc and although it would be a BluRay release this time, how much better could the quality of the picture and sound be from the previous releases, and would it really be worth my hard-earned money to buy it one more time? Yes it would and as for the quality quite a bit I might add!
What was sharp before is super-sharp now. So crisp and clear in picture quality it almost hurts your eyes. As a fan it's fun to nitpick and now it's possible to detect wires of the models, see the faces of stuntdoubles quite easily and better scrutinize Keith Wilson's beautiful sets and designs. Suddenly you can see where the sets ends and the background paintings begins.
There are a few technical aspects which has been improved upon: the full ratio of the filmstock is now visible which actually makes it possible to sometimes catch a glimpse outside the sets themselves if you look closely to the sides of the picture. Of course it was never the producers intentions that we should see so much that we shouldn't be able to but I will say this: the overall production quality still holds water considering that we're watching a tv series over 35 years old!
Another great aspect of this release is that the running time of each episode is now at the proper 52 minutes it originally was shot in. In previous releases the episodes clocked in at 48 minutes and as fans probably already know the longer running time was due to preventing rolling bars to be seen on the b/w tv screens on the moonbase which became visible when shot with 24 frames per minute. At 25 frames per minute the bars disappeared. This made the episodes too long for conventional timeslots on tv (with commercials and all) so the episodes were 'modified' to fit into the timeslots thereby preventing the episodes to be cut (although that happened frequently anyway!). Not only are the actors' voices now slightly more deep, the acting also seems more considering and thoughtful thereby ending once and for all the old criticism that the actors appeared 'wooden'. No doubt the sped up version of the series is to blame of this.
As for the extras a special mention must be made of the stills galleries on each disc. Never in my life have I seen so many stills as extra material. There are literally hundreds of them and many never seen before.
The producers of this boxset has really outdone themselves to make this the ultimate release and makes me hope that season two will see a similar release in a forseeable future.
on 16 January 2013
The picture and sound quality is 'Out-Of-This-World'....no pun intended - LOL! If you thought the DVD version was good, then the Blu-ray will blow you away. I hope more of Gerry Anderson's show will be transformed into HD/Blu-ray.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a brilliant item, was thrilled when I found it on Amazon at such a fantastic price. The picture is so clear that it looks like it was shot yesterday, the sound is absolutely amazing also considering the age of the show. The remastering effort that has gone into bringing Space 1999 to blu ray is a real labour of love. The extras alone are worth the price paid ! Highly recommend this for sci fi fans everywhere.
on 23 November 2012
Amazing in hd, considering it nearly 40 years old and made for television. Very well remastered. Found extras interesting too especially the modern ones reminiscing.
Defo worth getting if you are a fan
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Look, I'm giving it full stars as I loved this show as a kid. Thought it wouldn't stand up today & look dated, but how wrong was I? The HD transfer is nothing sort of spectacular, the extras are excellent, the included booklet gives you all the info & history of the show & when you watch the BluRays, you can see how influential the show actually was.

At today's prices, the whole 24 episode series would cost in the region of £33 Million pounds, so you can understand why there were only two series!! It looks & feels like every episode is a mini film, but each episode was shot on 35mm film so that's maybe why. Great special guests like Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee etc appear, & the general storylines are very inspiring. One thing is, this was on in the early 70's on a Saturday morning for kids, & some of the scenes & storylines are, quite frankly, definitely not PG rated & in no way would some of them be aired at that time nowadays. Especially not for kids to watch.

In a nutshell, this is a great buy, & if you want to take a trip back in time to a day when TV was inventive & was willing to take chances, then Space 1999 is for you. Sure there are visible mistakes in some episodes but that is what makes this show so legendary, & also so loved in cult fan base community circles.

A reboot has been in development hell for a few years now called Space 2099 (with non of the original cast members), but it seems that as yet, no one wants to buy the idea even though there is fan demand for it. All the designs have been done & the imagery completed, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this being green-lit anytime soon. Now a film version....that would be another idea!
on 2 November 2010
I've just received this today, so I've only watch so far 1/4 of the first episode.

The image is simply glorious : original format, no noise anywhere, extremely clear details even in effects scenes. Everything seems pristine and gorgeous, just like in The Prisoner blu-ray.
You can easily zoom in to fill your 16/9 screen and it still looks like exceptionnally good HD. It is simply a dream come true.

I'll update this review as soon as possible.