This is absolutely 1st class. The picture and sound quality will astonish you! The work that Network have done in terms of restoration and remastering (both on this and on the previous DVD release) is amazing!

SPACE:1999 remains one of the most controversial science fiction/fantasy series ever created... & I love it!

I can only hope that Network...
Published on 18 Jan 2011 by Steven J M Foster

1.0 out of 5 stars WHY?
WHY? when I clicked on what I had called up from the menu, "Space 1999 Season 2 Blu-Ray" is there information & reviews about season 1.
Yes I bought Season 1 ages ago on Blu-Ray & a fabulous job was done & I have no complaints about it, & still love watching it.
So can anybody tell me if Season 2 of "Space 1999" will be released on Blu-Ray & when?
Why the 1...
Published on 8 Feb 2012 by Rockin' T.C.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Gerry & Sylvia Anderson's SUPREME Science Fiction Odyssey - NOW ON BLU RAY, 18 Jan 2011
This review is from: Space 1999 - The Complete First Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

I can only hope that Network decide to release Year 2 and take the same amount of care over the restoration process that they have with Year 1 (you never know, we might even get to own "Message From Moonbase Alpha" - the definitive ending to the Alphan's long journey - & very moving it is too).

Buy this set, the presentation is lavish and the series itself contains some of the most beautiful, thought provoking & out and out horrific episodes of the series. Highlights include: "Breakaway" (surely the most involving, stunning TV Series pilot ever filmed?), "Another Time, Another Place", "The Guardian of Piri", "Collision Cource", "End of Eternity" (memorable for Peter Bowles of "To The Manor Born" playing a psychotic, immortal who delights in "the exquisite forces of pain and suffering!" and the sequence where Mike Baxter "kills" John Koenig by bludgeoning him to death with a metal bi-plane - not for the faint hearted!) "War Games" and the mind bogglingly scary and atmospheric "Dragon's Domain".

Even today, this is ground-breaking television on every level as the writers and actors go against every expectation and break every rule to create a series that truly stands on it's own.

SPECIAL FEATURES OF NOTE: Several but the massively expanded "These Episodes" Documentary is worth the price of the Blu Ray set alone.

SPACE: 1999 remains Gerry & Sylvia Anderson's supreme Science Fiction Odyssey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative, 4 Nov 2010
Patrick Gleeson (Limerick Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space 1999 - The Complete First Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have to echo the comments of the previous reviewers here. Network have to be congratulated on this release. The HD transfer is exceptional: pristine with no artefacts on either the master or effects shots. I was sceptical that any worthwhile improvement would be seen over Network's exceptional DVD release a few years back. Fear not - the HD transfer originally used for that DVD release finds new life here. One example is the nuclear explosion as seen from the Eagle craft - superb. The original 4:3 ratio is retained I'm delighted to say, which puts into perspective the ridiculous decision by ITV to crop the series for 16:9 broadcast during their initial testing of ITV HD. The only minor disappiontment I have is that the audio was not upgraded from the lossy DTS used in the DVD reissue, and not lossless audio.
All the extra material from the DVD release is included along with additional material such as HD image galleries and a first time HD transfer of a second series episode 'The Metamorph'.
A reprint of the extensive booklet (replacing the two smaller ones on the DVD set) details the genesis of the series, background information and an article on the HD restoration. The episode synopses appear to be missing from this reprint.
The Blu Ray menus are clear and user friendly, reminiscent of the computer screen on Moonbase Alpha. The screen even declares 'Human Decision Required' when choosing options from the menu.
N.B. On the outer slipcase I received it was marked 'Limited Edition No. 1691' There are 1999 limited edition slipcase covers with different pictures. The standard releases will appear without slipcases.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like looking through a window.., 19 Dec 2010
This review is from: Space 1999 - The Complete First Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The quality of the Blu ray edition is simply stunning. It's like looking through a window at the place and time of filming. The wonderful moonbase sets and general production values still convince but in some respects it hasn't aged well. The series could have achieved a similar level of success that Star Trek had if they would had slightly better actors in some of the secondary roles. There was little chemistry between them. The show was enough of a success in the USA to commission another series but along came different sets, too many unexplained cast and costume changes - it bore little resemblance to series one and flopped. More subtle changes could have produced a winner. One or two cast changes along with an injection of more humour and subtle changes to 'humanize' the characters could have produced a massive hit.

This edition has behind the scenes photos of all the episodes(most of which I've never seen before) some new documentaries and many of the extras of the 2005 remastered network edition. The first episode of series two is included in HD.

There is a campaign to reissue Space 1999 with modern special effects and is code named Space 2099. Google it.

One negative point about this blu ray release is the menu music. It's truly dreadful - droning, haunting, impending doom noise. Why did they do that? Turn the sound down if you need to.

All in all, great stuff if your a fan of the show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun - Region Free - and it has Subtitles!, 8 Mar 2013
Ralph Fontcuberta (Little Rock, AR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space 1999 - The Complete First Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
(Apologies in advance for the long post. Some quick background; though not deaf, I am hearing impaired due to an auto accident when I was a child. As such, I can hear okay, but not always understand what people are saying (due to the combination of hearing damage and tinnitus). Watching TV is an exercise in absolute frustration - unless I have subtitles.)

I live in the USA; for years, those of us who wanted to buy SPACE:1999 -- or, indeed, any British series, really -- only had one choice: A&E Home Video. For those of you who are unaware, A&E has no love for the hearing impaired. I'll sum it up this way: the bottom line response I received from A&E, after several years of letters and group complaints, was that (a) it was too expensive to add subtitles (or captions, back when CC mattered) and (b) they weren't required to, so they weren't going to do it.

When the full series was re-released -- that is, not the Series Mega-Pack that A&E released -- I had high hopes that I'd finally be able to watch and enjoy the series again; surely a modern release would include subtitles. Bottom line here: the UK Region 2 DVDs included subtitles; the US Region 1 DVDs did not.

I then noted the blu-ray release. Still A&E; I already knew the answer but here it is summed up in one reviewer's comments: "Strange though it may seem A&E elected not to include SDH captions... Let's hope that A&E realizes the error of their ways and corrects this by adding closed captioning because i for one would appreciate it." Don't hold your breath, friend.

I figured, then, to forget it. I wasn't going to watch the series again unless it showed up on broadcast TV here in the States, where captioning is basically required.

Someone on a forum I frequent mentioned that Amazon UK sold a lot of region-free Blu-ray discs. I sought out a few sets (including the UK release Harry Potter collection (yay, PHILOSOPHER'S Stone), and Battlestar GALACTICA) and found the SPACE:1999 UK release set. No mention of it being region-free, but it did confirm subtitles. I ordered it on a chance and decided that, if it was Region 2, I would pony up the extra money and pay the "hearing impairment tax" and buy a region-free BD player.

I got the set after two or three weeks (takes a long time to ship Royal Mail to USPS). With anticipation, I fired up my PlayStation 3 (which has turned out to be a first-rate BD player; big bonus is that, since it does regular system software updates, I have never had an issue playing any Blu-ray disc, like some of my friends with stand-alone players have). Disc in; waiting... waiting... and BOOM, we have the menu screen!

I was elated. I know it's silly to get excited over such a thing, but I was about to take a great trip down memory lane (with my kids, who watched the set with me over the following month), AND, since it had English Subtitles, I could enjoy it as well.

So a very big thank you to Network Studio for putting together such a great set, for going the extra mile and including SDH, and for making it viewable by this hearing-impaired American who wishes companies here gave a damn.

(I would also like to add that, should Network be gracious enough to give the same region-free SDH treatment to Space:1999 Series 2, I am ready with credit card in hand.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed..., 1 Nov 2010
Shaun Brooks "Shaunie B" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space 1999 - The Complete First Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Having previously bought this series as the Region 1 Megaset, I was looking forward to seeing what they could do with a hi-res restored print on blu ray.

I've just watched the first disc of this and want to say that I'm very impressed indeed. It looks like they've been able to go back to the original film stock for the restoration. Up to now, we've only been able to view the series from the original telecine transfers, (done at 1970's TV resolution). Thankfully they didn't try to make this wide-screen. The episodes retain the original 4:3 aspect.

This new HD transfer has exceeded my expectations. Genuinely, this show has never looked this good. The picture quality is almost contemporary and shows how good the miniature shots were back in the day. Some of the effects look a bit dated but the model shots clearly show, (in much the same way as in classics like 2001) that CGI still has some way to go.

I suspect a lot of hard work went into this and it shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Space 1999 never looked so good, 25 Jun 2013
P. Pascal "FX Wiz" (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space 1999 - The Complete First Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Watching this great Blu Ray edition feels like seeing Space 1999 for the first time. This cult series had fantastic production values, and this HD transfer enables you to fully appreciate the artistry of the set designers, prop makers, special effects supervisors and model makers who did a remarkable job, which still looks good today. Fortunately, this is presented in the original 4/3 image format, unlike the Thunderbirds BR transfer which cuts the top or the bottom of the frame in order to create a fake 16/9 format. (Thunderbirds would really deserve another BR transfer preserving the original frame format !)
Alas, even the best HD transfer cannot improve the quality of a series' scripts, and some episodes are as dissapointing today as they were when the show was aired in 1976. But there are enough gems in the lot to make this BR set extremely enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars The remoteness of our universe, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Space 1999 - The Complete First Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Mr Gerry anderson is gone from our earth now, he has passed on and has left behind his widescale, and widescreen visionary futurism and thoughtfullness of our universal surroundings.

Space:1999 is surely such wonder and awe inspiring science fiction storytelling? And also mature, not perfect!
But its massive corona on scifi has permanently left a print on my brain, my consiencenous, and my spirit and life force, how i see earth and space for all my days.
Thank you mr anderson, thankyou very very much for this marvellous show and all who were involved in its making, just great gerry!
r.i.p Visionary man.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best ever Sci-Fi tv series, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: Space 1999 - The Complete First Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Just got the blu-ray - what amazing picture quality for a 70's tv show! Yes sometimes the acting is a bit ropy and it could be a bit slow but that doesn't matter. In my opinion the best theme tune and credit sequence to a tv show ever. Loved this when I was a kid and I think it still holds up now especially the model work. Loads of extras on the blu-rays and a great informative hefty little booklet inside too. Highly highly recommended especially at the current price (I paid 3 times more for the DVD set about 2 years ago).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 26 July 2012
Shon R. Edwards (Layton, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space 1999 - The Complete First Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have seen many works both on DVD and on Blu-ray. And this one is so far superior to them all. The sound quality goes far above anything I had expected. The beauty and colour of the video is likewise very impressive. If you are a fan of Space: 1999 and purchase this set, you will definitely not be sorry. This will have been the best buy you will ever have made for increased quality's sake. I live in the US, but have loved every second of Space: 1999. Lots of us fans over here. We are especially looking forward to season 2 of the series in Blu-ray. It's been so long, they've got me wondering if it will even come out. But let's keep hoping. Greetings from across the pond and do yourself a favour! Buy this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1970s Sci Fi brought back to life, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Space 1999 - The Complete First Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I remember first watching this show as a kid back in the 80s but was too young to understand the storylines.So I decided to buy the blueray box set now that I can have an adult prospective of the show.

First off the picture quality is brilliant.Considering Space 1999 was made nearly 40 years ago, this new HD digital picture transfer looks as if the show was made recently.Only the 1970s costumes and special effects give it's age away.

Secondly the new 5.1 sound upgrade is also great.You can hear the full experience of the mission control sounds, the pulsating power and computer readouts in the background.Also who can forget the amazing title theme tune which sounds even better than before here.

The storys are well written and each episode features a special guest actor.You get to see a young Ian Mcshane,Brian Blessed, Christopher Lee, Roy Dotrice and Joan Collins put in some good perfomances here.

My only gripe of the show is the somewhat unlimited amount of Eagle space craft Moonbase Alpha seems to have.By the end of the first series well over 20 of the Eagles have either been destroyed or wrecked on the moons surface but they never seem to run out them or the pilots for that matter.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Space 1999 - The Complete First Series [Blu-ray]
Space 1999 - The Complete First Series [Blu-ray] by Barbara Bain (Blu-ray - 2010)
28.25