4.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should have one
Takes rechargeable or normal batteries.
With two rechargeable batteries I can get 2 recharges on my Nexus S, which means I can pretty much do anything all day or not have to visit mains for 2-3 days. Got stuck in a departure lounge after a flight mix up and just watched videos for 4 hours and left with a full charge :)

For this price have one with your...
Published on 7 May 2011 by steeevoj

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous!
Already left a seller review but thought I should probably leave an item review too. Ordered 2 of these chargers for a cycling/ camping holiday as no electric to charge phones.
On receiving the 2 items one didn't work. Reported it through and received a refund (although would rather had 2 working units).
The problem is that on plugging my phone into the charger...
Published on 30 Aug. 2011 by Mr. Richard Furr

4.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should have one, 7 May 2011
This review is from: Black Portable Battery Powered Travel Charger for Apple iPhone 4, iPod & MORE!! (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Takes rechargeable or normal batteries.

For this price have one with your gear, you are never far from a supply of AA batteries.

Two Minor Cons:
1) As others have said it's a trick to get the case open.
2) The switch is 'off' in the mid position. I've found if I switch it off, I've actually put the torch on. I have unnecessarily illuminated the contents of my rucksack on more than one occasion, so do check!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little device, 3 Mar. 2011
I use this with my iPhone 4. I am planning a cycle trip form John O'Groats to Lands End and I don't want to take maps, but I also don't want to get lost. The iPhone has sat nav and all manner of useful tools on it - but the battery doesn't last when you have the satnav on all the time. I bought this to see whether it would help - it does!

I can put my iPhone on my bike with a full charge, use the satnav for over three hours with this plugged into it and the iphone is still on full charge. You can tell when the batteries run out, because the iPhone tells you the device is not compatible as soon as there is too little juice in it. Simple, stop, replace batteries and off you go.

I think it is better to use it this way than to try to use it to charge a device from flat - It will work like this, but I suspect it will not be as efficient.

As per the previous review, the battery cover is a bit of a fiddle to get off, but not worth knocking a star off for it. For £4 it really is a brilliant little device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a nice item. Long wait for delivery, 7 Nov. 2013
No problems with delivery as it says 'shipped direct from China' but it did take about 3 or 4 weeks to arrive. Can't remember exactly how long, lost track of time eventually :)

The item appears to be very well made with a nice glossy finish, a three position slider switch, a LED and a few words in white on the case.

Make sure you use premium batteries in this product, as cheap 'pound shop' alkalines and rechargeables may give unpredictable and abnormal results, or even overheat severely.

Opening the case is an acquired skill. Simply grip like a torch and use the thumb to slide the switch towards the front of the unit and keep pushing with the thumb once the slider/switch stops.

Seems to work OK for me. Just what the doctor ordered at a bargain price. I now need a cheap supply of quality alkalines.

It's a shame this sort of thing is not more widely available in UK electrical retailers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect if using NiMh rechargeables, 9 July 2011
I bought this for a trip to an island with no mains power. Used with NiMh rechargeables it works perfectly with iPhone 4 and iPod Touch and can recharge from empty but will need more than one pair of (2100 mAh) batteries for that (not surprising given the power an iPhone battery holds). Alkaline batteries can't deliver the continuous current like rechargeables hence the roasting batteries and incompatible device message some people complain of when recharging from empty using alkalines - but alakaline batteries do work to keep a near full device topped up. Alkalines would be an expensive way of doing it however, so in any event use the newer NiMh batteries that hold their charge for a long time such as Sony Eneloop or the much cheaper "instant" variety. I agree that the light is pointless and the three way switch an annoyance but at the price for such an effective piece of kit it would be churlish to give less than 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong since 2011, 31 Aug. 2014
I bought mine in Nov 2011. I still use it today or I should say them...

When it first arrived I put some freshly charged rechargeable batteries into it and tried to charge my (Then) iPhone 4. I then had the dreaded "Unsupported device" message appear on my phone and it wouldn`t charge the phone!

So I wrote to the seller in case i`d gotten a dud, who sent out another unit straight away and apologised etc

This new one worked, so I tried the same batteries with the 1st unit, this also worked, I think my partner had unplugged my battery charger the first time so although I thought I`d put freshly charged batteries in, I hadn`t, so my turn to apologise to the seller!

I now use it for my iPhone 5s and sold the extra one to a work colleague for cost price, so I got mine free really. I used to drive buses which have no cigarette power socket to use so this came in very handy, I now run my own company so dont use it as much as before but it`s still going strong and the seller was quick to replace the "faulty" one.

I don`t think they could have done better.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it.... I really like it.... it only arrived a few hours ago and I still like it, 25 Jun. 2014
Ok ordered it to charge my Samsung Galaxy s3 mini... and it does the job... okay straight from the box... well jiffy Bag I took it out figured how to open it up... took me about a minute cause there's no instructions, anyway's I got it open and put some cheap throw away pound store batteries in it....

I'm on my way to asda in a minute to buy either some Duracells, or some Energiser's I read a couple of reviews and read one guy says make sure to use good batteries... so I will right now I can't afford the layout for good recharables but at some point I may do that... anyways on with the review.... I put cheap batteries in and connected it to my phone and hey presto after turning it on, it said ..... Charging... and the little lightning flash came in the battery symbol... so okay its charging.... I looked 15 minutes later.... still charging but the phones battery is still at the same level.... but hey its still at the same level.... which means the phone hasn't lost any power... and I'm texting and doing stuff on my phone and its maintaining its power level.... so okay cheap batteries may not charge the phone but it isn't losing power either so a win, a little one but a win no less.... so out to asda or wherever to get more batteries... and we'll see what we see.. anyways no heat issues with the unit so thats fine... it did take a while to arrive I think I ordered it 3 weeks ago... but at two pounds 30 pence for the unit and free shipping thats fine.... it will do what I need it to do I bought two one for me, one for my friend who has the same phone.... its just something for an emergency so I can charge or maintain my phone whilst I'm out cycling, or shooting pictures or whatever.... basically for if I'm away from an electric outlet for any period of time.... get it or don't It works for me and does what I need it to do... and for me thats a win... plus of course I may buy a couple more for presents for friends....

Okay Just got home from asda..... put decent Alkalines in the charger and it works great, on the 20 minute ride home it charged my phone 10%, so it does work.... great item (in my Humble Opinion) as to the unit getting hot.. well it got warm but not dangerously hot...

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous!, 30 Aug. 2011
Mr. Richard Furr (London) - See all my reviews
The problem is that on plugging my phone into the charger I returned a while later to find the charger literally too hot to hold. I unplugged it straight away and attempted to take the batteries out, but they were too hot to touch so had to leave the whole thing far away from the tent until it had cooled down a bit.
I've reported this through to Amazon who have said they'll contact the seller.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 16 Dec. 2011
I bought this item, expecting it to be reasonable, if not particualrly good, according to other reviews. I didn't exactly have high hopes for it, but considering the price, I thought I'd give it a go anyway. Ii still managed to disappoint me.

Other reviewers have stated that it doesn't work and that it heats up instead of any effective charging when using standard acid batteries, but works perfectly well with rechargable NiMH batteries. I did not find this to be true at all, I only used NiMH batteries to charge my mobile, it seemed to work alright to start with, but after fifteen minutes or so, it had got rather hot and stopped charging, with my phone telling me it had only gained 10% charge.

I was tempted by the low price into a 'give a go' attitude, you haven't got much to lose, but it wasn't worth it.
My advice is to go on YouTube and find yourself a tutorial to make your own with a 9V battery. It works much better, and costs roughly the same. Either that, or fork out for a well made Duracell version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Emergency recharger for iPhone and USB devices, 8 July 2011
The price of this unit is very very cheap - about £4 from memory. Hence useful to have. The unit takes a couple of AA size batteries. I was surprised to find that the 2 AA batteries only recharged my 3Gs iPhone about 70% before running out. Still, since I have plenty of AA rechargeable batteries around that is not a problem. However it would be expensive if I was having to buy non-rechargeable batteries for it. Other more expensive rechargers I read about deliver a couple of full iPhone charges so are better from a capacity perspective. However one point in favor of this unit is that it is very small - it is about half as long again as the 2 AA batteries it houses. Very convenient to carry. So for the occasional time I get caught short with my iPhone battery or for long haul flights where I can carry a couple of sets of rechargeable batteries, the unit works very well for me. Although I use an iPhone, any unit that is powered by a USB connection can be powered or recharged from it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 5 Sept. 2011
Like anyone else who buys this item, I needed to have a charger I could carry with me therefore I was immensely excited when I ordered this little thing. It's shaped like a lighter but it's heavier (when batteries are in) and thicker. There is a light at the top which you can switch on and off as desired which I assume is for when you need to see where you're connecting the charger to the phone. The 'off' button is on the top left hand side in between the light button and the USB button to enable the charge to commence.

The charger works for a few minutes, if not few seconds but then a message pops up informing me that the charger isn't compatible with the phone. This is surprising considering this charger is supposedly precisely for the iphone4.