4.0 out of 5 stars Finally A Reality!
No, you're not dreaming. This album has finally been released, a good 12 months after the first single.

I have been waiting for this to come out since I heard "It's Not A Dream" on Radio 2 last autumn.

Was it worth the wait? Of Corrs (sorry!).

Published on 12 Sept. 2010 by R. EDWARDS

3.0 out of 5 stars Long time coming...
I was excited about Sharon having a solo career after hearing her and Caroline singing "No Frontiers" on the Corrs Unplugged DVD - a wonderful duet.

Published on 4 Jun. 2011 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally A Reality!, 12 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Dream Of You (Audio CD)

Was it worth the wait? Of Corrs (sorry!).

As much as I like Andrea's voice, I have always thought that Sharon is the better singer, with a purer voice.

If you are a fan of the band, this album follows their template more closely than Andrea's did, with some traditional instrumentals included.

I love her version of (the current single) "Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime"
(great video - hope you wore sunscreen Sharon).

"It's Not A Dream" still sounds as good as when I first heard it.

I have to say that as nice as it was, I thought "Mna Na h'Eireann" went on a bit and Jeff Beck's involvement did nothing for my enjoyment.

I was ready for another vocal and "Buenos Aires" is a truly beautiful song (probably my favourite on the album). I will definately be looking up Alex Ubago's work.

"So Long Ago" is another cracker.

Next up is an orchestral-heavy interpretation of the Bronski Beat classic "Smalltown Boy". It's certainly different!

I kept waiting for the other instruments to kick in during "Butterflies". I did think that it was lacking something.

"Real World" would have made a better last track than the Memphis flavoured "Love Me Better", which I thought was a strange choice to finish on.

Overall, an enjoyable, well produced album with some lovely violin and piano. I'm on my fourth listen and will be playing it for a while yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft and Elegant Magic, 15 Sept. 2010
Jovita Joseph (Mumbai, Maharashtra India) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Of You (Audio CD)
I own every Corr cd and dvd and loyally got Andrea's solo offering 'Ten Feet High' but was a quite disappointed. Sharon however has more than made up for that. This is an excellent album. The traditional instrumentals are always a pleasure to hear and the 3 in this album are not a let down... each with its own mood and charm. But the other songs are fantastic too. Yes, they are all love songs but they are BEAUTIFUL love songs. I have fallen in love with all of them. The melodies are beautiful and stay with you. But what needs to be appreciated is that the vocals are truly good too. Sharon may not have Andrea's strength of voice but there is a lot more emotion. It goes without saying that you will hear lots of Sharon's amazing violin on the album. The album has no fast paced numbers with heavy drum beats and electric guitars. But hats off to Sharon for sticking to what she thought would sound best and not give in to what would sell best.
If you are a true music lover this album is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Celtic Pop Gem, 21 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Dream Of You (Audio CD)
This album if filled with enjoyable music for all Corrs fans and lovers of Celtic pop in general.

Sharon Corr continues the tradition of catchy hooks and memorable choruses established by the Corrs in the 90's. On this album, Sharon showcases her beautiful violin playing on songs like "Our Wedding Day", "It's Not a Dream" and "Cooley's Reel", then busts out all the stops in an absolutely magical duet with Jeff Beck on the haunting "Mna Na h'Eireann".

Folks who love a beautiful melody will love "It's Not A Dream", while those who prefer hooky pop will enjoy "Everobody's Gotta' Learn Sometime" and "Dream of You". The strongest lyrical depth is the moving "Smalltown Boy", while the weakest is "Real World" where the lyrics don't quite ever match the real world.

Overall, a definitely worthwhile addition to your music library.The Best of the Corrs

5.0 out of 5 stars the corrs back, 25 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Dream Of You (Audio CD)
a very good album, sounding like pure irish corrs. i highly recommend to the corrs fans and the version of smalltown boy is outsanding. thank you sharon, and don't stop, some of us still buy records, greetings from spain

4.0 out of 5 stars familiar sound revisited, 30 Jan. 2011
P. G. Croft (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Of You (Audio CD)
I have bought albums that have burnt brightly and died quickly. But Sharon Corrs debut album is one of three parts. Instant gratification with the first 5 tracks, followed by a middle section that grabs you more slowly, and complete satisfaction by the time you can name the tracks without checking the sleeve. I prefer these to the high flyers, and I'm confident I'll be playing this album regularly, well into the second half of the year. A beautifully produced and balanced programme. p g croft

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Album, 14 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Dream Of You (Audio CD)
If you love The Corrs - you will fall in love with Sharon on another level!! The album has been a long time in the making and since buying it, I can see that it was well worth the wait. Strong thoughtful lyrics and varied melodies and tempos throughout the album. it's thoroughly enjoyable.

Stand out tracks are Sharon's version of Bronski Beats "Small Town Boy", the beautiful "Butterflies", the passionate and emotional "So Long Ago" and the chilling and sensational "Real World". A pleasure to listen to!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Competent Solo Debut, 15 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Dream Of You (Audio CD)
"Dream of You" is a collection of largely slow-tempo songs that sore at times and miss the mark at others. The songs that I'm most impressed with are "Real World" and "Love Me Better." They both share some of Sharon's stronger vocals on the album. She allows her voice to have life and expression, even giving "Love Me Better" a bit of soul. In addition, "Love Me Better's" arrangement and background vocals are truly top notch. There is genuine heart in "Real World," which only enhance the mature and reflective lyrics in the song. "Butterflies" has a beautiful melody and is richly performed vocally, but when she sings, "I have butterflies" it seems rather callow--almost more befitting of someone like Taylor Swift. Her version of "Small Town Boy" is stunning. The slowed down arrangement really highlights the heartrending emotion in the song and it suits her voice perfectly. The other cover on the album, "Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime," is not as engaging but it does improve on the original by mitigating its repetitive drone with a slightly faster tempo, stronger beat and an electro-trance atmosphere that gives the song some desperately needed color. The traditional pieces all shine. "Ma Na Heireann" is an exotic and lovely piece of music that manages to also groove and "Cooley's Reel" provides some up-tempo relief from all the balladry with it's rollicking fun. "Our Wedding Day" is an appropriately dramatic, but not overwrought, way to open the album and flows quite nicely into "Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime." "So Long Ago" is a track where she does her best to mimic Andrea, and does so quite admirably in the portions of the song where her voice doesn't give way to nasal whine. This track isn't a thrilling or pleasingly unexpected song like "Real World" or "Love Me Better," but is the kind of mild pop song that can get stuck in your head easily. "Dream of You" is an example of a good song that gets defeated by uninspired vocals. I was able to hear "Dream of You" live at the Isle of Wight concert and Sharon had two terrific background singers who provided lovely harmony throughout the song. Unfortunately, those harmonies have been tragically reduced on the album version. What has been recorded focuses on Sharon's rather drab and lifeless performance and the song never has the impact that it should until the end where she actually lets go and gets in to the song, but by then it's too late.

What doesn't work at all on the album are the tracks "It's Not A Dream" and the dreadful "Buenos Aires." The love song "It's Not A Dream" is a pleasant but ultimately bland love song that fails to register any true feeling. It's the kind of unobtrusive music you hear over store public address systems to fill the quiet. I wish she had pushed herself to write something a little less saccharine and formulaic. "Buenos Aires" is just bad. There is no other way to put it. It's a tuneless slow song that is utterly disappointing. I had high hopes for the song after hearing the brilliant duet with Alex Ubago on "Amarrado A Ti," but this track does not come close to the vocal harmony they achieved on that song. Sharon tries but her voice comes off as stiff and colorless. Meanwhile, Ubago sounds off key in many parts of the tune. This is oil and water because their voices simply don't blend. Perhaps if Ubago sang his parts in Spanish he could have focused more on his pitch and less on the English words that sound very awkward in his mouth. A song this slow and repetitive needs to be sung flawlessly to work and that simply doesn't happen here.

Bottom line is that Sharon Corr has compiled an album of mostly good songs with 2 standouts and 2 duds. I'd say that's a competent solo debut.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Mix Of Styles, 24 Sept. 2014
Mark Syder (Prescot, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Of You (Audio CD)
A very interesting mix of styles makes for a varied and enjoyable listen. There are a couple of instrumentals here including Cooley's Reel; an Irish-sounding tune that features Sharon's superb violin skills. Not surprisingly, violin makes several more appearances on this disc - despite being a guitar, bass, and drums person at heart I find Sharon's violin playing very enjoyable.

Other highlights include Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime which is, for this listener, an improvement on the original, It's Not A Dream, So Long Ago, Dream Of You, and Real World.

Just when you've got used to a mix of Corrs-style pop and Irish folk music, you're taken by surprise by the country sound of the closing track, Love Me Better.

My closing remark is to mention that Sharon is, in my opinion, just as good a singer as Andrea. If you like The Corrs because of Andrea's voice, there's a good chance you'd like Sharon's solo work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Redemption of the Corrs' Heritage, 18 Dec. 2010
Gabriel Ominyi (Port-Harcourt, Nigeria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Of You (Audio CD)
Quite contrary to one of the reviewer's comments I think 'It's not a dream' is a fantastic track. The melody is super. I do agree with him though that Andrea's Ten Feet is a let down. I bought both albums same day and I have to say Sharon's album lives up to what you would expect from the Corrs. Keep them coming girl!

3.0 out of 5 stars Long time coming..., 4 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Dream Of You (Audio CD)

After "Not a Dream" I was determined to get this album for more of the same. Having heard clips of the "Smalltown Boy" cover and talk of a cover of "Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime" I was encouraged even though I would have hoped for more original material.

The production cannot be faulted - clearly a lot of time and love has gone into the project by all involved. However I was hoping for something more... personal. I guess hardcorr (ha) fans will like this album well enough, but for me after a number of listens it's only "Not a Dream" that stands out as a truly beautiful and enduring song.

Hoping Caroline makes an album someday...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dream Of You
Dream Of You by Sharon Corr (Audio CD - 2010)