on 9 February 2012
...and no doubt fishermen. I appreciate other people may have found the back rest a problem and it is true that forethought is needed before putting up and packing away. Personally I don't find it a problem as long as I remember to fold it away before filling up the side pockets. (which is a perfect size for my all important flask of tea)
Rather than a design fault it seems to me a good solution to a difficult problem. Obviously the back rest cover must come off otherwise the whole thing will not fold down compactly. (so far this has not been inconvenient)
Overall it is a good design with plenty of space for all my "stuff". I like the fact that the sack is at the front so easy access of materials is possible once seated.
I use it at least once a week for sketching trips and for artists alike I think it is an excellent tool. A great deal more stable than the little three legged stool I used to use. (which I now take along as well and use as a mini table)
Perhaps I tend to carry too much and this makes it a bit heavy sometimes. It's not a rucksack that I would like to have to carry for long periods, but then that's not what it was designed for!
A good price compared to some others I have seen advertised. I would gladly advise others to buy!
on 12 March 2011
I know this is designed for the Fisherman in mind but i bought this product primarily to compliment my new hobby of nature watching. Two side pockets carries my flask and water. A front pocket carries my field book, first aid kit, map etc. whilst the main compartment has plenty of room for my waterproofs, field scope, pack lunch and just about anything else i want to put in there. Totally waterproof lined interiors. when packed up ready for walking the rucksack looks and feels like a framed rucksack, comfortable and airy to the back and actually reduces build up of sweat down the back by letting air circulate around your body. The seat is comfortable enough, you can have it in the stool position, which i use when out walking and with the back rest up which comes in handy for those longer periods of sitting. weighs in at about 6lbs which causes me no probs, i usually carry about 20lb on a normal day out anyway. all in all a very good buy, i'm really pleased with it and it beats sitting/kneeling in the wet grass on an early morning outing. There are cheaper alternatives and you can tell they are cheaper. Fully recommended
on 26 July 2012
Bought this for £21 as I recently started fishing again after 20 years or so.I wanted something to carry my tackle and needed a chair also so I went for this with some caution as pictures are very deceiving when shopping on the net but I took a chance,and what a chance to take.This is an amazing bit of kit in my opinion,the chair height is good and the backrest makes all the difference when sitting down to watch your rod although I am a casual fisherman and not a carp hunter so it was fine for me.The backpack holds all my kit for a trip down to the river or lake for a days fishing and the two side pockets hold my two 1 litre flasks to perfection (gotta have enough tea to drink).The main compartment held my floatbox,tacklebox,baitbox and reels just fine and the front pocket held a bag of groundbait a tin of sweetcorn and a couple of other small items.All in all I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to go on a days fishing be it by car or bike and get to them hard to reach spots on the bank,very pleased indeed.Oh and the back piece on the chair is removable as to allow the chair to fold up and get the whole thing on your back.
on 3 January 2012
I bought this for my father for Christmas and it's pretty good. Solid construction, good quality thick canvas and no fraying or lose ends that one other reviewer mentioned. For the price I Am more than happy with it but more importantly so is my father.
on 25 July 2011
I opted to buy the Shakespeare item as I have in the past found their products to be servicable and generally well made. I wanted a seat for fishing and also something to transport some items rather than having to carry two or three packages plus rods from my car to the pool or lakeside.
In this case although the product does what it is supposed to do there does appear to be a design fault which could easily be rectified by the makers. The canvas seat backrest has not been permanently stiched/fixed to the seat uprights and can easily slide off and be lost. The first time I used the seat I noticed the problem and nearly lost the strip of canvas which would have rendered the seat useless without a back support.
Otherwise the item is fine.
on 23 July 2012
Have not had chance to try this "in the field" as yet but have formed some opinions based upon many years of fly-fishing and hill walking. Firstly I must say the item is ok and it works. However there are a number of areas where it could be improved with little added expense to the manufacturer. The materials are adequate but have seen better in "fashion" rucksacks costing less. Fasteners are fine - but two on front pocket would improve security of contents.Internal divisions in main bag would also be useful. Straps are average quality and lack padding - would not like to carry this all day, especially since the frame makes the pack quite heavy (aluminium frame would help) - whilst fine for fishing this would not be good for hiking! The seat is adequate - bit short front to back. The folding back is quite comfortable but actually is an impediment when seat is folded and rucksack is fully loaded. I may be missing something but I feel there is something lacking in the design department here. Finally, the price paid means this piece of kit is reasonable value. Full price would have been a little expensive but, as I said at the beginning, it IS ok and seems to work (almost worth four stars!!)and will certainly make life a little more comfortable after my double knee replacement!
on 9 June 2011
Shakespeare Deluxe Rucksack Chair - Brown/Green, 85 Kg
As I am now retired and getting a bit older, I find it harder to kneel down on my knees for longer periods.It is difficult to get up and my joints feel stiff. This rucksack is the answer.!!! Also with the backrest it is much more comfortable. As you sit you can reach all your fishing equipment ( Flies reels lines etc. as well as your lunch and flask without moving from your seat.I would highly recommend this item to anyone.Andy Wallace.
on 10 July 2011
Buying this as replacement, the last one lasted me for year's. I fish St Catherin's breakwater Jersey and this bag takes all I need, I fish two beachcaster rods with multiplier reels and one other with a fixed spool reel, the three reels, several pounds of lead, tackle box's, drop net, and all the sundries necessary for a day's sea fishing including flask and sandwich box can be squirrelled away within the main compartment, the two side pockets and the pouch on the front. Its comfy to sit on and to carry. The only criticism I have of it is that they do not make ( that I can find ) a decent tackle box that will fit inside horizontally. That said It suits me fine and I would not hesitate to recommend this product. Tight line's.
on 3 December 2015
I use this inside a hide when out pigeon shooting and it's excellent for carrying my stuff for the day, easily fits my lunch, hat, gloves and a couple of boxes of cartridges. So good I bought another for my dad. Far more comfortable than a normal stool however we found the back of the "chair" was very far back, I bent mine using a vice to the shape I like to sit and it's now perfect.
on 20 March 2016
Bought this for my partner for christmas! He absolutly loved it...3 years later and hes still got it. He using for fishing. The material is so strong and brilliant. My partner gives it a hard time stuffing it with all his things for fishing and its always done so good. No rips yet. Its one of the best things ive bought for him.