5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book
Published on 1 Jan 2011 by Rebecca

3.0 out of 5 stars A great insight
I was eager to read this book as I worked as a Doctor's Receptionist for several years; I thought it would be good to see it from the Doctors perspective. I think I should write a book from the receptionist's point of view, I have many a tale there.....
Published on 4 Sep 2011 by J Juckes

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book, 1 Jan 2011
Rebecca (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confessions of a GP (The Confessions Series) (Kindle Edition)
Having just finished this book I knew I had to come on here and review it. I thoroughly enjoyed Dr Daniels stories about his patients. There were parts of this book that made me laugh out loud, particuarly the chapters 'Maintaining Interest' and 'Dead People' The chapters are all rather short which makes this a great book for dipping in to or reading for longer periods. Mostly Dr Daniels tells you about his wide range of patients and but there are also some really insightful chapters which are quite thought provoking and open your eyes to some of the things GPs have to endure. It is also sad in places too. All in all a great book and an amazingly cheap price. I'd definitely recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Sep 2010
An original book written by a real GP, which will make you laugh out loud and ponder over serious matters, all at the same time. Hilarious and touching. It is divided into easy-to-read chapters and the author's sense of humour, combined with his love for his job make this book a page-turner.

It is a pity that "Dr. Daniels" cannot reveal his true identity for obvious reasons (and thus he will probably not be able to enjoy `ad personam' the success I hope his book will generate), still, well done for having produced such a delightful read. It was refreshing to read about a GP's personal opinion toward certain issues, I am sure it must have been awkward to put some of them in writing -but liberating too I guess!-.

The overall gist was, in my opinion, that GPs, like all human beings, have their feelings and limits, too. And a lot of bureaucracy to deal with. "Dr. Daniels" is no different. Still, his compassion, humanity and dedication to his job are clearly showing through the pages. He will always deal with his patients to the best of his abilities. And his sense of humour is just brilliant. As the saying goes "A laugh a day keeps the doctor away"... You need no prescription, so read this book and give your GP a rest (for a 10 mins slot, at least). Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 4 Jan 2011
S. Beaton (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book allows you to get into the head of a GP to find what he really thinks of being a doctor and it seems he gives a very unadulterated account of how it is.
Yes he comes across as opinionated, if he didn't there would be no basis of this book.
It is easy to read and requires no great concentration but it does give you an interesting view into the head of a doctor.
Funny at times, truthful but perhaps hard to swallow at other times.

5.0 out of 5 stars So true of life in a GP Surgery, 3 Aug 2011
Pogo (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
I was drawn to this book to see if it truly reflects life working in a GP Surgery & having worked for a surgery for 14 years I can honestly say it does! The author/GP wrote well of his experiences & battles he faces daily. Same as the GPs I worked for he has a sense of humour (so necessary) & yet empathy & compassion where needed. It was refreshing to read the human reaction of his visit to the obese patient (stomach churning) & being unable to clean up after the patient & needing the district nurse to pick up the peices....a recognised unsung hero of the nhs!
This book should be available in surgery waiting rooms......!

3.0 out of 5 stars A great insight, 4 Sep 2011
J Juckes "Hades2" (, UK) - See all my reviews
Well this book is very amusing! I was sat on the train and had to stifle a few laughs. I thought the short chapters were good because it kept each section short and interesting.
In the book there was a couple of chapters about drugs reps, I found myself nodding my head in agreement as to how persistent they were. I remember fending off at least two a day, but I did marvel how the "pretty" ones seemed to get through. The Doctor's at my practice were really nice to us and used to give us the bounty from the drugs reps, we came home with loads of stationery and mugs.
Overall I found this book had a nice easy feel to it, but, it did lose points as some of the chapters seemed a little disjointed. Would I recommend this book? Yes, because I do think the stories are fun and entertaining.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for dipping into., 29 Dec 2013
Mrs. Julie Holt "Julie Haigh" (West Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This was the first book I ever read in the kindle format. It's a great collection of short chapters/scenarios in the life of a GP. Great for dipping in and out of, it doesn't have to be read all in one go as it is a set of random issues that the average Doctor comes into contact with in his everyday working life. You can quite easily read this alongside another book in a different genre and not lose track of it at all. Some of the stories are humorous and some thought-provoking, some will surprise you, eg. how your Doctor looks at things various patients present him with. I thoroughly enjoyed this, it wasn't too technical so the average person can enjoy it, you don't need to have any medical knowledge. Reading this has lead me to read quite a few more of this type of book and I've just read Benjamin Daniels' newest offering- 'Further Confessions of a GP' and this is even better than this one. Great reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A witty account of the life and times of a modern GP, 14 April 2011
I loved this book. It is insightful and funny. Well written and a joy to read. It has also given me some good advice on what to do or not do when I next visit my GP! A truely insightful book into the mind of the modern GP and some of the more "interesting" cases.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been much more interesting, 17 May 2011
This book is quite short and is made up of many disjointed anecdotes. To be honest, I'm surprised a GP doesn't have more interesting cases than these, but that could be because he has only been a GP for 3 years.
This is a vaguely interesting book but quickly forgettable.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book. It's very special!, 23 April 2014
I laughed out loud at this book and the sequel. I could really appreciate the sad side as well. He shows how difficult it is to get it right on all levels as a General Practitioner. He appears to be a very kind man. As a charge Nurse, Reflexologist and Reiki Master I would like Dr. Daniels to be maybe a little more open minded about Complementary medicine and try a treatment sometime. He is aware that emotional issues effect one's general health and these therapies do work on emotional as well as mental and physical needs. I have recommended this book to all my friends and would definitely read a follow up. Thank you so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Night., 26 Mar 2014
As this was my chosen book for the World Book Night, I though I would buy one in advance to give an idea which people I could give to.