Published on 15 Aug 2010 by D. Payne

1.0 out of 5 stars Let Me Give It To You Straight.....
As a stand up fan, I got a few stand-up DVDs for Christmas and I purposefully saved this one for last. Burdened with my expectations, I wasn't disappointed.

Stewart Lee is an artistic comedian of extraordinary talent that sometimes, what seems like hours can pass without the audience laughing (but it's in fact only several minutes). Sometimes he even uses a...
Published on 13 Feb 2012 by PD Flood

5.0 out of 5 stars What a relief! Perhaps the best entertainment news of the year., 15 Aug 2010
D. Payne "coflowdave" (Teesside) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stewart Lee - If You Prefer A Milder Comedian Please Ask For One [DVD] (DVD)
Having seen this show live (twice), being of the opinion that Stewart Lee is the world's finest living stand up, and being absolutely gutted that both times he did this show he said that it wouldn't be released on DVD ever because it just wasn't financially viable anymore, I am relieved beyond words that this is being released and won't be lost to history. The Top Gear routine alone is a tour-de-force of comedic brilliance that I can't wait to see again.
What with this now getting a release and Stewart Lee also getting a second BBC series next year, I can only hope that he gets the wider audience his thought-provoking, literate and intelligent comedy so thoroughly deserves and continues making us laugh for a long long time. I can't recommend this highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stewart Lee At His Best, 21 Feb 2012
I. M. Knight (Huddersfield, England) - See all my reviews
This man has grown as an artist and comedian compared to just a few years ago - stand-up comedian DVD is brilliant but not genius... as this is. His ability to work a Glasgow audience in this routine is astonishing.

On a side note - from a personal story about Stewart Lee and what his comedy means to me. I went for a meal at an Indian restaurant with some friends - well acquaintances that I knew through work - not necessarily people I liked or disliked if anything I was indifferent to them.
Anyway they were all talking about the TV they watched - Xfactor, big brother, I'm a celebrity etc. I didn't really contribute anything to the conversation as these programs didn't really interest me. Someone noticed this and said, `So, Ian, what do you watch on TV' - trying to include me in the conversation.
I said, `Well I watch documentaries and a bit of comedy - I particularly like Stewart Lee at the moment - from Stewart Lees Comedy Vehicle.' As soon as I'd finished speaking there was no reaction - nothing - complete silence. They stared at me with blank faces - a slight breeze blew an onion bhaji across the table... the tension was unbearable.
Anyway, eventually someone did break the silence and said something like - who do you think will win Xfactor and they carried on.
Anyway it's sufficed to say that I wasn't invited out socially with that group of people again.

That's what I like most about Stewart Lee - not only is he able to refine his own audience but he can simultaneously refine my own friend base as well. Thanks Stew!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Visible Otters, 9 Jan 2011
James F. Graham "jack4381" (South West UK) - See all my reviews
Reviewing a previous Stewart Lee DVD, I said he'd never had the success he deserved. And probably never would. Imagine the mixed emotions of a man reading a review like that about himself. Well, he's now having some of the success he deserves - no doubt simply in order to make me look stupid. Serves me right; I am an insensitive fool. I hope he enjoys his revenge upon me.

Look, this DVD is only the best work of the best stand-up currently living. You don't often encounter comedy that literally makes your body ache from laughing... still less often do you encounter comedy that (at times) moves you to tears of empathy. Less often still do you encounter comedy that does all the above while fanning the flames of righteous indignation and outrage at a world slipping into apocalyptic consumerist blandness.

This is forthright, full-throttle, twisty, sneaky, bleakly ironic, startlingly clever, morally furious, humane, hilarious uber-comedy. This is the best there is. All on DVD. And a DVD is such a little thing. It fits easily onto most shelves and has no dangerous sharp edges. Buy the thing. Now. That's an order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Four stars on the Lee scale (Five compared to everybody else), 9 Nov 2010
A. Ball - See all my reviews
So Stewart Lee goes mainstream. Which means moving up from back street comedy clubs to a small theatre. Yet perversely enough this seems to be his most confrontational and deliberately 'difficult' show yet. True he did spend most of "90's Comedian" being extremely blasphemous but frankly there are more people in Britain now who worship Mock The Week and Top Gear than Jesus. The basic theme is a venomous deconstruction of the recent comedy scene and what Stew thinks is a fixation on being deliberately cruel and insulting instead of insightful. So that means that Frankie Boyle and "those Russell comedians" get their own subtle mocking, and Top Gear and Richard (He's not a real hamster) Hammond gets both barrels. This is where I came verrrry close to knocking a star off because I think he does get a little bit repetitive and carried away with one basic idea (that Top Gear dishes it out so it would be funny to be as ridiculously insulting back at them). Stewart Lee's absolute greatest strength has been his ability to mercilessly mock an entire idea or group of people in such a quick and subtle way that it takes a moment to register what he just did. Take the bit about the little village his mother lives in "90's Comedian", the whole Little England world and mindset is summed up a few delicious lines; "They didn't tell me because I wasn't from there", "He came in his coat Mrs. Lee, whatever next?". Here there's a breathtakingly silly broadside against the seemingly innocuous Richard Hammond, but it gets a bit stuck and doesn't go anywhere. In fact Stew's recent book, and the excellent interview with Kevin Eldon on the DVD, makes the point about his disappointment with modern comedy better than his show does. Still, the fifth star came back again with the Pear Cider finale, a mickey take of epic proportions against that most deserving of targets; cynical TV adverts and the people who appear in them.
So it's not for everyone (obviously), but the clue's in the title isn't it?

4.0 out of 5 stars A superior comic near the top of his game, 6 Dec 2010
J. T. Hooker (Albion) - See all my reviews
I remember watching 'Comedy Vehicle' a year or two ago on the BBC and thinking it was superb - not to mention a refreshing change from most of the tripe that passes for comedy on the BBC nowadays.

Having never really heard a great deal of Stewart Lee's material prior to watching the above, I was extremely impressed by both '41st Best Stand Up Ever' and this, Lee's latest offering.

Most will no doubt have heard about his Top Gear/Richard Hammond rant; brilliantly executed and supremely wry, it's certainly the highlight of this set alongside the memorable closing routine.

Overall, 4 1/2 stars and the best DVD I've seen for a few years. Lee is clearly the leader of the stand up pack right now and stands head and shoulders above the Mock The Week crew.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer genius, 29 Nov 2010
Stewart Lee continues to produce some of the sharpest and most unique stand-up around. Not a single word or gesture is wasted as he delivers an enthralling show whilst simultaneously delivering a running commentary on the mechanics of the comedy processes involved. I could continue to throw more superlatives at this DVD, but I think 'superb' covers it in far less words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as Tom O'Connor, 14 Oct 2010
I enjoy Stewart Lee, but I have to say he's not a patch on Tom O'Connor, I saw Tom once, he was amazing. He came out, he asked this man in the audience, `What do you do for a living?' and the man says `I work in the oil industry' and quick as a flash, Tom O'Connor says `Are you a sardine?'. It was hilarious. No, wait - the man says `I'm in oil,' that's it, and quick as a flash, Tom O'Connor says `Are you a sardine?'. It was hilarious. I can't imagine Stewart Lee being that funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made from 100% Pear... or is that Pears?, 14 Sep 2012
Emmster "the book wurme" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
If you know you like him - then this won't disappoint. I saw it live at The Nuffield in Southampton where he was playing to a packed house.

He was awesome. You need to pay attention and keep up with where he's going. Some great digressions, the obligatory ranting bit and the sections on Cafe Nero, Top Gear and Pear Cider were absolutely top-class.

If you don't know that you like him: he's more of a thinking-man/woman's comedian, there are few cheap 'n easy gags; it's all little stories that make you think as well as laugh. Probably best to go to youtube and look him up. If you watch a few clips and like it, then you're pretty much guaranteed to like his dvds.

Well worth it - definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 13 Feb 2011
I saw this show live at a different venue, but still laughed as much when I watched the dvd.
Hilarious!

5.0 out of 5 stars A slow burning but ultimately raging inferno of genius, 8 Feb 2011
Joseph Devine (Peterborough, UK) - See all my reviews
Stewart Lee is amazing. Having seen one of his previous DVDs and his recent appearances on such shows as Time Trumpet it was awesome to see the edgy comic I grew up with as a child watching Fist of Fun and see that he had lost none of his touch.
This a is a great show, alhough it may not be for impatient tastes, as he spends the first 25 minutes ranting about a Caffe Nero loyalty card, and much of the show is built up slowly and cleverly, rather than being instantaneous or simple. Yet this is one of the amazing things about him, he can make you laugh and really fill time even when he isn't actually saying all that much and it's incredible to watch his show unfold into something truly hilarious and spectacular. In the second half the incisive anger and cutting commentary has reached amazing heights, and he manages to to do the angry shocking comedian thing without resorting to vile language or jokes about famous child murder victims like say, Frankie Boyle for example, who gets a subtle bit of mockery at the start.
His tirade against illegal downloading of his shows while up in the circle seating is absolutely hysterical.
All in all, if you are a fan of dull Live at the Apollo style jokes about how people have different accents to other people, then steer clear. However, if you like genuinely creative and remarkably well judged, delivered and informed comedy performance that turns stand up on its head and tears it apart with sparking wit and raw talent, then this is for you!