on 14 November 2010
Since O'Connor has already given an overview of this game, I'll just say my personal opinion about it.
I'll start saying that I'm a big JRPGs fan, even though I've never played an Atelier series game, so that's the first one for me.
I usually don't like crafting, I have more fun defeating strong monsters in order to get rare items, instead of making them by myself. Atelier Rorona changed my mind: the game is all about synthesize items, but like I wrote in the title it's very addictive (I've finished the game yesterday, and I always had sessions at least of 3 hours), since you have always quests to accomplish before the deadlines, and to do that you also have to explore the different "dungeons".
I found the story pretty simple but very well-told; the graphic and the musics are really lovely too, and the fact that you can choose between English and Japanese dubbing is an appreciated feature.

So, why the 4 stars? That's because Atelier Rorona is a little different than the usual JRPGs, and while I was lucky to like it, it could not be the same if you're searching for some classic JRPG. But if you like the genre, and you're willing to try something that can be new, then Atelier Rorona really deserves a chance =)
on 25 October 2010
So, another Atelier game has finally come out... It probably doesn't mean much to most people, let me inform you.
The Atelier games follow alchemists, men and women who can manipulate elements and items to create a range of different foods, weapons, objects etc and this is no different.
The game follows a young apprentice, Rorona who is under a rather uncaring master. Their workshop is being threatened with closure and it is up to Rorona to create enough items in order to prove to the king that it is in the kingdoms interest to keep it open, so far so good. She'll have the help of friends who will help her to battle her way through mines and forests to find items so that she can complete her quest.
The story doesn't seem to be much more than this (although I am only about 6/7 hours in) and the plot doesn't really seem to thicken other than finding out that there are people who really want Rorona to fail. The characters are generally likable although a little childish and a little too girly. Their squabbles remind you of being back in a classroom with lots of kids.
Graphically the game is brilliant, lots of nice, bright, colourful visuals, interesting people and monsters and lots of areas, they are only spoilt by the lack of exploration available.
Unlike previous Atelier games, this is more similar to Mana Khemia Student Aliance. The game is based on a series of years and you must complete jobs in each year. This basicaslly involves fighting, obtaining items, synthesisng (creating items) and submitting them. You can also chose to do jobs for people which are usually fetch aned bring quests. The biggest problem is a lack of exploration. You chose where you want to go and you go, that is it. Whilst there are shops and the village square to visit, it is rather limiting.
In terms of gameplay, the fighting is simple enough. Enemy has a go then player, then enemy and so on. You can hit, use specials (which use your own life points) and items. Its generally OK if not limiting. Fighting causes you to get better and stronger. Synthesising is the chance to create items. You need to use the right ingredients to create others, these can generally be bought or found. Simple enough, yes. It really doesn't become much more complicated than this. The only problem is that it can become repetitive. The music on the other hand is fab and really catchy but I guess this will depend on what you like.
If you like japanese role play games, than you will probably like this but be aware that it doesn't have much of a story. I personally like it but it probably wont be to most peoples tastes.
on 2 April 2011
I must admit, the first feedback from other people I had of this game were that it was repetitive and cutesy.

I had played eternal sonata, and the cutesyness of THOSE characters got on my nerves. However, having never played an Altelier title before, I decided to give this one a try - and if it was bad, i would be warned off the series in future.

I cannot compare this game to others of the series as i have not been lucky enough to have played them. So i will base this game on its own merits.

Graphics
The graphics are bright and colorful, maybe not 'up there' in terms of newer PS3 games, but appealing none the less. There are a few story scenes where a static picture of the character is used, similar to visual novel type games. The characters themselves are rather blocky, but this didnt detract from the game

Characters
The characters are all likeable, there are many different characters to recruit for your party, and their special battle moves are really cute! The monsters also look like something Sanrio (hello kitty) would design

Story
The story is very basic, yet charming, and revolves around using materials and ingredients to fulfil townspeople quests to keep the workshop running. Depending on your actions, the story can also delve into the background and pasts of your party members.

Gameplay
The game plays a lot like Rune Factory ( a Harvest Moon type game that incorporates battling monsters as well). Similar to a harvest moon game, the player has 3 years to do various quests for the townsfolk to keep the workshop going. Every action takes time to perform, e.g it may take 2 days to synthesise an accessory. Because of this, time management is essential. It takes time to travel to areas to gather materials. The main character (rorona) levels up in two ways, alchemy/mix levels which determines what items she can create, and her battle level, which is needed when battling monsters in the field.

If this sounds complicated, it really isnt. This game is a lovely way to unwind at the end of the day, and there is something like 14 different endings! You can do quests for townspeople and the characters of your party for special events, and also influences the endings.

There are tons of things to do and places to go in this game, I was never bored for a second, in fact i wished it was longer! :p (although i got a good 25+hrs out of it for one playthrough - and there is a new game + option as well!)

I found the story charming, and it gave me hours of enjoyment, so I rate it a 5 out of 5 :p

If you like harvest moon games, this is definitely for you, or if you are a more casual gamer or just someone that enjoys a fun gameplay, grab it now!
on 21 November 2015
This was Gust's first attempt at creating an Atelier game on ps3. and despite being a big atelier fan, I cannot recommend this game; it is not very polished in terms of outdated graphics, repititive gameplay mechanics and mildly interesting story; the music is good though as this is Gust's strong point. I would recommend the plus version of this game on either the ps3 or vita, with cross-save functionality and which improves this game drastically in terms of visuals, gameplay and even fleshes out the story and add extra characters and duggeons and character events.
on 27 March 2014
Too complicated for kids,too silly for older kids.I thought the game might been kind of NI NO KUNI style,it looks like it,it has similar stragedy etc. But the limitation of the places and too much complications with too much reading and guessing,just takes you nowhere.If your child has all day to spare,maybe they will enjoy it.overall the story and the graphic isnt bad.
on 27 January 2013
Very disappointed on first play, mainly with the visuals. This is strikingly like a last gen game, unacceptable when we're almost at the end of this generation. Not that games are only about graphics, but there's a lack of style that you would expect from the concept artwork, a brightness lacking in the colours, or a generally low level of detail. The game changes between styles - pre-canned, roaming, inside houses. There's a jarring difference between the quality here which perhaps is at the heart of the issue.

The game itself is robust enough JRPG-fare. But nothing remarkable. The characters, game world - general hooks for JRPGS are interesting enough, but overall disappointing. We were expecting more.
on 19 September 2012
I was a big fan of the Atelier Iris series and was really looking forward to this new installment. Unfortunately it focuses majorly on time management as everything has a deadline on it. I also spend far too much time just managing my inventory(ies). This is too close to work for it to be enjoyable. I stopped playing the game halfway through. Other than that, it does have the charming graphics and loveable characters that have made this series great.
on 4 January 2014
I bought this one and the 2nd game for my boyfriend for christmas, it had gotten okay reviews and I know he likes anime and cute things like this. my boyfriend and I was however quite unhappy with how dull and boring everything was.

What this game does have however is being really really cute, the japanese voices are spot on and even some of the english voices are reasonably cute too (which is rare!)
VINE VOICEon 7 July 2011
I've played RPGs for over 10 years now, in all kinds of shapes and sizes, so without blowing my own trumpet, I feel that I can give a pretty solid review of these games that will help you decide if it's for you or not.

Having read the reviews before mine, it's clear my opinion is very different, but that's all it is; an opinion!

Before I start, let's just get a couple of things out of the way:

1) If you're after an action-packed 'Final Fantasy-esque' RPG, this is NOT for you.

2) If you want a compelling storyline full of twists and turns, this is NOT for you.

3) If you like combat, levelling-up and experience, this is NOT for you.

OK, still with me? Good. This isn't your traditional RPG, it takes a spin on what most RPGs include as a mini-game: Item-synthesis.

The story revolves around Rorona (the protagonist) who is left to run an alchemy store that is under the immediate threat of being closed down. As such, the story revolves around completing tasks within a time-frame in order to 'prove' that the store is viable, and should remain open.

Exactly, not cutting-edge, is it? The cut scenes are very classically anime, and the cell-shaded adventure sections are pretty typical. The world is NOT particularly large, the levels are not open-world, and the fights are not particularly engaging. The voice acting is passable at best, and the naivety of the lead character can grate.

Consider this as casual as it gets, it's definitely not genre-defining, and in no way a blockbuster title. If you're after something a little different, sure, pick it up, but don't take it for something that it's not!
on 13 May 2014
It's ok as a game, the music and graphics are beautiful, and the storyline is really good, but the system where you have to synthesis so many items to a set deadline is tiring and once I had got past the first deadline only to have the next one shoved in my face made me not want to play it anymore.
If you do like repetitive gameplay with time and date based deadlines, much like the Persona games, then you would probably love this game, but I prefer linear JRPGS where you actually make progress and explore different lands, cities and towns.