5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Little product
Published on 11 Nov 2010 by Mr. R. J. Atkinson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Convinced by this.....
Published 21 months ago by Paul240480

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Little product, 11 Nov 2010
Mr. R. J. Atkinson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stove/stovepipe thermometer (Kitchen & Home)
I bought an Ecofan to get greater benefit and economy from my multifuel stove and for best and safest running of both I bought this neat little stove/stovepipe thermometer. It shows the operating temperature of the part to which it is magnetically attached and so at any time you can see that your stove and fan are operating at the safest and most cost efficient temperature.

A very good buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unobtrusive & useful, 20 Sep 2011
This review is from: Stove/stovepipe thermometer (Kitchen & Home)
This smart and discrete thermometer is a useful guide to see if you're running your stove in the optimum temperature range. Too hot and you'll potentially damage your stove by warping the metal. Too cool and the fumes will condense in the chimney and lead to corrosion. Its proving to be useful guide as to when to chuck another log on. No idea of its accuracy.

No instructions such as where best to place the thermometer. I've put mine on the flue pipe about 6 inches from the top of the stove.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful tool for new & those familiar with their woodburner, 15 Nov 2012
J. Spennewyn "boxer lady" (cambridge, uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stove/stovepipe thermometer (Kitchen & Home)
I've written this as a bit of a guide elsewhere, but have opted to pop it up here to give folk a bit more detail as is evident by one review there is not enough information immediately available to those who do not choose to do a bit of research via various search engines available, positioning is important as it will obviously give different readings accordingly, BUT each persons set up will be different so it's somewhat subjective!

it's the sort of item that's overlooked when an expensive WBS stove is purchased, & will really help you out, ..so don't forget to buy one!
First off I should say i've been messing around with woodburners for more years than I care to remember & frankly this item is a godsend ESPECIALLY for those who are new (ie within a few years of owning a woodburner).

It's an indicator tool (at a glance) & the first thing to remember is that if you have a different coloured stove-pipe then you may need to adjust your reading (in your head) ..as it being / showing a higher output by 10-15% than is shown on the gauge ((ie a silver / plain stainless steel pipe))

What I love is the simplicity, it's thermal expansion (coil) affects the needle over a heating / cooling cycle which enables you to best guage when to re-load your stove before it drops out of the efficient zone, as an additional bonus it makes for another view to reigniting the last of the embers or not.

(As you should only be purchasing an efficient burner, ie in excess of 70% combustion efficiency) & partner it with well seasoned, well dried timber to maximise on heat energy per log) this also therefore serves to give you an idea of how dry your supply is by the way it burns & the output temperature, all valuable common sense indicators..

For instance upon lighting our very efficient modern WBS (woodburning stove) we can see the chimney warm & output rise to an efficient burn within 10 minutes (typically) of lighting.

Modern stoves efficiency comes from "complete burn" compared to the innefficiency of "slumber" ..slow burns which produce more dirt, tarring & general combustibles in your chimney, ..this alone is a good reason to have one as it's use over 4 winters has made for a very clean chimney with minimal soot & therefore mess, not to mention "clean burn" which is good for neighbours & the environment!

Whilst this is magnetic it does come with a fixing wire of which I recommend you use if you overheat your stove it may otherwise drop off (& it will be very hot)!

Every homes stovepipe & chimney set up is different (affecting draw) therefore it's advisable to play around with height of the gauge in order to find where you see yours delivering best (more accurate & trustworthy) readings.

Whilst it does state it can be placed on the stoves body that is often awkward for ease of viewing & not necessarily most accurate, (eg cast iron stove vs steel body stove, heat retaining panels etc) ..so we recommend on the initial straight run of pipe out of your stove (about 14-18 inches above the stove) ..you'll see & find out whats best.

This isn't a mere gadget when set up properly, it's actally quite inspiring & re-assuring, part of my essential kit (along with my bailey sweep brushes).

No tools needed to set up, simply attach when your stove is unlit & therefore cold, tighten (twist) the wire for additional purchase to your stovepipe & adjust over a few nights to find the best most believable reading, whilst using good wood fuel. NOT wet, acclimatised to the room so your stove isn't struggling to burn moisture out of the wood or it will merely eat into the overall output ...important to remember!

For the money I'd anticipate this will last you a bare minimum of 5 yr's upward, so a worst case scenario of £2.00 per year depending on where & how much the purchase price).
Do look around there are 2 or 3 on the market with different markings, some of which are easier to read than others, we opted for the stovax as it seems clearer over a 16ft distance from within it's darkened setting.

These are simple, not a science & very good at optimising the fuel load of your stove.
Would I recommend them YES, I also tend to buy them for friends who opt for a Woodburning stove & invariably are on the learning curve.

I don't think stoves ought to be sold without these, ought to be compulsory as they are so effective providing reassurance as to your burners load requirements, overfiring, well sourced grade A & B (burn type) dry & seasoned wood etc!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Convinced by this....., 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Stove/stovepipe thermometer (Kitchen & Home)
Well, it is early days as my thermometer only arrived today. I stuck it onto my flue pipe at the reccomended height. It slid down. I put it back and it slid down. Eventually it stayed put. Then when I lit the stove later and the flue heated up it slid down and spun round. Now it is sitting the right way up, but will only stay about 5" above the fire. Any higher it slides down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful little device, 16 Jan 2011
This review is from: Stove/stovepipe thermometer (Kitchen & Home)
This seems to be fairly accurate as when it shows the needle in the creosote area, the inside of my stove is sooty but once it moves to the optimum burning bit the soot burns off.
I found I had to have this stuck to the top of my stove rather than the stove pipe though as I have a rear vent on my stove which isn't long enough for this to attach to properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vulcan, 2 Nov 2011
This review is from: Stove/stovepipe thermometer (Kitchen & Home)
I have found this product very useful to get maximum efficiency from my stove. The dial is easy to read and as it is magnetic it can be placed anywhere on the stove pipe.

4.0 out of 5 stars stove thermometer, 13 Jun 2011
This review is from: Stove/stovepipe thermometer (Kitchen & Home)
A handy product very useful for keeping an eye on your wood burner to make sure you keep good temp, and does not run to hot.

5.0 out of 5 stars stove thermometer, 11 April 2011
This review is from: Stove/stovepipe thermometer (Kitchen & Home)
received stove thermometer fixed it to the wood burning stove and it works very well, good service by supplyer will recommend many thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Stove/stovepipe thermometer (Kitchen & Home)
Would have got 5 stars if it had included instruction for the use of!! I know you can find these things out on the web as I did but that is not the point. Having a log burning stove and using it to the best of its intended purpose is a bit of an art and knowing the correct position to mount this thermometer will help you achieve the correct output.

5.0 out of 5 stars seems to work really well, 3 Jan 2013
M. I. MANSOOR "Iceman" (Blackburn) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stove/stovepipe thermometer (Kitchen & Home)
the fitters we got in drilled a hole into our stove pipe stuck a screw in and sealed it with fire cement. we've attach the thermometer to head of the screw. the fitter said this would give us the best reading.

the actual product looked like it came incomplete, however i was assured that this is how they come. it doesn't have a backing just a coil of metal. in the centre a relatively strong magnet. it does work quite well and is really useful as you know when your burning at the efficient temp.

Stove/stovepipe thermometer