5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, and works! Simple and FAST.
I recently (yesterday) removed a 128GB Solid-State hard disk from my laptop and replaced it with a 256GB HDD. I put my old 128GB HDD in this IcyBox and it works perfectly.

I have USB3.0 on my laptop, so the USB3.0 interface with the IcyBox is ideal.

Published on 10 Oct. 2012 by Colin

1.0 out of 5 stars Unstable USB connection - Trash!
Published 17 months ago by Philip Goddard

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, and works! Simple and FAST., 10 Oct. 2012
Colin "(52)" (UK and Azerbaijan) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Icy Box IB-250StU3-BH HDD Enclosure for 2.5 inch SATA Upto 12.5mm Height and USB 3.0 Host (Accessory)

I have USB3.0 on my laptop, so the USB3.0 interface with the IcyBox is ideal.

I did back up all my data to a WD My Passport drive, before removing the old HD, but now I can simply restore what I want, directly from the original HD, using it as a simple external USB disk.

It was simple to mount the HD inside the IcyBox, and the overall appearance is of a professional, quality product.

To install the HD inside the IcyBox, remove the two screws that secure the circuit board, lift it out and plug the hard-disk to the circuit board. put the complete assembly back into the case and replace the two screws.

The USB cable that is supplied with the IcyBox has an additional USB-A plug as a fly-lead additional power source, but so far I have not needed to use it - but maybe that is because my external HD is solid-state.

I have added some photos to the product page to show how easy this is to install.

So, it looks good, worked first time, and I recommend this one if you need such a product.

UPDATE 27th Oct: been reading/copying from the old HD inside this enclosure for the last couple of weeks - no problems, really impressed and happy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unstable USB connection - Trash!, 27 Dec. 2013
Until just a couple of weeks ago I thought this enclosure was just fine, and assumed that the occasional brief automatic disconnection / reconnection episodes that were occurring during drive activity were just a Windows problem - all the more so when the problem became much worse after I'd 'upgraded' from Windows 8.0 to Win 8.1. But then I realized that these glitches were causing me corrupted files and I'd got to get to the bottom of this. One measure I took was to e-mail the very helpful Support Manager at Quietpc.com (who made my PC) to see if he had any ideas about what might be the cause, and any possible solution. In the event he had no immediate solution, but he did, almost as an aside, remark that the problem could well be with the enclosure and not the computer - he had experienced such a problem with one of the equivalent enclosures that they had been selling.

I then looked again at the reviews here on Amazon, and, what did I see? - A small proportion of users complaining of just this problem! I therefore bought an enclosure from a different manufacturer (Inateck), and have had that working for about a week now, without, as yet, any automatic disconnections at all - though, in fairness, it won't get a full test until I next have a productive day's field recording session and then have a whole lot of sound recordings to process. The more disk activity, the more frequent were the disconnections with the Icy Box. Anyway, it looks as though there is a flaw in this Icy Box model, which shows up in some examples, either because of some slight variations in the enclosure or because of compatibility issues on certain people's systems.

One thing my issue was not was a faulty external connection, for I tried disconnecting / reconnecting both ends of the supplied USB3 cable. As I say, it looks like an electronic stability problem rather than a connection one, because of the way the disconnection risk increased with the level of activity of the enclosed SSD. As the latter performs fine in the new Inateck enclosure, I do not suspect it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for reusing old internal drives, 21 Jan. 2013
I've upgraded the internal drive from my MacBook pro from a 5400rpm 250gb, to a 7200rpm 500gb and now to a 250gb SSD. Meaning I've two perfectly good but unusable sata drives sitting in boxes.
Saw these and decided to grab two of them. Used the transfer cable to copy all files from old drive to new SSD, then put the old two drives into these and BAM, i've got two fantastic, usb3 speed, external drives.

Don't think I'd actually buy another external drive now. WAAAY cheaper to by a sata drive and put it in an enclosure!

5.0 out of 5 stars icy box 2.5 hard drive enclosure, 2 Nov. 2012

Brilliant piece of kit, well made and easy to install hard drive. I had a large capacity hard drive so I had to swap out the frame.Just four screws to undo, with the screw driver provided, job done. Power indicator and disk access indicators on the top giving a clear indication that the drive is powered up. I found this easier than the usual disk access light on bought external drives which are usually tiny and hidden on on one of the sides.The blue usb 3 cable is of ample length and sturdy, and a nice tight fit into the case, which means its not going to work loose and disconnect during use. Its also hot swappable.
I had an accident with my verbatim drive when the dog knocked it off and broke the interface off the circuit board, so this was bought to replace it. I'm going to order another right away so that I have a spare on hand. The hardest part of the job was finding out how to remove the drive from the original case.
I cant recommend this product too highly

5.0 out of 5 stars Icy Box HDD Enclosure for 2.5 inch SATA Drive, 10 July 2012
Mr. John Jones "JackTar1942" (Pembrokeshire, Wales) - See all my reviews
Early days for this as I have not yet received the item that will go inside it, which was not in stock! However, having checked out the design and manufacturing quality of this item, I can say that on those points I am well pleased with it. It is designed to take either of two thicknesses of HDD, 9mm to 12.5 mm, and comes with the fittings required to fit these types of drive AND a handy little screwdriver too!. The printed circuit board looks to be well made and fitted and, having plugged it into a USB3 socket as a trial run, I can thus far state that the indicator LED lit up! Yes, the lead supplied IS coloured blue as pointed out in other reviews, but so are ALL of the USB3 leads I have seen recently; mine is a dark blue flat cable and I have no problem with it at all! Beyond that we shall see in a couple of weeks time when my hybrid SSD/HDD unit arrives... I've trusted to luck and given the item 5 stars based on the opinions of other users on here who have praised the enclosure - I hope that my early praise will build up to the FULL 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 27 May 2012
The soldering on the internal main connector looked naff but the pcb was ok.The construction is solid and fitted together extremely well.It has a good finish and looks great.I wanted it for a 12.5mm drive so I had to use the bigger of the two frames.The smaller frame came with a silicon-rubber block to support the USB3.0 socket and I had problems removing it without leaving behind the adhesive(I succeeded by using a curved scalpel blade to gently tease the glue away from the frame).It would have made more sense to leave the block off and have the customer fit it.Either that or supply another! The instructions were inadequate and did not mention that you need to unscrew the pcb(printed circuit board)and swap it to the bigger frame.I'm very technical but most people need clear and simple instructions.I have only just got it so I can't comment further.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for HDDs, not that great for SSDs, 13 Feb. 2015
Christos Stamos (Thessaloniki, Greece) - See all my reviews
Seeing how many purchasers buy this drive for use with SSD drives, I thought it would do well to know that this drive's controller DOES NOT support Trim functionality. That means that, despite the speed being initially top notch thanks to the USB3/UASP support, the SSD speed will degrade over time and you will have no other means of restoring it other than taking the drive out of the enclosure and connecting it inside the PC (so that TRIM will work). Other than that it is a great enclosure for 2.5 inch HDDs. However, users wanting to use this with SSDs should keep that SERIOUS shortcoming in mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars USB3 caddy for 2.5inch HDD or SSD, 4 Nov. 2012
I upgraded my original Intel 80GB SSD with a Samsung 256GB one and bought the Icy Box to accomodate the Intel one as an external drive. Fitting the disk is easy with one caveat: It may be too awkward to plug the SATA connector fully into the circuit board unless you undo the two screws holding the board. The supplied screwdriver fits the screws.

When reattaching the box's cover you may need to press quite hard to make the 4 screws 'bite'. Take care not to scratch the cover. In use this arrangement works very well providing an external SSD which runs silently and cold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, 25 May 2014
Mr. M. Regan - The Regsy "THE man in black" (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Its a little fiddlier than some as it does have 8 small screws holding it all together, but it accepts a variety of hard drives 9.5mm high and 12.5mm high which means you can get a 1tb hard drive in here easily making it excellent as a longer term storage option. I have actually managed to fit a 15mm high drive into mine giving me a 2tb storage device, its not ideal though and I wouldn't recommend it. The USB 3 interface give a good transfer rate, I haven't measured it but its good enough for me.

A very good caddy.

5.0 out of 5 stars HDD Enclosure, 16 May 2014
This arrived before the promised date. Ten minutes from delivery, I had installed a 250MByte HDD, connected it to my desktop and it was recognised and running.
It "Does what it promised on the tin". It runs perfectly. You would need to be hamfisted to break the USB3 socket.
So, well worth paying a little more for probably the best product.
The two frames to allow two heights of HDD to be fitted is a plus.
I shall buy another shortly. What better recommendation can I give? Therefore 5 stars.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›