4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for the casual user
the review highlighting issues around the non adjustable ventilation holes and the fastener at the back is probably looking into things too much.

Published 15 months ago by Mr. D. Thompson

This helmet will protect your head in an accident on the piste. Always use a helmet when skiing or boarding. Alas, the very thin padding lining the helmet and the sharp edge on the neck strap both contribute to it being uncomfortable to wear, and it is not really suitable for daily use in variable conditions for three main reasons.

1. SAFETY. The adjustment...
Published 19 months ago by R. F. Stevens

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Much better than nothing, but not good enough for serious use, 23 Nov 2012
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

1. SAFETY. The adjustment strap on the back is worse than useless and cuts into the back of the neck, the helmet is much better after having removed this strap entirely. If wrongly adjusted the hard edges on this strap could be very dangerous and might injure the neck when the head tips back.

2. There is NO ADJUSTMENT to the ventilation. The product description lies. Your head will freeze solid in the colder weather without an additional skull-cap or balaclava.

3. It does not cover enough of the skull base at the back.

On the positive side;

1. It has the usual adjustments for the chinstrap.

2. There is some thin padding to separate your head from the expanded polystyrene inner shell.

3. There is a goggles retaining strap with a securing popper so they will not be detached and lost on impact.

4. The ear-pads are detachable/replaceable.

5. It claims to meet EN1077 Class B.

It does not help that all the supplied instructions are in German, and I asked a German friend to translate the finer details of them for me. I needn't have bothered as there is nothing useful that is not already obvious from looking at the helmet.

I was hoping this (correctly sized for me) Vine offering would enable me to upgrade from my trusty old Giro G10 helmet that I have been using for the last few years. The Giro (alas now well-worn and somewhat battered from twenty weeks skiing, sometimes too close to the piste) is perfect, and reaches further down the back of the skull without putting any pressure on the neck, and also has a three position slider on top to adjust the ventilation - open for hot conditions, partly open normally, and fully closed for when the chill is biting deep. I will not be using the Ultrasport.

If you do not have a helmet, and are given one of these Ultrasport to wear on the piste it will offer some useful protection, especially if you cut off the badly engineered strap across the back of the neck. But I would never have bought one of these.

There is no substitute for going into a proper ski shop and trying on lots of different helmets until you find one that;
a) fits EXACTLY,
b) is properly safe,
c) is always comfortable, and
d) has full ventilation adjustment.
Pay the extra for a good one like the earlier model G10 Giro - after all it is your own life you are protecting.

Addendum 22nd March 2013.

I've noticed on my ski trips this year that many of the wintersports-hirers are offering helmets of a similar type to their customers, at rates varying from free to about thirty euros. The vast majority of the rental helmets have a back-of-the-neck adjustment, and it was pointed out to me by a couple of friends that most of those using this 'fits-all' style were continually fiddling with that adjustment - not a good sign.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for the casual user, 23 Mar 2013
Mr. D. Thompson "dan" (leeds) - See all my reviews

I go snowboarding for 1 week a year - I used it for 6 days on the slopes. I can find little fault in it for the casual user. Yes the vents are not adjustable but apart from the vent on top they are blocked by the padding so they make little difference in any case. The tightening wheel can feel a little uncomfortable at times - mostly when you tilt your head back - but in six days of wearing, when I was actually on the slope I never even realised I had the helmet on.

This was my first experience of using a helmet and I found pretty much all I needed in this item, its not perfect but fine for the casual user.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good helmet, size guide doesn't work., 8 Nov 2013
Good helmet, lots of key features, but the size guide doesn't work, and dispite trying it on 2 other people with extra large heads, the helmet:

a. Doesn't fit.
b. Looks far too small.

Therefore, if you have a small / medium head. Buy it. If not, you will look rediculous and feel very uncomfortable.

I would recommend the GIRO x-large helmet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizings aren't accurate, 12 Aug 2013
H. Faulkner "HF" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultrasport Ski/Snowboard Helmet Race Edition (Sports)
Bought L for head size 59.5cm but too tight. Other than that it looked ok, first helmet so nothing to compare it to.

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes a good e-bike helmet too...., 25 Dec 2012
Well, I didn't buy it for snowboarding or skiing - I thought it would make a really good winter biking helmet with those ear pads - and I was right. The favourable price for the large size and rapid free delivery made it a serious bargain.

It's a perfect snug fit and doesn't put pressure on the forehead - so many helmets do that and cause a headache if worn for a while. I could wear this for hours and never have a problem.

It's well made too - and it looks good.

It's a purchase I'm delighted with. For the money, it's a steal.

Roger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 Mar 2014
Smart and comfortable. For the money you can't do any better. I would recommend this helmet to any one on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Helmet., 16 Feb 2014
First time i've worn one and was surprised how quickly I adapted. It was very light and fitted well and even though vents are not adjustable managed to be warm in the cold conditions and cool when it got warmer!

4.0 out of 5 stars great value, 15 Feb 2014
I used it skiing this year and it was comfortable to wear. Fortunately I did not have to test its resilience. The chin strap was basic and I needed to wear a neck piece to stop the plastic catch rubbing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 11 Feb 2014
This was a great fit. I have a gargantuan head and this size had more than enough adjustment to make this a tight fit or a comfortable fit.

The whole experience was initially confusing as I never previously wore a helmet, but after a few hours I thought nothing of it and eventually never noticed I was wearing it.

I could happily recommend this helmet, and my friends were quite impressed with it too. Especially at the price

5.0 out of 5 stars Ski helmet, 7 Feb 2014
Ski helmet was at a very good price , fitted well even with ski gogles on , good with remove able ear covers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›