Beauty and the Beast [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£15.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 9 June 2013
As the main English 3D version is no longer available at a reasonable price , I purchased this foreign import. I shouldn't have been concerned about having to select through menus - the default language is English for the 3D version. As it my wifes favourite movie, I'd seen the original several times (and on ice, on stage etc.) but watching on 3D has breathed new life into this classic Disney family movie. While it does not look as impressive as the pixar 3D offerings and I noticed it did not contain the final song "Human Again" found in the special editions; this did not detract from a five star movie experience.
on 11 November 2010
I'm collecting all the classic Disney films (and some non classic Disney) and of all of them... Beauty and the Beast is my favourite! I've been waiting nearly 10 years to buy this DVD. A brilliant film that makes us laugh, cry and yearn for our men to become princes.
on 14 October 2011
This is my all time favourite Disney movie. I bought it as a dvd/blu-ray combi pack and then saw recently that there was a 3d blu-ray available, which I have now bought as well.

The 3d is amazing and brings the film even more to life, the musical scenes just jump out of the screen at you and the sweep of Belle's dress when Beast swings her round in the ballroom makes you duck as you feel the skirt is going to brush your face as she turns.

I have pre-ordered the Lion King 3d now and can't wait for that to land on my doormat in November.

This has always been and always will be a must have film to own.
on 16 June 2014
As I have owned this on vhs since it's release in the 90's I have watched it a fair bit and have loved it as a classic Disney film.
When I got the DVD version I was shocked from the opening scene with the waterfall how bright and clear the colours and picture were which did nothing but increase my viewing pleasure.
I am not to sure that the Human Again segment that has been added adds anything to the film, I suppose if I had grown up with it always being there I wouldn't mind, but I haven't so I'm used to it being removed. Luckily there are 3 versions of the film on the DVD so I'll watch the old one.
The film is fantastic with fantastic songs my favourite is 'Belle' which is sung at the begining when Belle is walking through the town reading her book.
My favourite bit is when Belle thinks Beast is dead and she tells him that she loves him, it always makes me cry.
My one downfall about the film is when Beast is turned back into a human again, I always thought he was quite ugly and looked better as a beast, also we don't get to learn what the Prince's name is because he can't be called Beast when he iss human again.
I also love the bit where Beast sets Belle free to see to her sick father, Maurice, and he gives her the magic mirror to always remember him by.
I don't know if anyone has noticed how much Belle looks like Vanessa from The Little Mermaid, especially in the wolf scene, but then The Little Mermaid was made first and by the same people who made Beauty and the Beast.
I think Belle is one of the best Princesses as she is a strong, educated, determined woman with a loving heart.
on 6 November 2013
Beauty and the Beast is one the most famous book stories. And in 1991 Disney studios created one of their most all time classic that was the beginning of their golden years.

Belle is a girl who is dissatisfied with life in a small provincial French town, constantly trying to fend off the misplaced "affections" of conceited Gaston. The Beast is a prince who was placed under a spell because he could not love. A wrong turn taken by Maurice, Belle's father, causes the two to meet. At first they seem to have none interest whatsoever but more time they get along then more their love feelings for each other starting to grow. Belle starts to see the good heart inside the beast and the beast start learning what love is thanks to his love feelings for Belle. But is it possible for a beauty to love a Beast?

As a kid I fell in love with this movie and now as an adult I love it more, its a movie that is almost free from nit-picks, and mixed with exiting adventure, humour, and romance.

How the relationship between Belle and the Beast is so strong, for the first time I feel real chemistry between 2 lovers in a movie.

The real show stealer is Gaston the Villain. At first he is not a villain but when doesn't go as he had planned then he reveal his true colours, yet people obey him, he doesn't use powers or money (except once) yet people are willingly to obey him and not even question him because he is Gaston, one of my favourite villains of all time.

its a beautiful classic and will live forever and I am sure everybody has seen it and if not, then its a must see and that's my Verdict.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love Disney animation. No matter how many times I watch the old classics, no matter how much older I get, I put in the DVD, sit back, and escape into another world.

And with Beauty And The Beast, we get one of the most magical worlds ever! The Little Mermaid may have kickstarted the period of Disney history often referred to as the Golden Era, but it is this film that established Disney as a true force to be reckoned with again. The artwork is simply sensational! The backgrounds, the brushstrokes, the brilliance of the artistry reaches a level of height perhaps not seen since the release of Lady And The Tramp in the '50's.

The music as well is sublime. Both classic Broadway sounds and mainstream pop elements collide to create music as timeless as it is immediate, and the title song, Be Our Guest and the wonderful score rank as perhaps the greatest in the Disney canon!

I won't go into to much detail, but I will note that the climactic battle is impressive, and puts many more adult fight scenes from cinema to shame. Dark, fast paced, intense and gripping, it disproves the theory that animated musicals are only for little children. Its darker than one might have expected, and perfectly staged.

Fans of The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and The Lion King will find a lot to enjoy. And you know what else? Fans of films like West Side Story, Gone With The Wind and Titanic should also feel at home!

This is fantasy at its most elaborate, a musical of great complexity, a drama of rich depth. As a romance, it is sumptuous, and works on many levels. No wonder this became the first animated movie to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar! And what a travesty to lose out to the overrated and pedestrian Silence Of The Lambs. What robbery!

In the nineties, a plethora of similar animations were released, varying in quality and yet always paling in comparisin. The Swan Princess, Thumbelina, Anastasia...this film had a big impact, and yet its not surprising to note the finest animated musicals continued to be released by Disney. I strongly believe that two of the most overlooked Disney films of the nineties deserve similar recognition to Beauty: the underrated masterpiece Pocahontas, and the bold, dark gothic drama The Hunchback Of Notre Dame. In a weird kind of way, they form a trilogy of superior, more adult animation fare that may appeal more to the child within the parent than the child himself. Of the three, this may very likely be the best.

Disney's Beauty And The Beast is film making of the highest order, and I believe every household deserves a copy of this film. I recently came across a discussion on this site saying the most reliable reviews are the 2, 3 and 4 star reviews, deeming the majority of 1 and 5 star reviews to be both hyperbolic and biased. Rubbish! This is a five star film, and deserves even more than that!

This Bluray release comes with a wonderful documentary that must be watched.
on 7 September 2012
What can I say about this film that has not been said a million times before? With a charming love story, beautiful animation, a cast that is nothing short of memorable and one of the best soundtracks ever produced for cinema, Beauty and the Beast deserves all the praise that it has been given and more. I bought this for Christmas in the year 2010 and I still love this movie, from beginning to end.

But of course I should give some attention to the extras. There are the usual suspects, commentary by the cast and so forth. But the Blu-Ray disc has quite a few interesting features that should be mentioned.

First of, there is the music video for the obligatory pop cover of the titular song. Some of the romance of the original version is absent, but overall it is pretty good in it's own right and far from the worst cover of a Disney song. There is also an alternate beginning from an early version that (while not 100% accurate) leaned closer to the original fairy tale. While an interesting exercise in What Could Have Been, one wonders if this version would have turned out to be half as well-regarded as the final project. Then we have a couple of games, a Backstage Disney feature, a making-of feature called Beyond Beauty, another feature that revolves around composing the soundtrack and some bonus features brought over from the 2002 Platinum Release.

In short, I highly recommend that you buy this. Whether you have seen this before and would like to check it out again or have yet to see it and would like to see what all the fuss is about, you will not be disappointed.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I absolutely adore this film for so many reasons but one of them is the immensely likeable cast. Belle is the perfect leading female for this film, and like all Disney 'princesses', she is gorgeous, has a wonderful singing voice, and is destined to live happily ever after! Paige O'Hara voices the character perfectly, from her rich speaking voice full of emotion, to that gorgeous singing voice which captures the innocence of Belle so well, and is now one of the iconic female Disney voices. There's nothing dislikeable about Belle, she's simply perfect and we love her all the more for it. In turn, Robby Benson voices the Beast, and his gruffness works so well with the softness of Belle, and he has a lovely singing voice too in 'Something There'. The fabulous Jerry Orbach voices the candlestick Lumiere, one of my favourite characters in the film, and is cast alongside the amazing Angela Lansbury as Mrs Potts... you'd know that voice anywhere, and she seems perfectly cast as the caring housekeeper-turned-teapot! Each of the cast take their turns in singing roles, and it all comes together to create one of the best Disney soundtracks.

One great thing about this film is that there is no complicated meaning to find within it, it's just simply about teaching us that love can prevail when you look beyond the other person's appearance, as Belle is able to for the Beast. Beast is convinced that he is unloveable, and as such treats those around him disrespectfully and rudely. Belle is able to show him the error of his ways and through her attitude and friendliness is able to turn him around and show the gentle, loving side she knows is there. It's a tale of true love, and is extremely emotional to watch, even for an animated film. The gentle scenes involving Belle and Beast are so sweet, with the music accompanying them perfectly, and it is a joy to watch from start to finish. Yes, it's convenient that they start off hating each other and it turns to love, but that is part of the magic of Disney for me! Beast's lesson of learning to change for love is an important one - changing for the better, and as Mrs Potts sings... 'bittersweet and strange, finding you can change, learning you were wrong' - I'm sure we could all take something away from that line.
The songs in this film are just magical, and it won't take long for them to be embedded in your musical memory forever! I found myself singing along quietly in the cinema while the main songs in the film played, and I loved them just as much now as I did as a young girl. The movie opens with the brilliant 'Belle', a fairly long musical number introducing us to Belle, Gaston and her village. It's such a happy song, and very iconic for the movie. The wonderful 'Something There' is a duet between Belle and the Beast, with other singing by Lumiere, Cogsworth and Mrs Potts, I particularly love the sequence in the movie for this song, it really shows the change in relationship for these characters. My favourite song, and favourite scene in the whole movie is the absolutely perfect 'Beauty and the Beast', sang beautifully by Angela Lansbury (Mrs Potts). The moment those infamous piano chords hit and Belle emerges in the iconic yellow dress... wow, that is movie history right there, and the audible of the little girls in the audience just made it all the more precious. 'Be Our Guest' is the most uptempo of the numbers, involving the enchanted household objects, and is so wonderful to watch on-screen, full of action, colour and is mesmerising for young children and adults alike... try to avoid singing along to that one!

The animation in the film was flawless, and both Harry and I really enjoyed watching the whole thing. It is the traditional style Disney animation, rather than the CGI of their more modern releases 'Tangled' and 'Cars', but it's perfect as it is. Harry had reservations that it was a film for girls, but afterwards told me he loved the Beast and how Belle fell in love with him at the end. Everything about this film comes together to create a cinematic masterpiece, and became the first animated movie to nominated for the Best Picture Oscar... rightfully so too. There's something magical about watching the beautiful girl fall in love with the Beast, and the magic surrounding them both... no matter how old you, you can't fail to be moved by the movie, especially that tear-jerker of an ending. Every little girl will want to be Belle after watching this, and I could watch that famous ballroom scene again and again. I loved everything about this movie, and the fact it is still so popular 22 years after it's release speaks volumes - amazing Disney at it's best.
on 8 November 2010
Beauty and the beast is a masterpiece, although I have to admit, I'm more excited for the diamond double play pack for the Lion King, due next Autumn, so I'll probably be able to pre-order again in September/October, although there wasn't much point for this film, since it came 5 days after release, and the price didn't change when it was officially released, but YAY all the same. As said before, the bonus feature disc is Blu-Ray, but I would buy this over the DVD alone, because you still get the DVD copy, but with a Blu-ray disc for only a couple of £s more! I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but I thought it was worth investing in a Blu-ray copy because I probably will have one soon (and I can watch it in HD at Christmas when my brother brings his PS3 home :D)and it will take the film to hopefully a whole new level of animated beauty.
One thing I haven't worked out is what exactly the 3 versions of the film are. Of course, when you press play you get 'Beauty and The Beast'...although for those of you who aren't aware, it's an extended version with a new song and scene in it. I wonder if the other versions are just the sing-a-long and the commentary version, or if there are 2 other options I haven't worked out how to find yet.
Oh, and I have to say, the CGI obvious background in the iconic ballroom scene freaked me a bit, since I was sure it used to be drawn, but it still looked good.

All in all, a beautiful film,that adults will enjoy, not just for kids! And don't forget to get it before it disappears back into the Disney vault for another 10 years or so!
SPOILERS!!

This is the Disney film for which even the most rabid Disney-haters have to make an exception, the one in which it all comes together. What makes it happen above all is the music: not just the songs, excellent though they are, but the symphonic use of themes that sweep the whole story along to its ecstatic finale, when the fireworks burst above the Beast's dark, gloomy castle and turn it shining white once again.

This was the first Disney cartoon in a long time to turn outwards from Americo-centrism and celebrate Europe: the loving portrait of France as it stretches towards Germany and turns to wild forests, turreted castles and oak-beamed beer-foaming taverns must go some way towards persuading Americans that there's more to the place than `cheese-eating surrender monkeys'.

What a brilliant idea, too, to replace Beauty's jealous sisters from the original fairy tale with a rival suitor. There's a timely warning against the elevation of shallowness into celebrity in the way that the villagers unthinkingly admire the brash Gaston. A chilling plausibility, too, in the way that high-minded, brainy Belle underestimates him, thinking him a buffoon until suddenly he's putting her father away in the asylum and whipping the villagers up into a mob to attack the Beast. Rat-brained as he is, Gaston swims among the people like a fish in water. In real life, of course, that would be it: the mob would get back with the Beast's head on a pole, Maurice'd be locked up and Belle forced into a life of domestic slavery. But in fairy tales, thank goodness, we get a second chance.

My only real complaint about this film is that the Beast is much more interesting as a Beast than he is when transformed back into a Prince. Why did he have to be disenchanted at 21? Surely a grizzled, Mr Rochester figure would make more psychological sense and be more of a match for Belle? But never mind, be grateful that we live in a golden age of entertainment, where all you have to do to see a more wondrous show than most people probably saw in a lifetime throughout the first few millennia of history is to press the `Play' button.

When will this marvellous movie be re-released??