4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Camcorder
I purchased this after comparing lots of different 'small' camcorders and I wasn't disappointed.
Despite some mentioning that the unit feels to have flimsy covers I still think that it is a great little unit and I personally don't think it feels too flimsy.
I have a full sized hd camcorder, but wanted something to keep in my bag and this is great for that...
Published on 30 Dec 2010 by Elfy

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Video Quality - Delicate Construction
Published on 1 Nov 2010 by Martin A Hogan

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Video Quality - Delicate Construction, 1 Nov 2010
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Panasonic TA1 Full HD Pocket Camcorder - Grey (8MP Still Images, Skype Compatible Webcam, Built In USB) (Electronics)
This is Panasonics answer to the FLIP Video and it surpasses and falls short at the same time. First, the quality of the videos is remarkable. Automatically set at the highest default of 1920 X 1080, on a 4GB card you can record 40 minutes. With an 8GB card, you can record 1 hour and 20 minutes. Honestly, unless you are making a movie project, keep it at the high default, as shorter videos tend to be less boring. The 'menu screen' is very intuitive for both Video and Camera. The camera settings should always be at 8M (8 megapixels/the default) which will give a perfectly fine quality photo. A poster it won't make, but a 10 X 12 is easily possible. The software is very easy to use and one of the best features is the capability to record a video and come back later and extract an individual shot from motion. When taking pictures in low light, there is a button that turns on a bright light that is alarmingly effective. Playback of video and photos is clean, crisp and easy on a nice screen the same size as a Flip Video's. The special effects function allows you to record in 'monochrome', 'sepia' or 'soft skin'. Another very cool feature for real electronic buffs is that this camera has SKYPE capabilities, so if you plug it onto your computer Playback of video and photos is easily done on a good size screen (same size as a Flip Video) you can talk to other SKYPE users.

Now for the not so great features - the construction of the camera. There are three access panels on the sides of the camera for:
1) Battery and SDHC card
2) An external A/V port
3) The USB port for access to your computer.
These are thin plastic pieces that attach only with a thin plastic loop and can easily break. Once in place, they are secure, but this is probably the biggest flaw.

Having to use an external cord to connect the USB port to your computer is just an extra unneeded hassle, but then again, I've been concerned about hanging a Flip Video on a horizontal USB computer port. Like most compact video/cameras, there is a mono microphone and speaker. Not a big deal.

Other important points to make is that you really need an (Secure Digital High Capacity) SDHC card Transcend 8 GB Class 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS8GSDHC6. This guarantees the ultimate in quality and performance. This is the only item not included in the package and they are not cheap.

Watching your videos and photos on your television (flat screen is awesome) or computer is a thrill when you witness the clarity. I do enjoy this camera and feel guilty to give it only 3 stars, but the construction of the access doors, the extra cord for computer connection and the non-inclusion of an SDHC card were the tipping points. Considering the price, it can still be considered a bargain. I suspect Panasonic will release a newer version that will blow away the competition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Camcorder, 30 Dec 2010
On full hd resolution I only get 40 minutes of recording on a 4gb card, which I feel is quite low, but I find the quality is still good on the lower settings, where I can get up to 2 1/2 hours.
Whilst I wouldn't recommend it for recording a full holiday, as a camcorder to have on hand to record those 'moments' in life, I find it is one of the best I have seen and does the job perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera from Panasonic, 20 Oct 2010
Mr. J. D. Higgs (Bedfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought this for up coming step daughters wedding, wanting a pocket camcorder with instant start, hd, and SD slot.
Given the price, I was very impressed with the picture quality, on full HD but also lesser resolutions. What I did not expect was the still camera quality, for 5 mp it was excellent as a quick snap camera. Add to this iFrame format and I am very impressed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but close enough, 23 Sep 2010
I really like this little camcorder. I bought it as a replacement after my previous camcorder broke and it's blown it out of the water on everything but battery life. Saying that, I've ordered a replacement battery (VW-VBJ10) for 5 so it still doesn't break the bank.
It's compact, functional and very easy to figure out how to use without reading the manual. I have no frame of reference for HD, but the picture quality seems good in fair light. Though no relatively cheap camcorder is going to be very good at dusk.
The only place it fell down in my eyes was the USB connection. The little cover for the USB terminal is a pain to get off and can get in the way of trying to plug the camcorder in. I was also disappointed that you can't do anything on the camcorder while it is plugged in and that the USB extension cord didn't let the battery charge at all, though it may just be that I have a faulty cable.
All in all, I feel it was definitely worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little device for the money., 18 Mar 2011
This is a very good little camcorder , picture is excellent for the money in both video and photo modes . Much has been said of it's build quality , i have no problem with it , it's perfectly acceptable for what is'nt intended to be a everyday device . The digital zoom and night light are nice touches and work well. For the money this is a cracking buy and gets my recommendation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 19 Mar 2011
I'll keep this short and sweet. Videos in daylight are nothing short of fantasic and the photos are not to shabby either. The video in lowlight is respectable but in my test it did show some nasty artefacts on the tv and photos are rubbish pretty much as good as the 0.7 megapixel camera on my iPod touch and for a 8 megapixel camera I was expecting it to be a little better but that said it never claimed to be made for photographs so I can't really moan. The flash is little to no use unless the subject in question is very close. One thing it has got going for it is a very good autofocus mode which is able to take very close-up pictures of said subject. It feels a little cheap as all the ports flop about loosely but is very light and has a very modern crisp look. (OK maybe a little longer than I thought).

Any who thanks for reading and wasting 1 minute of your life lol :)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not fabulous, 10 Dec 2010
Was really looking forward to using this little gadget and although picture quality is good and it's really easy to use, I agree with some of the previous comments about the fragile nature of the casing. Not sure what I will do when it comes apart. Also, sometimes difficult to see when it is recording and at the moment can't get the softward to load onto my PC so can't edit what I've recorded.

All in all, average product and I certainly wouldn't buy the same again. Will wait to see how it operates abroad - another potential problem for recharging.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little budget video recorder., 17 Feb 2011
I bought this video recorder for a trip to Sri Lanka, as I realised I really didn't have a good enough video recorder and needed something on a budget.

This fit the bill pretty exactly. A compact video camera which records some good quality HD video. I didn't try the still photo taking and probably won't. I only bought this for the video recording.

Extremely easy to use and set up. I didn't find anything too fiddly when using the camera either.

Sure you have to use an SD card, but I didn't find anything wrong with that. Just makes it easy to be able to store up to 32GB worth of video if i really wanted to!

I did a mixture of recordings on the holiday, everything from boat rides, in the car, people, traffic at night and nature. Everything looks great on my TV and on computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Not be put off by the stupid reviews., 2 May 2011
I almost did not buy this camera after reading the reviews about its build quality etc, but I am so glad I did.
For what this is, a Pocket Camcorder, and for the price it is a brilliant little camera. The build quality is as good as a high end mobile phone and the picture quality is outstanding. OK, if you need to shoot in low light with zoom and image stabilization this not for you, but for Point and Shoot applications it is outstanding. For charging off the PC I use an in-car USB charger or you can buy an iPod type mains charger.

4.0 out of 5 stars little pocket movies, 22 Mar 2011
I purchased this camcorder specifically to record my daughters sports team and was very impressed with how easy it is to use (1 button)- only one problem with the video side of it is I thought I would be able to download them onto my notebook but wasn't able as the storage was too big (wont get technical because I dont know enough about technology, I just had to use another computor to store n play videos) I can put the photos on the notebook which are VERY GOOD and clear for a tiny camera...on the down side the slide across button to open the usb connector is fiddley and that is why I have given the rating 4* as I am nervous this will be the first thing to break on the item ..but on the plus side very affordable.

ARRAY(0xba8d799c)