4.0 out of 5 stars So much more than I expected
Published on 23 May 2011 by E. S. Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars jenny pox
Jenny is unable to touch anyone without killing or injuring them has to cover her hands with gloves for protection. Sadly even her dad cannot hug her when she is upset, not that he is much of a help as he is always drunk.
Published 11 months ago by kerry (my star rating is....)

4.0 out of 5 stars So much more than I expected, 23 May 2011
E. S. Jackson (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book is like Carrie meets the Crucible. It's not for people with a weak stomach but some of the gory and graphic descriptions aren't actually the scariest bits. Ashleigh, Jenny's nemesis, is one of the most terrifying villains I have come across - mainly because people like her really do exist. And that is the triumph of Jenny Pox - though it is a supernatural tale, built on the premise of people with extraordinary powers, it is cuttingly astute about human nature and the behaviour of society in general. The plot builds with a quiet kind of inevitability towards a shocking ending. My only criticism would be the exposition in the last two chapters lost some of the subtlety that the book had displayed up to that point - but that is an extremely minor point and I'm going to buy the next in the series today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
OMG! I thought this was a YA novel. It's not. It's definitely NOT! Drugs, sex (pretty detailed too) and gore. Lots of gore. You wouldn't think it from reading the synopsis would you?

The last 50 or so pages of this book very nearly freaked me out. I don't read horror and this came pretty close for a chapter or two. The twist at the end was totally unexpected and a totally brilliant concept. I will say no more as I don't know what to say without giving out spoilers. I think you should read this book for yourself. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it. There has got to be a sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars suprisingly fabulous, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Started reading this morning, and couldnt put it down, poor Jenny, a lifetime of no touching sounds hideous, and for all her father's faults he was a good man, the opening chapter where he had to hug her through a mask was so sad.
Ashleigh needed a damn good slap. I hated her sooo much.
This is not a young persons book at all, some really good graphic scenes, and yeah the gore made my stomach roll.

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly awesome book!, 24 May 2012
Laura "@ Scattered Figments" (NEATH, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
It would be impossible to review Jenny Pox without thinking about another book about a troubled teenage girl who had some deadly paranormal powers. Stephen King's Carrie (first published in 1974) told the story of Carrie White, a character who was extraordinary and tragic, but who also lacked likeability. It was why she was so powerful. Readers kind of hated themselves for wanting to grab Carrie by the shoulders and shake her! We felt even worse when we realised how her awful her home life was.

There's a lot of Carrie in the eponymous heroine of Jenny Pox. The character's real name is Jenny Morton, but she is given the cruel nickname by Ashleigh, one evil bitch of a villain who knows Jenny's secret. If Jenny's skin touches someone, it spreads a fatal disease. Because of this, Jenny is isolated and lonely. She wears ugly, old fashioned clothes which she has to button up until she looks like a puritanical freak. She has to wear gloves, no matter what the weather. She can't even hug her father or pet her dog. Whereas Carrie White didn't inspire sympathy, Jenny does. When the narrative follows her, we see a lonely girl who is also smart and quirky.

Jenny isn't the only person in her town with a special power. There is also Seth, a boy who can heal injuries, and Ashleigh, who can spread love like Jenny spreads plague. And in the hands of someone like Ashleigh - a marvellously loathsome antagonist - love is far more dangerous than sickness is in Jenny's hands.

This is a book for older readers as some of the content is a tad on the risqué side. However, the content is dealt with brilliantly and it certainly isn't glamorised!

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It is yet another example of a Kindle eBook which had me staying up into the wee hours to finish the story! Jenny was a greatly imagined character. Her power was gross and frightening, but she had a heart of gold. Seth was a great yet flawed love interest who served as a shiny example of how boys can be really dopey when it comes to their man-parts ruling over their sense! And Ashleigh... I honestly wanted her to suffer. She was brilliantly bad.

The conclusion of the book was mind-blowing. I wasn't entirely convinced by the last chapter, but the climax was tremendous! This is the first book in a trilogy, but it works well as a stand alone novel too. Still, I'm sure I'll get my hands on Tommy Nightmare and Alexander Death at some point in the future, and I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts on them too!

For, Jenny Pox, however, a well-deserved four stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Weird and Refreshing Read, 29 April 2011
This review is from: Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Jenny has never been able to touch anyone without killing them.
Ashleigh is Jenny's mortal enemy.
Seth may be the one person Jenny can turn to. He also happens to be Ashleigh's boyfriend.

Jenny Pox is something different in YA paranormal. I think it may be more on the horror side of paranormal, with Stephen King influences (especially Carrie) and some gruesome detailing.

This definitely has to be one of the most well-written indie novels I've read. The beginning of the novel, with the scene when Jenny is little, pulled me in right away and I loved Jenny's character almost immediately.
There's something so charmingly ordinary about Jenny despite her affliction. Her pain and loneliness is incredibly heartfelt and well-written - J.L.Bryan slips in moments that break your heart, such as her reluctant befriending of a stray dog.
The said dog leads Jenny into discovering Seth.
Again, Seth's characterisation is brilliant. The moments when he and Jenny hang out genuinely made me laugh, especially the scene with them at the haunted church on Halloween, it was hilarious. Seth and Jenny fit together perfectly; their romance is honest and authentic, and I loved every time they were on the page together.
Despite being irritated as all hell by Ashleigh (which is exactly how you're supposed to feel) I loved J. L. Bryan's inclusion of her voice in Jenny Pox. She's such an epic and dastardly character; I couldn't help but be in awe of her wickedness - she's the villain of the century!

Jenny Pox moves along at an easy pace, with smooth prose and description so vivid and rancid, my stomach turned more than once, which I guess was the point. The novel is a crescendo of events, leading up to an explosive, `what the hell is going on?!' climax. In a move of pure genius, Bryan then eases the reader down from the `OMGness' of the last few scenes, and introduces the beginning of the answers to the strange powers in Jenny Pox; a montage of beautifully described memories that made me go `ooh that's good'.

Jenny Pox may be supernatural, but the story I think essentially is all about the human good stuff - greed, power, love, hate, loneliness, purpose...

Awesome start to a series. Definitely on my favourites shelf.

Five Huge Stars.

Note: There is violence, sex and scenes of a disturbing nature in Jenny Pox so I'd recommend this for older readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freaky and fabulous, 3 April 2012
Kat (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The first thing I have to say about Jenny Pox is that I was surprised to learn that the author is a man. Now, I don't mean that to be sexist, but as a compliment - he wrote a fantastic female protagonist. The second thing I have to say is that this is probably one of the BEST Kindle freebies I have ever read. And if it's a strategy to get me to buy the rest of the series, it's certainly gotten the next two books bumped up to the top of my wishlist.

The plot of Jenny Pox is just what it says on the box - Jenny is an isolated, lonely girl living with her father and just generally trying to avoid everyone, as anyone she touches immediately breaks out in 'Jenny Pox', a pretty icky disease kinda like small-pox. When she meets Seth, who also possesses a unique power, she also finds the one person that she can touch without killing them.

I loved Jenny - I couldn't help but cheer for her through the whole book, through pain, happiness and anger, and the nastiness of the kids at her high school, the way she cared for her heartbroken and broken father, and her emergence into a more confident and happy girl. And Seth was awesome, especially as the book progressed and he fell in love with Jenny - he was continually looking out for her, and didn't seem phased by his friends pretty much dumping him when he started dating Jenny. And Ashleigh? Ohhhhhh that girl is Evil (with a capital E), manipulative and power-hungry.

The writing makes for easy reading without being overly-simplified. The dialogue was realistic and true to the characters, and several of the little side stories were heart-stopping or majorly creepy.

The ending of Jenny Pox is pretty intense and I loved it! I was flipping furiously through the pages, and literally couldn't put it down until I reached the climax. And although this is part of a series, I didn't want to throw the book (which would be risky seeing as I read it on my tablet!) across the room in cliffhanger-tantrum - instead I was almost satisfied - and I say almost because I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

If you have Jenny Pox on your Kindle, or have a Kindle and can snag a copy - read it. Now. Seriously.

3.0 out of 5 stars jenny pox, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Ever since an incident involving her `power' and the most popular girl in school, Ashleigh, she has been bullied and is a loner, her only friend is her dog, he is a stray so luckily doesn't go too near people.
Jenny really likes a boy at school, Seth, but he is dating Ashleigh. Ashleigh potrays herself as a Christian but I found her character racist and manipulative. Jenny and Seth become friends and both begin to realise Ashleigh's true character. Ashleigh also has a 'power' but she uses this for revenge as she won't let go of Seth that easily. Ashleigh spreads her 'love' and starts to turn the whole town against Seth and Jenny. Part of her evil master plan results in most of the girls at high school becoming pregnant and she enjoys the publicity this gains her as the supposed abstinence group leader.
The book started with a suitably teen storyline but then the theme changed to a more adult storyline (drink, drugs, sex). Also Jenny's character throughout book does not want to be violent but then becomes the total opposite at the books finale(realise there was much to provoke this). I also agree with other reviewers, there were lots of unnecessary scenes to the plot in the middle of the book. Must admit there were pages I skipped though, was glad I hadn't paid for this book. I was disappointed with the books conclusion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Random!, 6 Dec 2012
This review is from: Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is a very random story that sees three people with gifts work through teenage issues. Well it is definately not suitable for young teens and is a little graphic (not in a sexy way!) in some parts and ends oddly. I really am not sure what to make of this book.

It was free...

5.0 out of 5 stars "The best", 8 Sep 2012
This review is from: Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book is fantastic, I loved it. The lovely Jenny wins your heart straight away, it doesn't matter that her power is distructive,you want to be her friend.
The book takes you through all the emotions possible, anger,sadness, happiness, the list goes on and on.....
Please read this book if you don't you have missed " A good one"............

5.0 out of 5 stars Teen horror done properly., 4 July 2012
D. J. Ketchin "living in books" (Edinburgh Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
A compelling and well written account of teen angst, bullying and loneliness mixed with a dash of the paranormal. Jenny is the ultimate introvert - anyone she touches contracts a plague. She cant touch her father - and her mother died from the plague when she was born. Her condition has ruined her life and driven her father to alcoholism. School life can be challenging especially when the lead cheerleader has her heart set on making your life a misery.

Her (careful) befriending of a stray dog cracks her emotional barricade and leads to the discovery that other peoples secrets can be worse than your own.

A very well written book , with equal parts humor, happiness, sorrow and fear. The main characters of Jenny, Seth and Ashleigh are well drawn and easy to understand. The story development is slow at first concetrating on building believable characters and a deeply detailed setting. Without realising you are sucked in. A very heartfelt story full of brilliant moments of writing.