This book has helped to revolutionise my health. I highly recommend it to anyone living in Britian (where you live can be medically significant), who is less than well - particularly if you are suffering from a 'winter' condition like S.A.D. or any chronic or inflammatory condition.
Published on 28 Oct 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Vitamin D books are everywhere.
Similar material to 'Power of Vitamin D' and 'Miraculous Mesults'. So I would call this book good but not great. As I had just read the other two I felt a bit overloaded by a third one and found I was revisiting material too often and only skimmed parts of it. If I had come to it first perhaps I would have been more enthused.
Published 6 months ago by pracrichard

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-researched, well-written, easy to read and potentially life-changing, 28 Oct 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars This could be true and worth reading as my experience backs some of this research., 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Vitamin D Revolution (Kindle Edition)
I have taken vit D combined with cal and mag for years. Recently adding some K2. My logic being, that having worked on an orthopaedic ward that I didn't want to end up with a fractured femur after the menopause. However something else has happened. Following a epidemic of influenza a couple of years ago I was the last man standing. I watched my colleges go down one by one and knew that it was eventually going to get me but it didn't . Following on from this it dawned on me that I'm never ill. I've not had a cold for over fifteen years and my annual bouts of tonsillitis have also long gone. I casually mentioned this to a person who was talking about how nutrition can help us with our immunity. She immediately asked if I was taking vit D. When I said I was, for prevention against loss of bone density after the menopause, she told me that was the reason why I didn't get ill. So this book backs up this theory. It would be great if it prevented all the other things mentioned as that would mean that I unwittingly have set my self up for a healthier life in my old age. I am now wondering, if at 52, that my ability to be more active than many of my friends is also down to vit D. This has the added benefit of saving me from the dreaded middle age spread. I don't mean going to the gym every day. I never go there. I just seem to be able to do more on less sleep. Who knows ????

5.0 out of 5 stars a great little book, 12 Nov 2009
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
[2012 WARNING: None of the books on the benefits of Vitamin D3 warned about the need to also take vitamin K2! I have to wonder how all these self-claimed vitamin D3 experts, who also claimed so many successes, were ignorant that vitamin A (it seems most of us are deficient in this vitamin too), vitamin D3 and vitamin K (in the form of K2) must come together in balanced proportions. If you take calcium and vitamin D but are deficient in vitamin K, you may be increasing the risk of a heart attack.

Vitamin K is essential not only for preventing potentially deadly blood clots but also for bone building (including delaying tooth decay) and maintenance. Perhaps most important - K has powerful anti-cancer effects. It is known to be helpful for cardiovascular disease, varicose veins, brain health problems, including dementia and even prevents infectious diseases such as pneumonia. Some claim that most people need daily vitamin D3 of at least 2000 IU with 3000 IU of vitamin A and 100mcg of vitamin K2. The synergy between them is vital as there is evidence that the safety of high dose vitamin D is dependent on vitamin K, and that vitamin D toxicity (although very rare with the D3 form) is actually caused by vitamin K2 deficiency.

Also worth reading: "Primal Panacea" by Thomas E. Levy which explains that vitamin C is just as important for bones and very important for heart disease. In addition, vitamin C is uniquely suited to kill pathogens, neutralize toxins and supercharge the immune system.]

Of the books on vitamin D I've now read, this is a good one.

Of the other books, "Vitamin D Prescription" by Eric Madrid is also good but harder to find and more expensive. "The Vitamin D Cure" by James Dowd is not basic, comprehensive or practical. Then there is "Vitamin D" by Michael Merrill which was too brief and simply inadequate. At the other extreme is the comprehensive but somewhat technical "Sunshine and Vitamin D" by Frank Murray - mainly brief compilations of hundreds of studies but no practical guidelines, so not really suitable for the layman who wants to experiment with high-dose vitamin D.

[P.S. Of the books out in the first half of 2010, "Vitamin D" by Rona and "Power of Vitamin D" by Zaidi are both brief but quite good and the one that is now my favourite pick is "The Vitamin D Solution: A 3-Step Strategy to Cure Our Most Common Health Problem" by Holick. It is a practical and easy read. At 300 pages I also found it thorough. I liked that it straightforwardly explained that sunshine, when it shines strongly enough, is always better than supplementing with Vitamin D.]

Khalsa is both a clinical professor of medicine and a naturopathic doctor. His sincerity and genuine desire to help you shine out. This book is much more simply and clearly set out than most of the others mentioned, and includes the differences between the three forms of vitamin D (D3 is the important one), the pros and cons of getting vitamin D from sunshine or tanning beds, which vitamin D test you/your doctor should use (and why), and several careful pages on dosage. The aim was to help you to help yourself, whereas other books are keen for you to consult a doctor. I felt immediately able to apply the information from this book.

It's also worth noting that over a decade ago several books were already lauding the much-overlooked benefits of sunshine, the best way to get vitamin D, although the further away from the equator, the less effective. Anyone living above the 35th parallel (England runs from the 50th upwards) is highly likely to have a sunshine/vit D deficiency that can also lead to many common symptoms. (Those who react badly to Vitamin D and/or sunshine may have a rare disease called sarcoidosis.)

According to this book, vitamin D can cure 17 types of cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, bone density issues, arthritis, flu, muscle pain, fatigue, chronic pain, seasonal (and other) depression and various autoimmune disorders. Perhaps it's just my cynicism from decades of reading endless books singing the praises of so-called miracles such as DMSO, MMS, DHEA, vitamin C, magnesium, iodine, omega 3 EFAs, breathwork, oxygen therapy, hydrogen peroxide, water, thyroid hormone, adrenal hormone, liver cleanses, detoxes, fasts, exercise, neutralising electromagnetic stress, juicing, mangosteen, noni juice, superfoods, organic foods, wholefoods, celiac diets, dairy-free diets, veggie diets, protein diets, carb diets, food combining, acid-alkaline balancing diets, Glycaemic Index diets, high fibre diets, raw food diets, candida/fungus elimination, parasite cleansing - oh dear, the list of my gullibility seems endless.

Yes, I've tried all of these; yes, thoroughly and sometimes repeating them in various combinations and on each occasion with enthusiasm and bright-eyed hope but I saw no measurable benefits. "Trick and Treat" by Groves explains in detail just why my efforts were doomed. Nowadays, when I read about health wonders, I wonder how many claims of success are made up or at least tweaked - and I wonder what proportion of actual patients were successful in any way, much less miraculously so, as is always claimed by books touting miraculous benefits.

Further part of the P.S.: Few of the authors, including this one, seem to be aware that many with chronic health problems may need to take the activated form of vitamin D called calcitriol. I was startled to learn - from the Holick book which I read months later - that about a third of the population has kidney disease (which never gets diagnosed until too late), about the same number who are obese (hello... anyone making a connection here?) and that their bodies may not be able to produce enough activated vitamin D.

Based on my personal experience of taking 10,000iu daily of vitamin D3 for 6 months (but Rona's book mentions Norm Shealy, a physician who has taken 50,000iu per day for 18 months), I'm not convinced that vitamin D supplementation is a panacea, as so many of the books are claiming - and I am not convinced that all these authors got the unanimously fantastic results they allege. I believe that vitamin D supplementation at 5,000ius daily is beneficial but too many such books have a way of sounding a little overzealous, attributing every malady to whatever deficiency they're tackling and proposing it as the magic solution across the board. Further, not one of these books on vitamin D explains that vitamin D cannot work without magnesium, and that anyone with a chronic health issue is magnesium deficient, as explained in "Treatment Essentials" by Dr Mark Sircus.

LATER NOTES: I eventually was diagnosed, by a metabolic specialist, with severe adrenal dysfunction and serious low thyroid issues. The thyroid issue had been getting worse for 2 decades, whilst "standard" medicine denied I had either, repeatedly assuring me all their tests "proved" this. Turns out you have an 80% likelihoode of one or both, if you have a chronic health issue. - thyroiduk[dot]org[dot]uk offers a list of the very few thyroid sympathetic doctors in this country.

It's also worth knowing about "The Calcium Lie II" an intriguing book plausibly claiming to explain the root cause of most illnesses and which shows how taking calcium with vitamin D is actually dangerous and that the increased cancer and medical problems related to "vitamin" D hormone deficiency are more likely related to D hormone suppression from intracellular calcium excess thus leading to adrenal suppression with a resulting increase in illnesses.

5.0 out of 5 stars very informative, 23 Jan 2010
Very informative book and being a qualified Doctor I trust that what he says he genuiely believes. Also he is always crystal clear about what is sceintifically proven, as opposed to scientificaly possible or at this stage purely anecdotal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little book with a lot of information!, 3 May 2011
There are quite a few books on this subject so it was not easy to choose one to get started. Knowing the importance of Vitamin D in one's health I felt I needed to know more about it in order not to make mistakes and the fact that doctor Khalsa bases a lot of what he says in his long professional experience appealed to me. Still.... I intend to read one or two more books on the subject so that I can compare notes.

I have to confess that I had no idea just how life changing Vitamin D can be. It can play a role in many illnesses like cancer, mental illnesses, cardiovascular health, bone, chronic pain, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, sinusitis and more. Dr. Khalsa tells the reader how he treats his own patients and gives a lot of practical information like when you make the most vitamin D from the sun according to the place where you live, your age, the color of your skin, the quantities of vitamin D supplements to take in order to optimize health, toxicity, etc.

Interestingly enough he says that at that time (and this book is quite recent), top researchers were trying to have the RDA augmented but.... as I understand it, the RDA for most supplements is going to be reviewed on the down, not up. As far as fortified foods go I think that we have a lot less of that here in Europe which is good. How can you monitor what foods people eat and how much? Better each person who needs a supplement takes it, I think, it is time people were treated as responsible adults again!

There is a very interesting subject in this book, the fact that one day doctors could be sued big time because inexpensive, harmless supplements have been available forever that could cure a lot of ailments, only the authorities in the matter don't quite seem to care. Just imagine a much healthier world due to substances like vitamins? And how much money wouldn't that save? But well, big companies wouldn't make as much money either and that is maybe the big problem!
This is a small book but full of very useful information and there is a site related to it where you can discuss matters further, as the author encourages interaction. His writing style is very easy to read so I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the subject!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 14 Dec 2010
This book has made such a difference to both my life and that of my dog.

Before reading this I had no idea that Vitamin D was so lacking here. I was barely able to walk a few hundred yards a year ago, now since supplementing with high dose D3 I'm walking 2 or 3 miles a day again!

My dog was diagnosed with arthritis in her spine about 6 months ago, since I started her on high dose D3 she is livelier than she has ever been, running more, much more agile - it's clearly making a big difference to her too.

Buy the book, read, learn and buy D3, you won't regret it. I don't normally buy supplements but this is an exception.

Thank you Dr Soram for an understandable book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 21 Jan 2010
Douglas (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
The start of the book reads like one of those long adverts you find on the internet trying to sell you something and to some extent this is what is happening. The information regarding vitaman D and it's uses though, is excellent. Certainly worth a read but don't pay top dollar!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 31 Jan 2010
An interesting book and well worth the money. It certainly gave me food for thought concerning my Vitamin D levels and how easily we can lack this vital chemical.

4.0 out of 5 stars The vitamin D Revolution, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: Vitamin D Revolution (Kindle Edition)
Excellent. Gave me lots of information that enables me to have greater control over my long term health. A must read for anyone who really wants to understand how important Vitamin D is.

5.0 out of 5 stars informative book, 11 Jan 2010
Well writen book which allows you to decide on the correct levels of vitamin D required for optimum health.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›