on 16 April 2012
Just over 8 weeks ago, I bought this item specifically to use as a backup device when photographing long projects in remote areas. Having just completed one such project, I have now returned the item to the supplier, very disappointed, and asked for my money back. Here is why:

There are a number of basic systemic problems with this device:

1. When selecting a folder in the Browser, Picture thumbnails on the Picture Wall appear in random order! Here is an example: My image files (RAW) are named successively, usually 4 letters (DSCF) followed by 4 digits, for instance 3304, 3305, 3306, 3307 etc. - in the picture wall they appear in the order of 3304, 3327, 3328, 3308, 3330, 3310 etc. The same, wrong order is maintained when viewing the pictures full screen
When I look at the files lists, in File Manager or the Browser, they all appear in the correct successive order - the problem only arises when viewed on the Picture Wall or full screen.
This makes no sense and, as the device cannot display images in order, or do a basic file "sort" in the Browser, it is absolutely impossible to compare and edit/delete images taken directly one after another, as they are scattered all over the Picture Wall.

I have tried to "sort" files in File Manager - this makes no difference in the Browser.

2. Only in the Picture Wall of the Browser can I navigate by "scrolling" through images, holding down the rocker switch (directional pad). Elsewhere, eg. in the File Manager, it is impossible to "scroll" - if I need to move from a file at the top of a list to a file at the bottom of the list, I need to click individually on each file successively to navigate downwards (the same applies in reverse when navigating upwards within in a folder). Having hundreds of images in each of my folders, navigation can therefore be extremely time-consuming having to click hundreds of times to navigate through a folder. Surely "scrolling" is as basic a function as copy/paste and should be possible in any mode.

3. In File Manager, there is no way of selecting "all files" inside a folder through a simple menu option - instead, again, all files have to be clicked on individually to be selected. Therefore, when I want to move all files from one folder to another folder, I have to spend an enormous amount of time selecting them individually. Totally impractical.

The supplier I returned the item to, has tested and checked my device and found it not to be faulty - the described issues are the same with all other Hyperdrive devices he has currently in stock.
I can therefore only assume that there are some very basic design flaws in the firmware/software. The firmware version in my unit was ".39" (which appears to be the latest firmware available)

Unfortunately, the problems described above make it impossible to use the Hyperdrive in a meaningful and efficient way.

It would also be very useful to have some kind of cover for the memory card slots - as they are, dirt and dust creep in rapidly.

Having said that, there are quite a number of reasons why I like the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA very much: The long battery life is very impressive (most useful when shooting projects without access to mains electricity), the backup speed from memory card is great, solid build quality, the "incremental backup" facility is a real treat.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 28 June 2012
Not had this machine long, I bought it a month ago for a planned epic photo trip to Japan in October. Still finding my way around it, I tried it out for the first time last weekend on a trip to Belgium. And although it did download my 1000+ RAW files in good time, when I tried to review the files, the machine simply froze and wouldn't turn off. Rather foolishly on my part, I omitted to bring the small screwdriver provided for taking the back off to disconnect the battery, and frantically had to resort to crudely using a penknife for this task, in the meantime the battery was heating up. Fortunately no damage was done, but I have since then deliberately left the screws out, as this machine has crashed again. Despite my trauma the machine still works and does what it says on the tin, so far....
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again