5.0 out of 5 stars The best electric shaver ever ?
I have been using electric shavers for over 30 years, and during that time tried all of the "big names" - Philips, Braun, Remington - and yet always felt that none of them really gave as good a shave as a blade, yet all did avoid the bloodletting, that for me was inevitable when using a razor.

My last shaver finally showed signs of it's oncoming demise, so I...
Published on 5 April 2011 by Davip P.

3.0 out of 5 stars good shave, other aspects flawed (updated)
I use this shaver to shave my head every other day. I bought it to replace a six or seven year old philishave rotary shaver, so that's my benchmark for this review. Overall, the shave is faster and better, but the overall experience of this product is more mixed.

Published 20 months ago by Mr Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars The best electric shaver ever ?, 5 April 2011
This review is from: Panasonic Premium ES-RF31 Wet and Dry Four-Blade Men's Shaver (Personal Care)

My last shaver finally showed signs of it's oncoming demise, so I set out to do some solid research on what the current technology in shavers offered. During this extensive research I kept coming back to the fact that Panasonic users didn't have a bad word to say about their experiences with their shavers.

I reflected that both my flatscreen TV and camera were manufactured by Panasonic, and I was delighted with the performance of both of them, so why would their shavers be any different?

So carrying on my research further, now limited to Panasonic shavers only, I came up with a mid range product that was being offered by Amazon at virtually half of its RRP - could I really go wrong???

History proves that I didn't !

I have been using the ES-RF31 as a dry shaver every day for a month now - have not felt the need to try using it in the shower. During this time I have only needed to recharge it once, and after you get used to the large shaving head it consistently gives the best shave I have ever experienced from an electric shaver. Incidentally my wife concurs with this

I would recommend not going for the more expensive versions that have fancy cleaning systems, and hence cost a lot more, because this product is just so easy to clean with the brush (supplied) and every week or so under running water.

Panasonic - GREAT PRODUCT !
Amazon - GREAT PRICE !

5.0 out of 5 stars The best shaver I've ever owned, 10 Aug 2011
In my 35 years of shaving I've owned every type of electric shaver there ever has been: foils of various makes, a quirky Grunding "cylinder" shaver and more recently Philishaves including a couple of Cool Skins. After getting fed up with the slow shaving time and poor quality shave of my last Philips Speed (not!) XL triple track rotary, I eBayed that (who would ever buy a second hand shaver?) and, having decided to go back to foil shavers, bought one of these.

I have to say this is by far the best shaver I've ever owned. It's is quiet (for a foil shaver, which will never be as quiet as a rotary) and extremely comfortable on the skin (unlike the brutal but effective Remimgton Microscreen TCT2 I used briefly before buying this). The best part is that the four foils/cutters give a really close shave, which coupled with the powerful motor also means a fast shave; no more than 3-4 minutes on 2 days' growth. I'd say you get the closest shave wet shaving with gel or foam, but it's not worth the extra effort over using it dry with a pre-shave oil; the difference is minimal, both ways give a very close, comfortable shave. Battery life is excellent: I've just got a month's use out of one charge, shaving usually every other day so it has quite a lot of work to do then, probably about 18-20 shaves on one charge.

The only minor criticisms are that when shaving your finger naturally rests on the trimmer release button, causing it to kick in inadvertently, so you need to make a conscious effort to park that finger elsewhere; also replacement foils & cutters are expensive but these are claimed to last for one and two years respectively.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best electric razor I've ever used, not quite as good as a safety razor but nearly there., 15 April 2011
G. Wake "gregwake" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used an electric razor for the past fifteen or so years, I've had a number of them from a couple of different brands but this is the first Panasonic I've had and it's brilliant. Shortly after shaving this feels as good as using a safety razor, it does take a couple of passes with the shaver to get rid of all the hair and I find my stubble comes back earlier in the day than with my safety razor (it still takes several hours) but the lack of hassle is worth it. I love this razor. It's even easy to clean and the clear plastic top does a good job of protecting the foils without being fiddly to remove or fit.

I suppose a slight drawback is this unit does not use a regular shaver wire, but has a mains adapter (still with a two pin shaver plug) and a special socket on the bottom of the shaver so it's one more thing to bring with you when you're travelling. Having said that the battery does last for a long time (I've been using it for two weeks and the LEDs on the front still show 'hi' for the battery level) so you may not need to take the charger with you on every trip.

In the box you get the razor with integral battery, cover for the top, mains adaptor, cleaning brush and soft bag. Thankfully Panasonic have used a proper cardboard box and not some plastic bubble that will shred your fingers and you can always put the unit back in its box if you need to.

3.0 out of 5 stars good shave, other aspects flawed (updated), 16 Nov 2012

Compared to the philishave, the panasonic shaves my head (which is fairly large and thick-haired) in about half the time, and to a noticeably smoother finish. It is also better on longer hair (3 or 4 days). That's the good part.

The first downside is that the panasonic is messier - it doesn't collect the cut hair nearly as well as the philishave and takes longer to clean (I have discovered that if you clean it with water just before use rather than after you end up less covered in cut hair).

Charging is also an issue. The philishave got about 45 minutes shaving from a charge, and the panasonic is similar, but the philishave gave plenty of warning as the battery got low, and most importantly could be used while charging. The panasonic seems to go from showing full charge to running out quite quickly, and can't be used while charging, which means either charging it every time I use it, having a back-up shaver for when the battery runs out, or being prepared to wait an hour in mid-shave for it to recharge.

I can live with the messiness, so if the charging issues could be solved this would be a five star review, but they do make ownership of the shaver more annoying than it needs to be.

EDIT - the Panasonic is also a lot higher-maintenance. The foils are quite fragile and expensive to replace (around 40) and in less than 6 months I've seen a noticeable deterioration in shaving performance to the point where it isn't much better than the old philishave.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best shaver around. Makes it almost worth learning German for the spares., 14 Feb 2011
If you can't cope with that, you'll end up with an expensive paper weight after a year.
[I have now updated this review and changed the rating from 2 to 4 stars because there are spares available from Panasonic Germany.
Only 4 stars, because this is still not as convenient as getting the spares from a UK supplier.]

Make no mistake. This is near enough top of the range as far as Panasonic shavers go, and performs as good as those at twice the price. And if you're a long time user of Panasonic shavers like me, you'll know that means really good indeed. So, why is it this cheap now?
I can see only one reason: a complete lack of spares.
After a year, you will need to change the foil. After two, you'll also need a set of inner blades. All my Panasonics have lasted through two changes of inner blades -- that is, over five years. I have yet to find someone who sells either foils or inner blades for this model -- and that includes Panasonic's own shop.
I thought it might be a grey import from US and checked the US sites. Same result: no spares.
Even the world's favourite tat bazaar auction site sells plenty of these shavers, but again, no spares.
Who knows? Maybe these are being imported from Japan. But by the time I've learnt Japanese and paid the postage and the import duties, I might as well go for the more expensive UK/European models.
If I could have laid my hands on a reliable source of spare foils and blades, I would have given this ten stars out of five. It really is that good. As things stand, though, we (and our landfill sites) will be better off with models that have readily available spares.

4.0 out of 5 stars great shaver but steep learning curve, 19 Oct 2013
After using this shaver for 3 weeks I can now confirm that it gives a good close shave - as good as a wet shave. 5 stars for the shaver design then. However, it has required a lot of researching websites (shavers.co.uk etc) to find out how to get the close shave.

The first shave was not good. It turns out that swapping from a wet razor (Wilkinson Sword 4 blade), I had to allow the top layer of skin on my face (which is removed every time you wet shave) to grow back. Sure enough, after a week of electric shaving things did improve.

Next issue - how to use the shaver. The great thing about this shaver is that it is completely waterproof so you can use it in the bath or shower, just like a razor. As with a razor/wet shaving I am finding that prepping my face with plenty of hot water softens the bristles, and I can then apply shaving cream etc. I have found drying my face and applying Lab Series pre-electric shave works best. I shave against the grain, as recommended. Shaving requires a lot of going over the same spots, particularly on the neck, but is not causing me any razor burn or soreness (I think the pre-electric shave + softened bristles are helping a lot here).
The shave is really close and the pre-electric shave leaves my skin feeling nice and soft.

After shaving it is easy to dab a little shower gel onto the top of the shaving head, switch on the shaver and wash it out under the shower - job done.

Once a week I am cleaning the shaver with Braun Cleaning Spray to keep everything running smoothly.

The shaver holds its charge for about a week, shaving once a day, and then needs roughly one hour to re-charge.

So why only 4 stars? I think Panasonic just need to explain a bit more about how to use their product. Maybe add some anecdotes on their website and explain what types of shaving products can be used either wet or dry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive wet and dry shaving, 28 April 2011
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this for my brother, whose beard tends to grow in thickly, heavily and quickly. He'd only tried a rotary shaver before and found that such an unpleasant experience that it put him off using electric shavers.

This Panasonic Premium Wet and Dry shaver has changed his mind. He finds that it works quickly and neatly, both wet AND dry. The cut is perhaps less close than he gets with a manual razor, but given that he needs to shave twice a day to maintain a clean-shaven appearance this is a neater and more practical option, which tends to leave his skin much less nicked!

The razor is, as you would expect from Panasonic, extremely well made. It's light, effective, has good battery life and is extremely well-priced on Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars A top class product, 26 Mar 2011
marcoscu "marcoscu" (Chorley,UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to confess that I have never been a great fan of electric razors, usually I find that it takes an inordinate length of time to get a decent shave and in so doing my face always ends up chapped and burned. At the end of it the shave is usually inferior to that of even a cheap disposable wet razor.

So I was very pleasantly surprised by the shave I got from this electric razor. Whilst still not as close or as rapid of that from a good wet razor nevertheless it produced a good clean shave without burning my face. The shaver is easy to hold and manipulate and does not get too warm in use and the battery life seems goo also. It is a well made and product and has a classy and up market feel to it. Whilst it is by no means a cheap product there are many rivals out there at twice the price or more. I doubt that they could be substantially better than this one.

I would be happy to recommend this shaver even to a dedicated wet shave user

5.0 out of 5 stars panasonic es rf31 4 head., 20 Sep 2011
Similar esperience to other users. I had a philips three head for several years. The panasonic takes a bit longer to shave with but is a closer shave, It is a bit more fiddly to clean but not a big deal. Pleased with the razor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds my expectations, 14 Mar 2011
I have owned a previous Panasonic shaver for 8 years, and it was still working very well. Unfortunately I have dropped it from 1.5m height and its knives mechanisms shattered.
For replacement I have gone for the same brand based on the quality of the previous one and the reviews here.
The new shaver is very effective, even on the neck area. I've been always shaving dry. It is lighter and it seems like the battery is going on for ever on a charge. The shave is effortless.
Highly recommended brand and good value if sourced carefully from internet sources (even with continental power supply)