5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Sound!
Published on 14 Jan 2011 by Mark Collacott

3.0 out of 5 stars Good earphones, shame about the remote.
[Update] This review applies to the MM70s version for non-Apple devices. The MM70i includes digital volume buttons which I have not tested.

I have been a long time user of Sennheiser earphones, but until buying these I had not purchased their smartphone compatible models. I have mixed feelings about this model.

The audio quality from these...
Published 7 months ago by Jack

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Sound!, 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: Sennheiser MM70i In-Ear Headset with Smart Remote and Mic for Apple Devices - Black (Electronics)
Had the Sennheiser MM70i earphones delivered today, and I am very pleased. They look fantastic. Included in the packaging are 6 sets of ear canal sleeves. There are two types and each type has three sizes (large, medium and small). It is very important to try them all to find the size and type that best suits you, for sound and comfort. It is important to ensure you use the correct size. If the sleeve is not correct then the earphone will sound very poor and tinny. When correctly fitted, that is when these earphones come into their own. The sound is fantastic. The bass is superb (particularly in comparison to the standard Apple earphones I was using before), without deteriorating the treble. The sound is crisp for music, and also when on calls.

It comes with a remote. The standard features are included (volume control, music on/off, answer/end phonecall). Also it allows you to use voice control (on my iPhone 4), and also to skip forward or back a track. Two quick presses to skip, and three to go back. (But the first three presses it will return to the start of the current track, so you need to press it six times to go to the previous track).

Also included is a small leather (or leather substitute!) pouch, with a protective widget (not sure what to call it!), which you can plug the earphones into and then wrap the cable around before placing in the pouch, so that they are protected.

Well worth the money (purchased at Amazon prices that is, and not the Apple store price!). My only reservation is that I had a pair of Sennheiser earphones a couple of years ago and the right earphone stopped working after about 6 months. From the Amazon reviews this seemed to be a common problem. I am hoping that this problem has been rectified for this model. Judging by the reviews, so far so good.

Five stars for me, as long as I don't encounter the same problem I did with my last pair!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing audio that works with Android!, 15 Nov 2010
I purchased these to replace my 3rd set of Skull Candy Full Metal Jackets; and I am incredibly impressed with them.
The sound quality is fantastic, and they are very good at silencing the outside world; allowing me to hear just my music and not the train. The bass response is impressive and is yet to disappoint me.
The build quality seems good, the headphones feel robust and the rubber caps seem secured well. The remote is very responsive and well positioned for when you need it.
I use these headphones with both a Google nexus one (android) and also with my iPad, and I am pleased to say the music controls works well with both; however there is no volume control on the nexus one - however I do recommend them for anyone looking to upgrade their Android headset as the music controls will work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good earphones, shame about the remote., 12 Dec 2013
Jack (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

The audio quality from these appears to be identical to the CX400 on which this model is based, they have a good bass response from the dynamic driver but lack clarity in the upper and mid ranges. I primarily listen to audio books on my tube commute through London every morning and this would be an issue if it wasn't for the excellent sound isolation provided by the various ear buds included with these; I find the large double flange silicone buds perfect for my ears.

What lets these down is two-fold: First the remote control has an analogue volume slider which travels less than 10mm making any fine volume control virtually impossible and leaving you to use the digital volume on the phone instead. To compound this, I found that in the intermediate positions the slider did not attenuate both channels by an equal amount requiring constant fiddling to get an equal level in both ears.

Secondly, Sennheiser have chosen to use an asymmetric cable design so as to keep the microphone in proximity to your face, the remote hangs below your left ear and the cable running from the remote to the jack plug is very short. I found this to be a problem as I tend to keep my phone in my right trouser pocket and often found the left earphone being tugged uncomfortably and dislodging itself at the expense of sound isolation.

My last criticism of these is based on reports I have had from the recipients of phone calls I have made while using the in-line microphone; they have reported significant background noise particularly in the high.mid frequency region which did not seem to be the case with the Samsung supplied earphones I had used previously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the many over the MM50i, 6 May 2011
Worth the many over the MM50i. It's not always clear in the product documentation but the MM70i has 3 buttons at the microphone providing more controls options. I had the MM50i and it broke as the strain relief is not very good at the jack. MM70i has better strain relief.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Fault Them, 23 Oct 2012
E. Smith (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These come with 6 different sizes of earplugs, actually 3 sizes, each in 2 different shapes, so you're bound to get something that fits well.

I'm no sound expert, but to me these have a very clear sound and probably due to the shape of the plugs you seem to get less outside interference without turning up the volume as much as you might on other similar earphones. They're very comfortable to wear and the simple remote control works well, even on a Galaxy S2, so it's not just for iphones.

They're in a different league compared to the usual junk you get with your phone and well worth the extra investment, especially as you can obviously use them on other devices. If you're going to splash out on better earphones, you might as well get a good pair that sound good, are practical and that will hopefully outlast your phone or ipad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best iPhone headphones available, 17 Feb 2011
I think these are possibly the best headphones for iPhones around (and I have tried quite a few). You need the remote, and I don't find it harder to use than any other one on the market (these things have to be small after all). The sound quality is very high. Very clear, even on the tube. I use Dr Dre Beats for real quality and bass but these are better and more practical for every day use. And the winder plus pouch is a nice and useful touch. All in, the best balance I have managed to find.

5.0 out of 5 stars practically perfect, 21 Oct 2012
Daniel Dalton - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Here's the antidote to silly, over ear, inflated, fashion headphones. These are small, beautifully made, silent to the outside world, yet deliver a rich, sweet, heavy sound in sublime comfort, thanks to the 6 pairs of variable sized ear pads that come included. On top of which, the gain is noticeably high, so they can pump it out with the relatively restrained amplification of the apple devices.

External noise is blocked to a sufficient extent that music is immediate and enjoyable, and yet they don't give the "shut-in" feeling of some of the ear canal phones (Etymotics, for example). The cord is perfect for portable use, and there's no transmitted cord noise when moving about.

They come also with a neat spool to wind the cord when not in use, a microphone and controls for your ipod/pad/phone (I still have reservations about a remote control being needed for this sort of use, but at least commend the placement of the mic at mouth level, rather than somewhere mid-chest as often seems to be the case with these inline devices) and a tidy little leatherette pouch.

I have more expensive phones that sound marginally better when heard in a very quiet room, but for real life, street and gym, use, I can't imagine why anyone would ever need anything more than these.

Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 Oct 2012
After several pairs of the mm50i, some of them fake (ebay), some of them real, I gave up on them... they broke down really quickly (even the original ones), lasted 3-6 months maximum as I use them every day, for music and phone calls equally. Also the lack of remote made them uncomfortable to use.
The MM70i is what I always needed: been using it now extensively for 9 months, no cracks, no flaws, great sound quality, the remote is small and light, still very useful, price is ok for what you get.
Fully recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars good sound quality for a short short while, 4 Jun 2012
took about 2 months before i lost all sound in one ear. apparently a common problem. good sound quality but if it doesn't last whats the point?

4.0 out of 5 stars top quality, 28 Jun 2011
The Sennheiser MM70 are very good quaility ear buds. OnceI had run them in (took about 15 - 20 hours) the depth of sound is comparable to earphones at twice the price.

The remote is a very good addition, however the control panal is not very ergonomic and I find that it can catch on buttons. The other minor criticism is that these are the asymmetric type earphones (which I prefer) but the "short" cable which has the control panel and mic is too long (about 30cm) and I find that it loops round too much.

Aside from these minor grumbles they are very good earphones with excellent sound quaility - which is the most important thing.