5.0 out of 5 stars This is Much More Than A Weight Loss Plan
Published 18 months ago by Liz

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather. " excessive" weight loss/health improvement" book.
I much prefer the Dr T C Campbell's "The China Study" or the Dr John McDougall, book, " The Starch Solution". Dr Fuhrman comes across rather " fanatical" for me.
Published 4 months ago by robin47

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Much More Than A Weight Loss Plan, 5 Feb 2013
I hardly ever think of giving feedback on things I buy but this book is so good that I want to share the knowledge! This is a weight loss plan but it is so much more than that. This is an eating plan for a longer life and for the best of health.The whole book is about how to eat in the way that science shows to be the best for optimum health. There is information that you are not getting from the health authorities.

Dr. Furhman favours a plant based diet because that is what all the studies show to be the optimum for us. But there are recipes for non vegetarians too.
The weight loss plan is based on eating nutritious foods that keep you from ever being hungry. The diet has a 6 week starter set out. You can follow the diet he sets out or your own adaptation based on the knowledge in the book.

I decided to follow it as set out. I have cooked the recipes he gives and stuck to his menus almost 100%. The recipes are delicious and very filling. Someone said the recipes were no good but I could not disagree more. Maybe that reviewer is used to a very unhealthy diet! I am a strict vegetarian (ie no animal products at all) so the fresh food, delicious vegetable soups and salads he prescribes suit me very well.

You never feel hungry on this plan and the reason is that the food is bulky and very filling and is so nutritious that your body is not craving for any nutrients.

I strongly recommend this book. Eat to Live: The Amazing Nutrient-Rich Program for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't give this diet up, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Eat To Live: The Amazing Nutrient Rich Program for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss (Abridged Version) (Kindle Edition with Audio/Video)
Started this diet 14 weeks ago. I have coeliac disease, fibromyalgia, migraines weekly this has progressively been like this since I was very young. I had a very restricted life Since I started the diet the gluten side of my diet was sorted straight away so no trouble. the migraines stopped immediately and have had only one . the fibro has really eased not much pain and gradually starting to feel more energetic I have lost 14 lbs, it wasnt why i did this as i wasnt very over weight lots of people who know me say I look really well I cant believe that I have found a diet that really does what it says makes you feel we'll, I have tried many but failed for different reasons usually hunger. I use to have a really sweet tooth but have not missed the cake biscuits etc i feel very well fed no cravings. Since then I have bought 2more of dr fuhrmans books as this explains why to do the diet but the eat healthy one explains better how to apply it. I can only say try this for yourself

5.0 out of 5 stars this is going to work., 19 Mar 2010
Mme S. Allen "foursou" (Midi Pyrenees, France) - See all my reviews
I have angina, hence the will to improve my health, and this book is making sense. I have had no advice from my doctors, just lose weight is all they said. This man explains why. Its very repetitive, but maybe that way the message might actually sink in.
I dont know how long I can keep the extreme diet up, but so far I have lost 10lbs in 2 weeks. So, thats not bad, and I feel well in myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat to Live, 30 Aug 2010
This book explains, with excellent reasoning, the real food issues.
This book was recommended by someone very close to me, and I cannot thank him enough.
I am now much better educated about food.The explanatory diagrams are good and simple to understand.
These should be copied and put on the fridge.
The main aim of the book is to prevent illness and it makes a great contribution to wellness.
I will certainly be buying the new issue out shortly.
Thank you Joel Fuhrman,M.D., you will never know how much this book has meant to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 24 Mar 2013
Used Dr Fuhrman's plan and lost 30lb in 6 weeks. Slackened off a little over the holiday period and weight stayed the same. Into it again in the next few weks and want to lose another 15 - 30 lb

4.0 out of 5 stars Eating towards longevity?, 22 May 2003
D. Sammut (Attard, Malta) - See all my reviews
'Eat to live' focuses on eating food that is high in vitamins and nutrients excluding anything based on fat and refined carbohydrates. The book kicks off with a description of why the American diet is hazardous. Dr. Fuhrman practices in the US, so not much focus is given to the European diet. A thorough analysis of today's fad diets is given in subsequent chapters. Dr. Fuhrman manages to scientifically prove the failure of these diets in a coherent, easy manner that is understandable by most readers. The last part of the book deals with his eating regime. Although the book is interesting, I found the style rather irritating in that it looks as if the author is trying to 'sell' his diet (America's entrepreneurial culture at work!). This is quite unfortunate since Dr. Fuhrman's arguments make sense and that should be enough to convince anyone to go for his eating regime.
I just started following his recommendations. My first impressions are quite positive - even my complexion seems to have improved! However, for someone in love with pasta, chicken and fish, the new eating habit will prove quite a struggle. Hopefully, the case studies given throughout the book will inspire me to stick to Dr. Fuhrman's healthy eating regime.

4.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense Weight Loss, 31 Aug 2013
The book was out of print so I brought the e-book. Easy to read and understand. Interesting success stories. Common sense approach to weight loss

5.0 out of 5 stars Radical, based on sound principles - UPDATE: WARNING, 25 April 2010
hfffoman (Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
UPDATE - several years after reading this book I suffered an unexplained spinal fracture and discovered I had severe vitamin D deficiency, which is very dangerous. I do not know if following the book was the cause. It is possible that a very high fibre diet inhibits absorption. It turns out there is practically an epidemic of vitamin D deficieny in Britain so if you take on any new diet I would recommend getting a test. My original review follows:

I write from the perspective of someone with a scientific education and a belief that much of what is written about dieting is scientifically incorrect. The author of this book clearly agrees.

He argues that the foods we consider to be nourishing are in fact low in nutrition. We tend to measure nutrition in terms of grams of protein per 100 grams of the food. He says it would be better to record the number of grams of protein per calorie. He shows that under this approach steak has a lower protein level than most vegetables. Because steak has more fat and carbohydrate, in order to get the same amount of protein you have to eat more calories. I believe this argument is absolutely sound.

He extends his argument beyond protein to show that most of our staple foods are low in many nutrients. The basis of his diet is that by changing the foods we eat, we can eat more and lose weight. This appears to be correct.

If you follow this diet you are more likely to be successful in losing weight and keeping it off than just about any other diet. You will, however, have to get used to eating huge quantities of fruit and vegetables and practically no cheese, cake, chocolate, meat, biscuits, crisps, ice-creametc. Sugar, salt, even dried fruit and fruit juice are out.

The good news is that you will not feel hungry. Other diets give you more of the food you want but are less filling.

The style is sensationalist but he does not make incorrect assertions in the way other sensationalist diet authors do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says on the tin, 7 Aug 2012
Having fought a losing battle against an ever expanding waistline and tried a variety of approaches which had mediocre effects at best I stumbled across this book. After a couple of weeks I noticed I was, uncharacteristically, passing up junk food opportunities that presented themselves (would you like a cake with your coffee, sir?) Now, a little over six weeks in, I have had to tighten my belt two notches.

I am a physician and spent some time working as a diabetologist. I knew then and I know mow that the conventional medicine approach to treating type 2 diabetes does not work. I never bought the simplistic approach to weight control (if you eat less calories that you burn you will loose weight). The quality of the food - the non calorie components - play a role also. I was just never clear how to put this into practice. Now I know.

I have a certain advantage in that I like salad. It was a big thing in our house growing up. Dad grew lettuce and tomatoes and fruit in the garden. Mum was big into salads so for me salad is family meals on a sunny evening; the starter for Sunday lunch; family picnics etc. This probably explains why in my early 20s I was 70kg (6' 2") with a cholesterol of 2.1 (Yes, 2.1).

I take a large mixing bowl every morning and put lettuces and other salad veg into it. Then I add various fruits (which sweetens the whole thing up nicely). I tried some dressings but just adding some water to bring out the fruit and other juices works just as well for me. I fry a few mushrooms. I eat a pasta bowl of this for breakfast, put the rest in the fridge and eat the rest during the day. Dinner starts with cleaning up the last of the salad and then the diet kind of goes in the bin I'm afraid. I am being less than rigorous about this. Weirdly, when I do overdo the junk food (and I more than occasionally do, I'm afraid) I find myself rooting out my salad box afterwards. In spite of the less than rigorous approach the weight is still falling off.

This approach has worked spectacularly well for me. I may go back to clinical practice now that I have found something that actually works for weight loss, diabetes, cardiovascular disease. The book, naturally, has an American bent. I had to adapt the foods used to what is more widely available in this part of the world and the recipes are not really to my taste.

I had many reasons for wanting to loose weight. All the usual ones and also a kind of pride - I am a doctor and an academic. For all my learning and research I was not able to control this thing. My body was kicking my ever expanding pants. Not any more. Now I know how to loose weight in a healthy and sustainable way. It's taken over 20 years to lean this. The sad thing is, when I was young I did know. I just did not know I knew.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eat to live: Joel Fuhrman, 23 Feb 2014
Interesting and life changing book. I am following the six week plan and am loving it the idea of eating as much as you like on raw and greens vegetables intrigues me.