5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book
Published on 4 Oct. 2009 by C. Donner

Gillian Rose wrote this short book over the two years before she died of cancer. She reflects on the illnesses and deaths of her friends and on her life - this was all striking and memorable - and these sections of the book I would highly recommend.

Published on 4 Aug. 2011 by William Jordan

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 4 Oct. 2009
C. Donner (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love's Work (Hardcover)
I came into contact with Gillian Rose's work through her more challenging academic works and very much enjoyed her take on the world so upon the advise of my lecturer I bought this book. This autobiography is now one of my favourite books, it is beautifully written and easily accessible as well as thought provoking and quite touching. A story of not only her life but of the extraordinary people she encountered. I thoroughly advise this to anyone, especially those with even a fleeting interest in philosophy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Love's Work (New York Review Books Classics) (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book on friend's recommendation. It is perfect if you are new to philosophy and want to read something that is both readable and deep. The author moves seamlessly between her memoirs and her philosophical views. I particularly enjoyed warm narrative describing her ailing friends.
The book provides endless good quotes about love.

3.0 out of 5 stars some autobiography, some reflections on death, some philosophy, 4 Aug. 2011

Less recommendable, from my standpoint, were the more wide-ranging philosophical reflections. These range widely across the thought of authors with whom I'm not familiar, such as Hegel and Adorno. They don't of themselves make me read these authors; nor are they immediately intelligible and persuasive as free-standing reflections. But others with different backgrounds in philosophy may well find this more rewarding.

The book concludes with a poem about Gillian Rose and Love's Work written by Geoffrey Hill,written subsequently to the book. I found this too quite hard going (in the sense of figuring out what Hill is saying to us) - but it obviously is a "nice to have" addition to the original text and may well repay further readings and study.

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this - and that's all there is to say, 3 Sept. 2011
This is a beautifully written book and I really enjoyed reading it. You can wonder how someone could read a book about philosophy and living with cancer for pleasure - but this is more about love, love's work in fact. I won't say more, as more undoes the effect of the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful language, boring message, 16 Jan. 2014
I wanted to like this memoir. It's written by a dying woman philosopher, and I thought it would be inspiring and moving, but it was neither. The constant insistence on very long, latin-derived words and the often tortured grammar distance the reader from the contents. The contents themselves are grim; not inspiring, but a wilfully bleak look at others' pain and that of the author. I really, really don't want to know the details of someone's colostomy bag! How is that going to inspire or improve my understanding? Gillian Rose has written a convoluted, unnecessarily complicated, painfully grim piece of work. Nobody will feel better for reading it. What a dreadful way to leave the world. Yes, I was sorry for her, but I really wish I hadn't read it.