5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return
Published on 9 Oct 2010 by lucy_loops

3.0 out of 5 stars I'll have the other 43 please
I'm a huge fan of their live act, and of their first three albums; indeed live music seems to be what they enjoy most. They are also a very different animal live, especially compared to this release.
The teaser single "Because of you" really got my hopes up, it being a truly awesome track, with all the drama, power and intensity that I love them for. Last year in...
Published on 24 Sep 2010 by M Smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return, 9 Oct 2010
This review is from: Wonderlustre (MP3 Download)
Wonderlustre is a truly stunning offering from Skunk Anansie that has in my opinion been massively underrated by UK press who have wrongly mistaken it as a nostalgia trip , far from a walk down memory lane this album is fresh and contemporary whilst fully maintaining the pure essence of Skunk Anansie. It shows a certain degree of development for them both , musically artistically and as individuals and it is by far the most cohesive album they have every released. The opening track 'God Loves Only You' is a firm favourite for me that perfectly explains my pervious statement, soaring vocals and beautifully building throughout make this a real stand out track. "Feeling the itch" is another fine example of this it shines with a foot thumping chorus and beautiful vocals from Skin . I can understand why some people may be wary about daring to like this album but those that slam it for not being exactly the same at Post Orgasmic Chill or Stoosh are missing the point and need to crawl out of the timewarp. How can they be expected to live and write as if they are in the 90's? I've read some previous reviews that say they've 'lost their anger' thats visible in earlier releases.... I beg to differ. they have simply learned how to harness their anger in a more fluid , intelligent and ultimately slicker manner. The subject matter and meaningful lyrics are all still there, just presented in a way made for this decade. And for me I have fallen more and more in love with this album with each listen, definitely a grower.
All that said those that prefer the raw , in your face, aggression offered in past albums will still find every inch of it in their live performance. I managed to catch them at Sonisphere this summer and last year at Brixton and every moment was a thrilling , ballsy, wall of sound. Skin is, I believe - the most amazing front woman in rock today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just loving Wonderlustre, 9 Oct 2010
This review is from: Wonderlustre (MP3 Download)
If you like the earlier albums you will love this, Skin still has the best female vocals, and long may the band continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Grown Up, 9 Oct 2010
Ms. C. Lewis (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wonderlustre (MP3 Download)
The Diva comes of age! Skin truly has a voice to die for. Without losing the power and passion of the Skunk Anansie we know and love, this album shows an evolution to mature lyrical melodic musicianship by all. SA has an ability to excite in a way other bands will never achieve. I love this album more each time I play it and I was hooked from the start!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Aug 2011
Ms. M. Cheung (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wonderlustre [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I love Skank Anansie, I love Skin's voice. The intervening years have been so quiet, I looked forward to Skin's solo work but was disappointed as it never reached what she acheived with Skunk. Now they're back, and it's a brilliant album - each song is a stand-out track. Skin's voice is utilised to reach its maximum effectiveness, I may have died and gone to heaven!

5.0 out of 5 stars Onwards and upwards, 17 Nov 2010
Thomas Minney (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wonderlustre (Audio CD)
We love the trash and thrash, the anger and the biting words of the old Skunk Anansie, plus melancholy and bleakness as well as love. Its all here but this time deeper, this is an album that grows with every listen, its going to be my album of the year. The old SA was great, and new SA builds on that but taking us somewhere new. The songs are great, the vocals excellent as always, but SA are still creating and honest and so alive, avoiding ruts but building on all the best of the past and bringing new magic. Now to see them live!

5.0 out of 5 stars skunk anansie : wonderlustre, 6 Nov 2010
This review is from: Wonderlustre (Audio CD)
being a massive skunk anansie fan (back in the day - as they say!)i was excited and nervous upon hearing they were re-forming.with the press screaming 'comeback'i was preparing myself for either A)a re-hash of old glories (which while having their place in my heart and history would have sounded dated nowadays) or B) a new mature sound thats lost its way and shouldnt have been. so its with a big WOOOOO HOOOOO that i can report its argueabley their best album.its them but with a fresher polished updated feel.theres still foot stomping angst,catchy hooks,massive heartfelt choruses,skins excellent vulnerable/teasing/confrontational vocals,but theres no 'filler' tracks now that feel disjointed and lack direction.the whole album is more streamlined and a joy to listen too.its one of those albums when you know straight away its something special and you dont need a few listens to get into it.i'm rambling now! time to go. basically if youre a fan YOU WILL LOVE THIS!!!! BUY IT NOW!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great comeback, 28 Oct 2010
M. Brown "The Deceiver" (Felixstowe, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wonderlustre (Audio CD)
Wow! Why did they ever split up in the first place? This is just as good as their earlier albums and better than Skin's solo albums though they are pretty good in their own right. They still have the excellent mix of louder and quieter tracks, they still have interesting lyrics, and, of course, they still have great vocals. If you liked any of their first three albums then buy this, if you're young and have never heard of Skunk Anansie but like indie rock with a heavier edge to it then I can recommend this album (then buy their brilliant earlier three albums!). A great comeback, now don't go and split up again!

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome release, 23 Oct 2010
G. Turner "Morricone's a genius" (norfolk, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wonderlustre (Audio CD)
Oh wow was this needed. After years of repeated listenings of their first three albums (and the teasing flirtation of Fake Chemical State and Fleshwounds) it left a longing and a yearning like a lost love you didn't manage to climax with. Then last year, reformation and three new tracks. And my oh my! Because of you and Squander were just stonkingly awesome. What a tease not releasing a full album. Just like dangling the key in front of your chasity belt. Finally after all this time Wonderlustre and the belt is finally off. While having no stand out tracks like Squander, Weak or Charlie big potato etc It's a fantastic listen with my personal favourites being the uplifting IT DOESN'T MATTER and the catchy FEELING THE ITCH. While not perfect, listening to this was like the feeling of release after years of pent up yearning. Very much need I must say. And a big big thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful album...!, 22 Oct 2010
J. van der Lugt (Cape Town) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wonderlustre (Audio CD)
The more I listen to Wonderlustre the more stunned I am by this incredible album. Yes, it's not Stoosh, but that was 1996. The opening track pretty much set the tone. It's melancholy. It's just beautiful. Having seen them live in concert twice during the 1990s, I hope I'll be able to catch them again soon. Skin's onstage energy is totally addictive.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it but I am still not convinced, 18 Oct 2010
This review is from: Wonderlustre (Audio CD)
I like this album and I recommend it to any fan of Skunk Anansie. However, in my opinion this is the worst album of theirs. It lacks some sharpness...it is mellow and seems like a continuation of post orgasmic chill, but just worse. don't get me wrong, I like it and I can't wait to see them live in November,it just they could do so much better than this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Wonderlustre
Wonderlustre by Skunk Anansie (Audio CD - 2010)