Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£7.49

on 1 April 2008
I have been a fan of both Greg Dulli and Mark Lanegan for over a decade now.

The thought of the pair teaming up is a mouth-watering one.

The album does not disappoint either. Lead vocals are usually a case of one or the other but both offer fine backing vox to each other.

Mark Lanegan opens proceedings with the superb The Stations which sets a high standard for the rest of the album. The duo don't let up. Each track is crafted beautifully and the 52 minutes simply fly by.

Current favourite track is I Was In Love With You. Greg on lead vocals, sounding like The Jesus & Mary Chain's Jim Reid fronting late-period Beatles.

I still buy most new music on vinyl. I'm no technophobe though. I have an iPod and it was a welcome surprise to find a slip of paper tucked inbetween the two records offering me a free MP3 download of the entire disc from the Sub Pop website. Very thoughtful, most welcome and I emplore the other labels to follow suit.
0Comment3 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2008
Some superb reviews here, not much more you can add really. A fine album, and so much more than "Idle Hands", which as a single is quite misleading as to how rest of the album sounds. Having purchased it on the strength of the Screaming Trees/Queens of the Stone Age connection, I was perhaps expecting something a bit heavier. I honestly only expected something that sounded like a QOTSA side project, somewhere between Masters of Reality's "Deep in the hole" and the Desert Sessions 7/8. But Saturnalia stands on its own just fine. It's terrific hearing Lanegan's vocals again, and probably the best album i've heard this year. Just don't expect anything as up-tempo as "Hangin' tree".
on 4 February 2015
Mark and Greg work together and compliment each other. A brilliant album.
on 2 August 2014
Another good offering from Greg Dulli and friends.
on 12 November 2008
I'm amazed that this record has gotten some poor reviews on Amazon. It's far and away the best record of the year. Perhaps the problem is that it takes time to reveal its brilliance. Like The Afghan Whigs' records, you have to give it time. One listen just isn't going to do it - otherwise songs like Seven Stories Underground or The Body are going to pass you by. The really great albums are the ones that grow and grow on you. Those that are instantly accessible generally lose their sheen pretty quickly. Thankfully, Dulli and Lanegan's recordings fall into the former category and Saturnalia is no exception. They're fantastic live as well, by the way.
0Comment1 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2016
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2010
This is an excellent collaboration from a couple of blokes you'd rightly describe as grunge/post-grunge 'nobility'. I didn't hear this album until mid-2009 but I've since given it a thorough pasting and bought it for four other people it's that good, it really is. It's bluesy, gritty, grungey and absolutely perfect listening for a very late night in a dark-ish room having probably overdone it on beer, whisky and cigarettes. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the tracks end up on a few movie soundtracks over the next few years.
on 22 March 2009
Pains me to say this, because I normally slobber in an undignified and unbiased fashion over everything Greg Dulli does, but- this album really didn't reach me. Perhaps it's just because Lanegan takes the vocals on half the tracks- yes he's impressively gravelly, but not moving...

that said, below par for these guys is still one HELL of a lot better than most stuff out there... so, four stars.

But for the vacillating customer, I should buy Twilight Singers's Powder Burns or Blackberry Belle before this one...
on 5 November 2008
Compared to the worst Lanegan album this album is ten times worse.Even after giving it more then 10 chances I don't like it. The albums together with Isobel Campbel are also not as good as his solowork, but at least I can play it when my mother visits me. Saturnalia is not good for anything.
Please go solo again. Let Greg and Isobel make an album together. I hope for a new Mark Lanegan solo album.
0Comment3 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 2008
Imagine a competition between Brian Jones & Jimi Hendrix. On the drug intake these two wouldnt be beaten, so therefore a tie methinks (well maybe Keith Moon would argue). But on the musical front only one really endures when one is fondly remembered. Well this record is to Dulli far more important that it is to Lanegan. The Afghanwhigs are my favourite band of all time, a band whos broken hearts & smashed dreams littered my youth like the ruins that haunted many an anxed teen in the early 90's. As for Lanegan he has always been the voice for hire ever since the screaming trees called it time in about 97. After that he has popped up on classic record after classic record. In fact it is rare to hear a CD nowadays without Lanegans gravely tones over a part of it. Now together this record sounds exactly as you would imagine it would. Not really a coherent collection of songs rather a soundscape splattered with a bloody blueprint of what might've been.
0Comment2 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse