on 23 June 2011
I am just so surprised that anyone would give this camera one star, let alone send it back! It's genuinely amazing. I sold my Olympus DSLR as I needed an ultra portable photographer's `pen-knife' which could manage a myriad of jobs with great aplomb. I have not been disappointed. The image quality, functionality and video are superb. It can be used as a point and shoot, but it's capable of so much more than that. If you really get hands on with some of the manual settings, superb results can be achieved. And I completely agree with the reviews which have taken to task those who complain of graininess of high ISO settings. Naturally...it's a camera and follows the basic principles of photography. The reality is, 100 and 200 are typically as much as you'll ever need. Working with shutter speeds and the many other functions have created excellent low light images for me. As for those comments of general graininess at lower ISO settings, simply not the case in my experience. The zoom, frame-burst and macro settings are stunning and the HD video is on par with the quality of Panasonic's dedicated consumer HD video camera range. All in all, I would say that this piece of kit does it all and if you are looking for a tool which is light, takes up little space and covers all bases...this is the bridge camera for you!
on 19 September 2010
I have had this camera for about a week now and I am so pleased with it.

The ease of use with the different scene modes is superb and for the more technically minded you got use all the different manual settings the create that perfect photo.

I have made some excellent hd movies with this camera with very good sound which makes a change from some of the other dslr's that i have used.

Excellent battery life and the fold out lcd screen is a great idea as you now can review your photos easily without all those nose smudge marks.

Got to give this camera top marks
on 16 September 2010
I've had a day to play with the new DMC-FZ100, the first results are very good if you stay below 400 iso, its taking impressive pictures and videos.
If you're pixel peeping and want low light and high iso, you need to get a DSLR like the Nikon D5000, very good in low light.
on 7 December 2010
I have been exceptionally pleased with this camera; I bought it as a second camera to take on walks as I find my DSLR far too heavy. It was very easy to learn how to use and produces good quality images. The zoom is quite amazing. I find that using the automatic features sometimes works with a higher ISO than I would use manually with the result that you end up with more noise; this is especially so in low light situations where I would use a low ISO and put the camera on a tripod.Panasonic Lumix FZ100 14.1MP Digital Camera - Black (3.0 inch TFT LCD Display, LEICA DC Lens with 24x Optical Zoom and Full HD Movie)
on 22 August 2010
Having read loads of reviews about Panasonic cameras, I went for the plunge and for this flagship hybrid. Yes it has more features than I would ever use as happy snapper, but the quality of the build and pictures are 1st class. Like most I suppose, I did read lots of reviews on Sony, Canon, etc....but as I was advised, it's all down to the lens and not the amount of pixels. Leica and Carl Zeiss being the very best and with theses attatched to a camera, you really can't go wrong...:-)
on 9 November 2010
Going for the Lumix FZ100 wasn't an easy choice. There are lots of digital camera's out there, but the 2 things that mattered were 1 - a good Leica lens and 2 - a zoom powerful enough to cover everything between 25 - 600 mm (equivalent analogue)
Clicking round all the menus seemed to be intuitive rather than confusing and as you'd expect, the images are stunning. Not cheap then - but it's just as happy being a "point and shoot" as it it being a highly capable enthusiasts camera.
on 6 November 2010
Since writing my quick review below, my mind hasn't changed a bit. I have read many reviews about this camera and have come to the conclusion that almost all of the people who review it poorly have bought the wrong camera. It is not supposed to be a professional's tool, but some professionals use it, it is a bridge camera, an excellent Jack of all Trades, which is why it has a built in lens and a 24x zoom. The options it gives are tremendous, a camera for learning about photography or taking brilliant holiday snaps in auto mode or for the enthusiast(photo or anything else). Click on and look at the range of pictures just under the camera at the top of the page, how did we get these? Noise, well if you are really picky spend at least £600 on a DSLR and maybe get not too much better. Build, nothing wrong with it, almost all of us reviewers surely can't be wrong. The FZ 100 camera is superb!

I had the superb FZ 18 for two years before the 14 Mb, 24x zoom using OIS (25-600mm equiv,) HD Movie, flip out screen and Amazon's great price persuaded me to buy this camera two months ago. Having just returned from a holiday in Vietnam and Cambodia using up 4 1/2, 4Gb SDHC cards at 14 Mbit and HD, it is head and shoulders above the old camera and I have some fabulous shots (to me anyway) and film. Without OIS, in programmed mode I can get 40x zoom but need a tripod.

One drawback, sometimes the camera is too clever for its own good and confuses itself or won't focus properly, but with more practice I am sure that I will overcome this. The camera is self intuitive and there is much more to discover.

Just take my word for it, if you are disappointed you should have bought the expensive DSLR you've always wanted with the hassle of expensive extra lenses etc etc.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
1414 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2011
This is the first bridge style camera i have bought and i am very impressed. Not only is it easy to use but with the individual settings and massive zoom there is real potential if i ever want to be creative. The quality of the images is outstanding. I would recommend this camera to anyone looking to move up a stage from the normal digital compact.
on 27 June 2011
As a previous owner of full systems of SLR and Lenses, using 35mm film, for some years, I went over to the shirt-pocket digitals once they got to 10x zoom technology, as carrying a large bag everwhere began to pall. The results are outstanding bearing in mind how compact are were. Every year new models come out with various features as is usual with technology these days.

Eventually I was tempted to upgrade again and the new niche market they call 'Bridge' cameras with huge zoom lenses seemed to fit my own requirements. I began the usual comparison search. The short list came to Fuji HS20, Nikon P500,Sony HX100V, Olympus SZ-30MR and Panasonic DMC FZ100.

The FZ100 just fitted my own criteria better, and so far has proved to be extremely competent at all the usual tasks required of this kind of tool. I won't review its performance here as there are many reviews by experts posted on line where they have been able to try all the models in tests against each other. Many of those reviewers were impressed by the FZ100, recommending it as a good all rounder, and I would agree with them.

It is a good compromise for someone wanting an excellent point and shoot camera but also giving the operator full control manually if their technical experience was up to that, or where the circumstances demanded that control.

Lack of a manual in the box is annoying and led to a somewhat frustrating trial and error search through the menu to set the various parameters for my own requirements. The CD is there of course, but viewing on the PC isn't satisfactory, and who wants to print off a huge loose leaf manual with the price of printing ink exceeding gold dust.

To summarise, I have found the FZ100 to be a very competent camera. It has exceeded my expectations, which in this day and age is itself a refreshing surprise.
on 10 February 2011
Unfortunately, I have to agree with another reviewer (RVB) here.

I used to own an FZ18 about 3 years ago, and I really liked it. After that, I upgraded to a DSLR, and totally fell in love with it. 3 years on, I was intrigued to see how the technology has progressed in the last 3 years (since my FZ18) with super-zooms and fancied something smaller than my big DSLR for an extended trip I'm planning.

The image quality from the FZ100 is extremely disappointing. I KNOW I'm saying that because I got used to the image quality and clarity I can get from my DSLR, so in a way, I'm biased.

Even at ISO100, when zoomed in to 100% (or even less), smearing and loss of detail due to image processing/noise reduction is appalling. I was ready (having read that in the reviews) for a much-reduced image quality at higher ISO, compared to a DSLR, but no way smeared images at ISO100 should be acceptable.

I tried different settings, but it was fairly obvious no amount of fiddling could get rid of this fundamental problem. The pictures look ok at the first glance, and at about 25% magnification, but look at them at their full resolution... awful. I even compared them with the FZ18 pictures, and the FZ18 ones look better. The reason for this? My old FZ18 has just over half of the pixels (of the FZ100) on the sensor that's a tiny fraction smaller than the one in FZ100. FZ100 simply has too small a sensor to be able to produce quality 14 megapixel pictures.

I'm going to try and return this camera. Lesson learned.

I gave it two stars (and not one) for the versatility, decent video mode, and a lot of functions and customization options offered.
1010 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

See one answered question